Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster. Dropped our 2012 optima off at the dealership to have some of the recalls fixed. One of the major recalls that I was concerned about was not performed. On the printout, it reads SC147 2.4L GDI & 2.0L T-GDI THETA ENGINE void - - recall no longer exists
Work not performed. The car has 154,000 miles. I thought the warranty for it was extended to 20 years, unlimited mileage. Going to call them in the morning. Just got back from vacation and picked the car up from the lot today (Sunday). Was curious if anyone had any insight into this before I’m possibly fed a line from the service dept. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Don't bother with the, sorry to say stupid stealership, call Kia direct as I've found them to be helpful, or at least more helpful than the stealership. My take is that the lifetime engine warranty is only good if the recalls/ updates have been performed, so assuming you don't have an engine problem there should be no reason they can't do the recalls/updates. A recall doesn't have an ending date as they continue until the manufacturer goes out of business or parts aren't available.

Our '89 RX7 has a lifetime warranty on the mouse seat belts and they still repair them today.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Also it could just be silly data entry for whoever put "void" in there.

Do you have the 2.0L T engine? Have you checked if your dipstick is orange color (recall performed) or yellow color (recall not performed)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also it could just be silly data entry for whoever put "void" in there.

Do you have the 2.0L T engine? Have you checked if your dipstick is orange color (recall performed) or yellow color (recall not performed)?
Still had the yellow dipstick. Oil also was not changed. Was thinking I read somewhere before that the oil was to be changed before performing the test also.
Thanks for the response guys. Waiting to hear back from service dept. will update

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Hope it turns out well.

Keep in mind you now have a good signal that you should avoid that dealership. This failure to perform a required recall to avoid a potentially hazardous condition just doesn't have a good excuse.

I hope you have some other dealerships you can go to instead.

But I'm really curious how the dealership explains the situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster. Dropped our 2012 optima off at the dealership to have some of the recalls fixed. One of the major recalls that I was concerned about was not performed. On the printout, it reads SC147 2.4L GDI & 2.0L T-GDI THETA ENGINE void - - recall no longer exists
Work not performed. The car has 154,000 miles. I thought the warranty for it was extended to 20 years, unlimited mileage. Going to call them in the morning. Just got back from vacation and picked the car up from the lot today (Sunday). Was curious if anyone had any insight into this before I’m possibly fed a line from the service dept. Thanks a bunch.
You have been bambozaled not only is that I’m true after having my engine replaced with 167,000 miles I’ve received a second notice that the engine will be replaced at any time if failure occurs for the lifetime of the vehicle. I’m sure corporate Kia would not be happy to hear about that dealerships.
By the way I have a 2011 Kia optima with a 2.0 TGDI

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
71 Posts
Yep not a good dealership just one of those things. Hope you dont get too much of a runaround. If I have this happen I think my first call will be to Kia customer service.

Last I knew it was 15yr unlimited, so this just keeps on morphing. Now its lifetime unlimited, for this specific failure?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Yep not a good dealership just one of those things. Hope you dont get too much of a runaround. If I have this happen I think my first call will be to Kia customer service.

Last I knew it was 15yr unlimited, so this just keeps on morphing. Now its lifetime unlimited, for this specific failure?
Yup, lifetime for any owner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is this warranty on all of kia's engines? My engine died at 200,000 miles on my 07 Optima with a 2.4, I bought the car new in 07. Mechanic said it sounded like the main bearing where going out on it. The mechanic said it was an engine failure.
I faithfully used Mobil 1 full synthetic since my very first oil change.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Is this warranty on all of kia's engines? My engine died at 200,000 miles on my 07 Optima with a 2.4, I bought the car new in 07. Mechanic said it sounded like the main bearing where going out on it. The mechanic said it was an engine failure.
I faithfully used Mobil 1 full synthetic since my very first oil change.
NO, IT'S A 2007 OPTIMA.
THIS IS A FORUM FOR THE 2011-2017.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to all of this...
My Optima locked up on my no warning at all.. had my oil changed 2 months ago and when I had it towed to my mechanic they looked at the dipstick and said " This oil hasn't been changed in a long time." Plus the oil was barely showing on the dipstick.
The stealership said I needed to bring the car to them and that there was no such recall "SC147" called Kia and got the same response... then called the nhtsa and they said my Vin was invalid...lol... gave it to them 3 times, the same one I gave to KIA ...lol... Kia found it, the NHTSA website found the vin but for some reason the individual on the phone just could not find it.
KIA Optima 2012 EX GDI... the letter states " ALL 2011-2013 Optima" ...
What I keep getting is that it is vin specific...lol...

No vehicle and getting the runaround from everywhere...

What should I do???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to all of this...
My Optima locked up on my no warning at all.. had my oil changed 2 months ago and when I had it towed to my mechanic they looked at the dipstick and said " This oil hasn't been changed in a long time." Plus the oil was barely showing on the dipstick.
The stealership said I needed to bring the car to them and that there was no such recall "SC147" called Kia and got the same response... then called the nhtsa and they said my Vin was invalid...lol... gave it to them 3 times, the same one I gave to KIA ...lol... Kia found it, the NHTSA website found the vin but for some reason the individual on the phone just could not find it.
KIA Optima 2012 EX GDI... the letter states " ALL 2011-2013 Optima" ...
What I keep getting is that it is vin specific...lol...

No vehicle and getting the runaround from everywhere...

What should I do???
I am in pretty much the same exact issue. A Kia dealership and the Kia Customer service are giving me a complete run around. They are saying I need to pay the $7,000 to pay to fix it. That the recalls aren't active anymore. My car is a 2013 with only 123k miles and engine went out while I was driving. Im not the original owner and didnt know about the recall.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Sorry to say, the lifetime warranty is only if the update has been done, if no update, no warranty.
With the settlement, Hyundai/Kia are just using the update criteria for their own good as it has absolutely nothing to do with engine longevity, just a way for them
not to be found liable for the damage. If they were an upstanding company, all engine seizures would be covered because they were manufactured with inferior parts,
components, but they keep selling the junk.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
I am in pretty much the same exact issue. A Kia dealership and the Kia Customer service are giving me a complete run around. They are saying I need to pay the $7,000 to pay to fix it. That the recalls aren't active anymore. My car is a 2013 with only 123k miles and engine went out while I was driving. Im not the original owner and didnt know about the recall.
Sorry to say, the lifetime warranty is only if the update has been done, if no update, no warranty.
With the settlement, Hyundai/Kia are just using the update criteria for their own good as it has absolutely nothing to do with engine longevity,
just a way for them not to be found liable for the damage. If they were an upstanding company, all engine seizures would be covered because they were manufactured with inferior parts, components, but they keep selling the junk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts