Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had my 2013 Kia's engine to seize up and it was replaced due to the recall. It had metal shavings in it which caused the trouble. If I use synthetic oil in the engine instead of the standard oil would that negate the warranty?
Thank you,
SCase60

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
Nothing you can do or could have done to prevent the engine problem.
The new engine comes with a Lifetime Warranty, so just change the oil, dino or synthetic in specified viscosity, along with the filter at mileage recommended in the owners manual and drive the car.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,535 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Sorry to hear about your engine seizing up like that.

No, using synthetic oil would only help, not make the issue more present, as far as I know.

Hopefully they take care of the engine replacement under the recall for you.

-David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing you can do or could have done to prevent the engine problem.
The new engine comes with a Lifetime Warranty, so just change the oil, dino or synthetic in specified viscosity, along with the filter at mileage recommended in the owners manual and drive the car.
Thank you
Stephen Case

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Sorry to hear about your engine seizing up like that.

No, using synthetic oil would only help, not make the issue more present, as far as I know.

Hopefully they take care of the engine replacement under the recall for you.

-David
Thank you
Stephen Case

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
Is your 2013 the 2.4 or 2.0T? If turbo, you should strongly consider synthetic because the turbo can get very hot, which is hard on the oil (reduces viscosity). I've heard that synthetic is better at retaining the rated viscosity when subjected to high heat like with the turbo (e.g., drive hard, turbo gets hot, park the car, oil inside the turbo cooks while turbo cools).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your 2013 the 2.4 or 2.0T? If turbo, you should strongly consider synthetic because the turbo can get very hot, which is hard on the oil (reduces viscosity). I've heard that synthetic is better at retaining the rated viscosity when subjected to high heat like with the turbo (e.g., drive hard, turbo gets hot, park the car, oil inside the turbo cooks while turbo cools).
Thank you,
Stephen Case

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have recently had my 2013 Kia's engine to seize up and it was replaced due to the recall. It had metal shavings in it which caused the trouble. If I use synthetic oil in the engine instead of the standard oil would that negate the warranty?
Thank you,
SCase60
Please post your experience after they replace your engine. ie: Renting a car, How long did it take?

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
3 Posts
Did you notice your engine burning oil before it seized? I noticed mine burning oil right after warranty went out. Now at 115k miles it's burning more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts