Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had to use the defogger on last couple of days as it's now getting colder. The four horizontal lines at top don't seem to get warm at all; the small vertical ones come to the bottom of non-warming lines. So my question is, is it by design or do I have a broken connection somewhere? In other words how does your defogger work when you turn it on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No window tint. I am asking because they may have designed that upper portion as antenna for radio. Just need to confirm I am not alone.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
The wires at the top are for AM/FM so they will not get hot and do not defrost that portion of the rear window. The shark fin is for SAT.

All Optimas are this way so no worries.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Securityguy. It's weird, they can very well have the dual functionality of antenna and defroster there. With rear visibility already on the lower side, this definitely doesn't help.

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
I agree...with the size and shape of our windows, it has more of an imp-act than on many other cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
can you tint the back glass with the wire defrost in the back. I am wanting to tint the windows but I am not sure. I tinted my 98 trans am and it was nasty after the first use, ruined the tint. I have been an SUV driver for the last decade so was not sure if they have improved tint or tech for rear windows.

·
Registered
872 Posts
yes, you can tint the back window. as long as you go to a reputable shop that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
can you tint the back glass with the wire defrost in the back. I am wanting to tint the windows but I am not sure. I tinted my 98 trans am and it was nasty after the first use, ruined the tint. I have been an SUV driver for the last decade so was not sure if they have improved tint or tech for rear windows.
To my knowledge there are a few different types of tint. Dye, metal, and carbon. If you do tint your windows go for the carbon tint. The dye tint I the cheapest one but fades to purple after a year or so. The metal one can sometimes interfear with radio, bluetooth, and satellite signals, not always though, but with the shark fin antenna on the roof you most likely wont have that big of a deal with it. But carbon tint won't fade, as far as I know, and won't interfear with any signals from your car. It'll be more expensive but worth it in my opinion. That's what I'm getting on mine. It really just depends on how long you're keeping your car nd how much you want to spend. On my Forte I put 50% dye 50% metal because I knew I wasn't going to keep it forever, which will be a different story with my Optima.

I hope that helps.

Btw tint won't affect the defrost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How long does it take for your defroster to actually clear your window? In comparison too my last car the Optima is taking roughly 10 minutes longer to remove the early morning dew. Hate to see whats going to be like with snow...

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
To my knowledge there are a few different types of tint. Dye, metal, and carbon. If you do tint your windows go for the carbon tint. The dye tint I the cheapest one but fades to purple after a year or so. The metal one can sometimes interfear with radio, bluetooth, and satellite signals, not always though, but with the shark fin antenna on the roof you most likely wont have that big of a deal with it. But carbon tint won't fade, as far as I know, and won't interfear with any signals from your car. It'll be more expensive but worth it in my opinion. ...
I think LSU Tiger meant "ceramic" rather than "carbon" for the non-interference tint film.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
How long does it take for your defroster to actually clear your window? In comparison too my last car the Optima is taking roughly 10 minutes longer to remove the early morning dew. Hate to see whats going to be like with snow...
Mine is already clearing dew in a few blocks. Entire area with defroster strips is clear in about five minutes.

I DO hope you brush snow off your windows, rather than wait for the defroster to melt the snow!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine is already clearing dew in a few blocks. Entire area with defroster strips is clear in about five minutes.

I DO hope you brush snow off your windows, rather than wait for the defroster to melt the snow!
is it just me or what? i pictured like 2 feet of snow and him waiting for the defroster to melt it all.....

i have found the use of a flamethrower tends to handle the job pretty well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wires at the top are for AM/FM so they will not get hot and do not defrost that portion of the rear window. The shark fin is for SAT.

All Optimas are this way so no worries.
Hey guys!
2013 Metallic White EX Hybrid...regarding the defroster wires and possible issues...I took this picture last night as I noticed it was defrosting as it used to:

Any ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts