Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I created a do-it-yourself a few years back; describing how to install LED front turn signals. I am now going to create a do-it-yourself describing how to install LED Rear Turn Signals. I'll try to make it as short and to the point as possible - but after this all of you that buy LED bulbs that require resistors should be able to get them installed and working with out that disgusting hyper-flash. :)

Equipment Needed
1. Pair of 1156 LED Turn Signals
2. Pair of 50W 6ohm Resistors
3. X-acto Knife/Box Cutter
4. Rubber Mallet (if needed)
5. Solder
6. Soldering Iron
7. T-taps
8. Electrical Tape
9. 10mm Socket
10. Ratchet
The INSTALL

First and foremost you'll want to open your trunk and remove both of the rear tail lamp covers - as shown in the photo below. Once you have removed these covers the inner cavities of the tail lamps will be exposed. Within these cavities there are dark orange bulb sockets with two fish tails that will allow you to grip and twist the socket counter-clockwise out of the locked position. I was able to get my hands inside of the cavity and twist, however I will state that it was very uncomfortable to do so. If you have bigger hands, consider removing the tail lamp altogether.

Before proceeding with the installation take a moment and try to fit your hand inside of the cavity. If you don't have an issue fitting your whole hand in there, you can skip the next couple steps that I am about to go over.

For those that can't quite get your hand inside of the tail lamp cavity, start by removing the white male connector from the tail lamp (the white male connector can be referenced via a photo below, a few steps ahead.) Then proceed by removing the three nuts that secure the tail lamp to the frame of the car. In order to do this you will need a 10mm socket and a ratchet. They are not on too tight so they should be fairly easy to remove. Once removed, take a rubber mallet and moderately hit two of the bolts that are secured to the tail lamp, one by one (don't worry you will not damage the lamp.) This is the easiest and most effective way that I have found to remove the tail lamps without causing damage to the supporting fasteners.

BEWARE: Upon removal of the tail lamps, either make sure to have someone spotting the tail lamp in case it falls, or make sure that one hand is directly behind the tail lamp, lightly supporting it, so you're able to catch it in case it falls when released from the supporting clips. In other words, when hitting the bolts with the rubber mallet make sure one hand is directly behind the tail lamp on the outside - don't push on the tail lamp because you will be adding resistance and working against the mallet. Just be prepared in case it releases too quickly.

Once you have either removed the tail lamps, or are able to to fit your hand within the cavity with the tail lamp still mounted on the car, you will see the orange bulb socket, with two fish tail tabs as described earlier. Go ahead and turn the socket counter-clockwise (there is some resistance on this socket, so you may need to get a bit forceful with it - at least that how it was on mine.)

In order to remove the OEM filament bulb, apply downward pressure on the bulb while turning it counter-clockwise. It will then freely twist and the bulb will then be able to be removed from the socket. Replace each OEM bulb with your new LED bulb. The install is the same as removal, but instead of twisting counter-clockwise, you'll be turning the socket and bulb clockwise.. General rule: Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey ;)

Once you have the new bulbs installed, and the tail lamp back into it's original position (don't forget to fasten it to the frame of the car with its supplied nuts.) You can begin by removing the white male end connector that supplies power to the tail lamps - the individuals who had to remove the tail lamp from the body of the car, this connector should already be disconnected.

As you can see there are multiple wires running to that connector that supply power to the tail lamps for it's intended purpose. There's a Ground, Brake, Turn Signal, Tail Lamp wire(s), etc.. but there will only be two wires that you will need to focus on; but first you will need to use your box cutter or X-acto knife and strip back at least 2-3" of the OEM wire loom so that you're able to freely work with the wires. Once you have stripped back the wires, the following pairs are the wires that the resistor will need to be installed in-line.

Drivers Side Tail Lamp: Red/Blue & Black
Passenger Side Tail Lamp: Red/Orange & Black

As a note, when the tail lamp connector is disconnected from the tail lamp, the turn signal will always hyper-flash UNLESS a resistor is installed. So if you wanted to test the two wires to make sure that you have the correct ones, you can use wire-strippers to strip back some of the shielding on the resistor leads then plant the copper wires into the pins corresponding to the wires in which you will install the resistor - from here you can wander up front and take a look at the mirror side-marker turn signal and see if it's blinking normally, if so you have the right wires. If not, the incorrect wires have been tapped. However, the color coded wires provided above are the correct ones :)

Once you have determined that the wires are correct and everything is functioning correctly, either by the use of T-taps or solder, make your connections and you will have officially installed rear LED turn signals with resistors. :cool:

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,308 Posts
You can also tap into the brown connector there in the picture. Thats what i used. Its a lot simpler as you dont have to worry about which wires to tap into because there are only two wires

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice DIY. Thanks for posting. Definitely right about being prepared to catch the tail light. :)
Sure no problem. Just trying to add to the community. :)

When I first saw your post I thought it was that video from Sunday:lipsrsealed:
Nope lol

You can also tap into the brown connector there in the picture. Thats what i used. Its a lot simpler as you dont have to worry about which wires to tap into because there are only two wires
Correct and that's a great suggestion. However, I tapped the connector instead because my resistor wires were not that long; and I'd rather mount the resistors outside of the tail lamp housing due to the fact that they get pretty hot.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
42 Posts
great writeup thx. ill be using this over the weekend, how did you mount and attach the actual resistor to the car.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
great writeup thx. ill be using this over the weekend, how did you mount and attach the actual resistor to the car.
I'm wondering about this also. They resistors have holes in them for mounting screws (WTF?) but someone else said they used 3M double-sided tape.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used 3M double sided tape and attached it to a flat surface on the back of the headlamp.

I'm wondering about this also. They resistors have holes in them for mounting screws (WTF?) but someone else said they used 3M double-sided tape.
Correct.
The holes are there for mounting; but I used 3M mounting tape instead to avoid drilling any holes into the frame of the car. There's only one flat spot on the back of the headlamp and if you clean that spot with rubbing alcohol, the tape will adhere.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks Jhall. I have some foam-type 2 sided tape I plan to try using, the type used for hanging pictures and stuff like that. Not sure of the brand. For now, the resistors are just hanging there, which might also work.

Thanks also for the tip about cleaning the area first, that will surely make at least some difference, especially for someone like me who's using inferior WalMart 2-sided tape. :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jhall. I have some foam-type 2 sided tape I plan to try using, the type used for hanging pictures and stuff like that. Not sure of the brand. For now, the resistors are just hanging there, which might also work.

Thanks also for the tip about cleaning the area first, that will surely make at least some difference, especially for someone like me who's using inferior WalMart 2-sided tape. :)
No problem, glad I can help. Well there's foam tape and then there''s automotive foam tape.
I would make sure it's automotive foam tape before you waste any of what you're using to hang pictures on walls. Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
i recently purchased canbus 1156 cree amber led, when i installed it, it hyperflashes, i have to mod this temporarily while researching what is the correct value of resistor needs to be added, so 6ohms will do the job right? i am planning to change all front and rears, i installed the rears already and its bright and blinks nicely..now getting 4 x 6ohms resistor to install at the front and rears..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts