Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so here's my Pictorial!

Got my set from Paul (refer to http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/7-optima-appearance-body-modifications/999-korean-badge-7pc-set-68-shipped-pics.html)

*********** If Paul is no longer offering the discount check here KIA 2011 Optima K Logo Emblem Set 7ea | eBay... this guy is selling for $75 shipped**************

I am in no way affiliated with this seller

came in the mail in less then two days... shipped from New Jersey!!! I strongly believe that these are plastic until proven otherwise. :cool:

First things first... Do this at your own risk blah blah blah.. I will not be responsible for any damages blah blah blah... IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT DOING THIS... DON'T DO IT!!!...simple...

Ok lets get started
Tools:
  • Heat source (I used a hair dryer/blower)
  • Flat head screw driver
  • knife (optional)
  • Philips head (Used in step 2-B)
  • Goo-gone
  • cleaning supplies
1. I started with the steering wheel cause i felt like it...
looks like this:

the back of the badge has six prongs:

I went at this badge with a screwdriver prying at the bottom first once i got the bottom out, I used two fingers to pull the badge out. There is no 3M here but, still clean the area to ensure maxim adhesion, stick the K badge on... it surprisingly fits snug where the old badge was. (Note: There may be a protective film (similar to those used on phone screens to protect it from scratches... i peeled mine off)

2. Now for the trunk badge. Two Options (A and B keep reading :D)

A. i found that if you heat the entire badge and stick a flat head screwdriver in one corner (with your finger in between the screwdriver and car) and start prying at one side it'll come out.

B.This step is more time consuming but less damage to paint (didn't get pics of this but if you guys want i will gladly provide)
Remove the trunk lining (couple plastic screws and two screws under the handle cap). Next heat the badge REAL good. Reach inside trunk and find the badge's pegs and push! At this point it should start moving. IF you don't want to clean off goo use your other hand and heat the badge as you start to remove the badge. Clean the area with soap and water.

all it is now is to stick the new badge on... NOTE: THE NEW BADGE DOES NOT COMPLETELY FILL IN THE SPACE OF THE OLD BADGE. That being said, take your time and center the badge, cause once you stick it... IT'S STUCK!!!

3. The front badge
Same process... heat the badge... pry at one corner with a flat head. Badge comes out... for me there was goo left behind (It was getting dark and i rushed a little. I'm sure if i took my time i could have gotten it off with no goo left behind... but o well). Don't forget to clean the area with soap and water.

Same thing here the badge THE NEW BADGE DOES NOT COMPLETELY FILL IN THE SPACE OF THE OLD BADGE. So take your time and center the badge, cause once you stick it... IT'S STUCK!!!

this is bottom up view:

side view:

4. For the wheels i have those luxury wheels... took the cover off, brought them inside, gave them a good clean and just stuck the badges right on top.

side view:

This concludes my uh... pictorial? any comments leave them here... and complaints send them to... IDONTGIVEACRAP.NET... lol just kidding... but really guys i told you already:

"First things first... Do this at your own risk blah blah blah.. I will not be responsible for any damages blah blah blah... IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT DOING THIS... DON'T DO IT!!!...simple..."

Peace!
aflacattack

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looks good, I'm thinking I'm going to get some after all. Could you do me a favor and take a pic at a very flat angle of the badge on the hood to see how far the badge sticks up above the body itself. Oh and while you're at it, how about a pic of your coolant reservoir..interested to see what level it sits as.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad I convinced you guys :)

redhawk243, I will get you those pics late wednsday. I'm taking a road trip and don't have access to a laptop... the coolant should be above the line though... but I'll get you the pic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend NOT using a flat head screwdriver. You will scratch up or gouge your car. Use a plastic credit card. I actually used my Costco card and after heating up the glue, slipped it right under and it came off extremely easy.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend NOT using a flat head screwdriver. You will scratch up or gouge your car. Use a plastic credit card. I actually used my Costco card and after heating up the glue, slipped it right under and it came off extremely easy.
it all depends on how careful you are. I had no issues with using a flathead. I never thought of using a credit card though. did you have to heat the badge for long?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Guys, I just installed the same badges on the weekend . Thanks for the pics, note there are other threads with the same information. The switch out was compleely painless...
I heated the front/back KIA badge with a hair dryer, got it warm. Used a thin piece of nylon string to slip under one edge, worked it around in a circle and then popped the badge off. (Only remaining original 3M is between the two aligning posts.) Effortless. Then used goo-gone to clean it, and added the new badge.

Wheels were easy, as I applied over the existing KIA emblems...(Should have probably removed the wheel).

For the steering wheel, I applied the new badge over top of the KIA.. Looks perfect.. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your K5 emblem is sitting kinda high, its not quite level with your SX TDI, Also rip that optima sticker off your bumper
it is actually sitting in exactly the same place where the optima "O" sits. the lower left corner of the "k" sits where te lower left corner of the "O" was. as for the Optima bumper protector appliqué... I intend to take that off when I find a K5 bumper protector apliqué.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it all depends on how careful you are. I had no issues with using a flathead. I never thought of using a credit card though. did you have to heat the badge for long?

I just moved the hair dryer around the emblem for about a minute or two and it came right off.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just moved the hair dryer around the emblem for about a minute or two and it came right off.
guess it could also depend on how hot your area is. when I did my rebadge it was rather cool out so I had to heat it longer. plus I got impatient lol and pulled it off while heating :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
PS.. I should add.. With the badges installed I had better perfomance and increased gas mileage.. LOL.. sorry could not resist..

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PS.. I should add.. With the badges installed I had better perfomance and increased gas mileage.. LOL.. sorry could not resist..
I hear ya man!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
hey, for those of us with state requirements to have a front license plate, what did you use to attach your plate to the bottom of your grill?
if I remember correctly it was
3 x bolts about 3 inches each
3 x washers
3 x nut
3 x locking washers

I took the lic plate mounting bracket that came with the car to home depot. started by looking for bolts that were the correct length. then take and find nut and washers that fit. the rest is to attatch it to the grill. get under the car take off the plastic thing. dont know what it's called, so you can get access to the grill from the back side.

btw don't forget to pre-drill your lic plate holes. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS WHEN THE HOLDER IS ON THR CAR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if I remember correctly it was
3 x bolts about 3 inches each
3 x washers
3 x nut
3 x locking washers

I took the lic plate mounting bracket that came with the car to home depot. started by looking for bolts that were the correct length. then take and find nut and washers that fit. the rest is to attatch it to the grill. get under the car take off the plastic thing. dont know what it's called, so you can get access to the grill from the back side.

btw don't forget to pre-drill your lic plate holes. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS WHEN THE HOLDER IS ON THR CAR.
lol...thanks, man....great advice!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 89 Posts