Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,738 Posts
I thought the Kias were known for having robust transmissions.

They wouldn't have that reputation if the dealership was correct.

You'll come to learn not to trust anything the dealership says. The people working there have no incentive to learn how cars work. They just learn how to say things to get people to buy cars.

· Registered
2,738 Posts
Yeah I feel like, for the analogy to work, you need to have the same power output, which would result in the slippage you describe in the analogy to sandpaper bike.

But for the car, I think the analogy doesn't apply, because the power output is NOT the same, you get less power to avoid slippage, and so if you demand more power, the transmission will just downshift.

I think that's the key difference: with our cars in ECO, the gears are held longer before downshift because the car will produce lower power output as expected. So instead of slipping to get more power, it just gives you less power and you are OK with that because it's in ECO and you realize it's just in a higher gear with lower power, because you don't need the power.

· Registered
2,738 Posts
the slippage only occurs when the clutches are disengaging and then re-ingaging.
Would you say, the clutches experience the same wear under low load or high load?

Would ECO mode put less torque on the clutches because you are in a higher gear, with less power output?

Under sport, the clutches get more wear because there is more torque or power output that the clutches must overcome.

This is an interesting topic. Is there any literature or analysis about what makes clutches wear out in transmissions? I thought it was mostly from how much torque you are putting out when shifting, so that staying in higher gears longer babies the clutches and makes them last longer when you use ECO?

So with ECO, you shift less frequently. Wouldn't that be a factor? In sport, you shift more often, so you wear the clutches faster. I feel like the torque difference, and the difference in number of shifts, both favor ECO to give you longer transmission life?

· Registered
2,738 Posts
I find it fun to put that shifter over to the left and run the gears myself. Heck, gas is cheap LOL
Try using that manual shift mode, but not shifting. The car will still automatically shift for you but wait until the last minute before redline, so you get to rev higher than you could if you manually shift earlier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts