Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I had my last tire rotation, the tech told me my rear shocks were leaking and needed to be replaced and quoted me $300. The installation seemed pretty easy so I decided to do it myself. Here is a list of tools you'll need. It's very easy and you can easily do it in under an hour.

KYB Rear Shocks - Excel-G (Recommended OE Replacement for all models) part number 344655
(Thank you JasonS. I forgot to add the part numbers)
(2) 19mm sockets or open wrenches
14mm socket
17mm open wrench
Visegrip
Jack
Tire iron
KYB shocks

1. After removing the rear tire, you'll have access to the 3 bolts you need to remove. There are (2) 14mm bolts attaching the shock absorber. to the frame. Loosen these 2 with a socket wrench.
Auto part Suspension Vehicle

2. Look over the brake disk and you'll see a 19mm bolt and nut that attach the shock absorber to the knuckle. Remove the bolt and finish removing the top two 14mm bolts you loosened in the previous step.
Auto part Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Muffler

3. Once all the bolts are removed, grab the shock absorber and push it up against the frame to compress it and pull it out of the wheel well.

4. Remove the shock absorber mount by using a 17mm open wrench and a visegrip.
Auto part Tool Machine

5. Remove the shock absorber mount and the plastic dust cover. Discard the 17mm self locking nut you removed. The new shock absorbers come with new nuts.

6. Put the plastic dust cover on the new shock absorber and attack the mount with the new nut.

7. Put the shock absorber back and attach to the frame and knuckle. Loosely tighten all 3. If you have a torque wrench, the tightening torques for the 14mm bolts are 36.2-47.0 lb-ft or 49.0-63.7 Nm and for the lower 19mm bolt and nut are 101.3-115.7 lb-ft or 137.3-156.9 Nm.
Text Font Line Number Monochrome

8. Push the plastic dust cover all the way up.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good write up...how many miles on them?

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,567 Posts
Hey if Eric can do it, this thread needs to be stickied!!!!haha
Serious... nicely done. Great write up with pictures.

KYB Rear Shocks - Excel-G (Recommended OE Replacement for all models) part number 344655
Dont forget you need two of them!
KYB Online Parts Catalog

·
Vendor
2012 Kia Optima
1,803 Posts

KYB Online Parts Catalog
Jason I was going to say that hurt but you are prob right. LOL. And I agree with it being stickied. Wheres Munky?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good write up...how many miles on them?
Thank you. The car has around 76k. The car feels much more stable during high speed turns. I would prefer a firmer suspension, but this is the best I could find since there are no adjustable shocks for this model.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Yes, it was pretty easy. I had never done it before and assumed I needed spring compressors, but after reading the repair manual, I felt confident I could do it myself.

Nice write up. This seems like something I could even tackle if need be. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the part number. I completely forgot to include it in my original write up.

KYB Online Parts Catalog

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,567 Posts
np. thanks again for the write up. Good note on mileage. I've read elsewhere its a good idea to change out the stockers around 75K, so you are right on target. I'm planning on it too (when my car reaches that number).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Just gaging how long they last. Should be fine until they leak.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,457 Posts
Reactions: Blinky_k5
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.