Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had my 2013 Kia's engine to seize up and it was replaced due to the recall. It had metal shavings in it which caused the trouble. If I use synthetic oil in the engine instead of the standard oil would that negate the warranty?
Thank you,
SCase60

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Nothing you can do or could have done to prevent the engine problem.
The new engine comes with a Lifetime Warranty, so just change the oil, dino or synthetic in specified viscosity, along with the filter at mileage recommended in the owners manual and drive the car.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,677 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Sorry to hear about your engine seizing up like that.

No, using synthetic oil would only help, not make the issue more present, as far as I know.

Hopefully they take care of the engine replacement under the recall for you.

-David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing you can do or could have done to prevent the engine problem.
The new engine comes with a Lifetime Warranty, so just change the oil, dino or synthetic in specified viscosity, along with the filter at mileage recommended in the owners manual and drive the car.
Thank you
Stephen Case

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Sorry to hear about your engine seizing up like that.

No, using synthetic oil would only help, not make the issue more present, as far as I know.

Hopefully they take care of the engine replacement under the recall for you.

-David
Thank you
Stephen Case

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Is your 2013 the 2.4 or 2.0T? If turbo, you should strongly consider synthetic because the turbo can get very hot, which is hard on the oil (reduces viscosity). I've heard that synthetic is better at retaining the rated viscosity when subjected to high heat like with the turbo (e.g., drive hard, turbo gets hot, park the car, oil inside the turbo cooks while turbo cools).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is your 2013 the 2.4 or 2.0T? If turbo, you should strongly consider synthetic because the turbo can get very hot, which is hard on the oil (reduces viscosity). I've heard that synthetic is better at retaining the rated viscosity when subjected to high heat like with the turbo (e.g., drive hard, turbo gets hot, park the car, oil inside the turbo cooks while turbo cools).
Thank you,
Stephen Case

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have recently had my 2013 Kia's engine to seize up and it was replaced due to the recall. It had metal shavings in it which caused the trouble. If I use synthetic oil in the engine instead of the standard oil would that negate the warranty?
Thank you,
SCase60
Please post your experience after they replace your engine. ie: Renting a car, How long did it take?

·
Registered
2013 Optima Silver
9 Posts
Did you notice your engine burning oil before it seized? I noticed mine burning oil right after warranty went out. Now at 115k miles it's burning more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you notice your engine burning oil before it seized? I noticed mine burning oil right after warranty went out. Now at 115k miles it's burning more.
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I''ve just read you notice, but no it was not burning any oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please post your experience after they replace your engine. ie: Renting a car, How long did it take?
I apologize for taking so long, I have just read your post.
To replace the engine it took 2 weeks to do and we had to pay upfront for the car rental but was reimbursed for the cost from Kia. One thing, make sure that if this happens to anyone that they have a record of all the oil changes, doing the oil change ourselves does not count because it cannot be confirmed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it did not use any oil, it had about 139k miles on it, when it seized up, Also I want to apologize for taking so long, I've been away for a while..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had my 2013 Kia Optima EX taken to the Somerset, KY, Dealership, they checked it out and said that it was a metal shaving that caused the problem and so they replaced the engine for free, they also paid for the towing, my rental car too. I called Kia and the first question the lady asked was "Do I have a record of the oil changes, so if you change your own oil, make sure you keep a record.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
I had my 2013 Kia Optima EX taken to the Somerset, KY, Dealership, they checked it out and said that it was a metal shaving that caused the problem and so they replaced the engine for free, they also paid for the towing, my rental car too. I called Kia and the first question the lady asked was "Do I have a record of the oil changes, so if you change your own oil, make sure you keep a record.
If you change the oil often (severe 3.75k) - keep the dipstick level at / right near full - show the mechanics that the inside of your engine is clean, then you won't need any oil & filter receipts to get the engine replaced. The dealer must prove that you abused the engine and any halfway-decent lawyer will prove that you are innocent of abuse and also prove that thousands of engines have been replaced without virtue of oil receipts - that thousands more have been replaced because specific engine parts grenaded due to soft tooling (manufacturer defects).

The vehicle owners that need receipts are the ones that don't maintain the engine properly enough and it showed being dirty - once the head came off and inspected. Could that possibly be why the correspondent asked you for your oil receipts?

You claim it used no oil. Yet how positive are you that the dipstick level stayed at the full-mark because it never used any oil - or is it possible the oil was consumed thru fuel (dilution), which often raises the dipstick mark of the oil and fools the vehicle owner into thinking that no oil is being consumed.

Reactions: scase60

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The lady from Corporate Kia, asked about the receipts, not the dealership, when I wrote the earlier post I failed to explain, for this mistake I am sorry. I have my oil changed on a regular basis at a dealership.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
The Lady from Kia is doing her job. If you didn't have receipts, then you could have a lawyer do their job, assuming there's nothing abusive going on inside your engine.

Reactions: scase60
1 - 16 of 16 Posts