Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a 2012 Kia optima hybrid with 115k miles. It was a replacement for a totalled vehicle. After we bought it, I started reading all the things about this car. The VIN comes back "no recall", but how do I know that is true? 1.5weeks after having it, the car is doing weird stuff, and I'm hoping it is all easy to fix 馃槵
Example, the car wouldn't start for me this morning at 5:45am, but started for my husband at 10am. Had a u0111 code this evening, but then the check engine light turned off next time I started it.

Registered
2013 Kia Optima
We recently purchased a 2012 Kia optima hybrid with 115k miles. It was a replacement for a totalled vehicle. After we bought it, I started reading all the things about this car. The VIN comes back "no recall", but how do I know that is true? 1.5weeks after having it, the car is doing weird stuff, and I'm hoping it is all easy to fix 馃槵
Example, the car wouldn't start for me this morning at 5:45am, but started for my husband at 10am. Had a u0111 code this evening, but then the check engine light turned off next time I started it.

Registered
13 Ebony SXL Turbo Touring & Tech Pkgs: Original Everything 195K Drag wheels
Hmmm 2012 and its 2021, how about a new fob battery?

Registered
2011 Kia Optima
The first problem is that you purchased a Kia.
Although not an answer to the current problem, as that has been answered above, did find the recent recall (12-2020) on the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, but as same junk engine used in Kia, assume same problems.
Good luck

Registered
13 Ebony SXL Turbo Touring & Tech Pkgs: Original Everything 195K Drag wheels
Don't really know yet its worth a try, just a few bucks for a 2032 button cell. Though honestly reading thru that code implies most likely cause is loss of ground or power to the control unit mentioned. Its really beyond most folks so I'd suggest biting the bullet and take it to a mechanic you trust yet not the dealer. You could also look thru the TSBs for anything related here: 2012 Kia Optima TSBs | CarComplaints.com

Service manual may have something on it too: Kia Optima owners manuals, user guides, repair, service manuals

Luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't really know yet its worth a try, just a few bucks for a 2032 button cell. Though honestly reading thru that code implies most likely cause is loss of ground or power to the control unit mentioned. Its really beyond most folks so I'd suggest biting the bullet and take it to a mechanic you trust yet not the dealer.
Luck.
Thank you! I was thinking just yesterday about how I had no reason to think the dealership would be able to fix anything. We have a local mechanic who used to work on our Mercury, that I'd trust, and we've always had a great experience at our local Toyota dealership. I'm thinking the Toyota dealership wouldn't know what to do with all the unique problems a Kia has 馃し馃徑鈥嶁檧锔

I did find a hint somewhere on these forums about using the start button without the brake, and the check engine light went off. It might be important to note that the check engine light came on in conjunction with the steering wheel being at an angle while parked. That seemed to throw everything off. Could be causation, could be correlation. Not sure which.

Registered
It will show no recall but if your engine fails it is covered. Basically, the way that I understood it when I had my own used 2012 optima sx's engine replaced at 86,000 miles, is that it appears that way bc Kia isn't repairing something that isn't broken.... uhhhh, hrrrmmmm, yet. But I love my optima and have no regrets purchasing, even tho I only put 4,000 miles on it before she blew.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts