Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2015 kia optima with 40k miles on it that had apparently sat for a long time and both the front and rear brakes were sticking so I replaced front pads & rotors as well as serviced the calipers. The rear brakes still have over 50% left so I decided to just service the rear calipers and make sure everything is lubed up and moving freely. But, when I looked at the rear calipers the pistons are broken the same way in the same spot due to a tab on the rear brake pads. I attached a photo of the broken caliper piston and one with the piston and the back of the brake pad where you can see how the tab caused the damage. Only explanation I can think of is that they're the wrong pads, but the car only has 41k miles so the amount of wear is consistent with them being the original, factory installed pads. Has anyone else seen this? The calipers are not leaking, should I look into replacing them anyways?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Rim Wood

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
308 Posts
I bought a 2015 kia optima with 40k miles on it that had apparently sat for a long time and both the front and rear brakes were sticking so I replaced front pads & rotors as well as serviced the calipers. The rear brakes still have over 50% left so I decided to just service the rear calipers and make sure everything is lubed up and moving freely. But, when I looked at the rear calipers the pistons are broken the same way in the same spot due to a tab on the rear brake pads. I attached a photo of the broken caliper piston and one with the piston and the back of the brake pad where you can see how the tab caused the damage. Only explanation I can think of is that they're the wrong pads, but the car only has 41k miles so the amount of wear is consistent with them being the original, factory installed pads. Has anyone else seen this? The calipers are not leaking, should I look into replacing them anyways? View attachment 250763
View attachment 250762
It appears to me that the pad should have shims to cover that area of the pad but doesn't for some reason? idk not sure what they looked like from factory or if they're even factory at 40K.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Wrong pads and the piston seal is down inside the caliper bore. The rubber that is torn is a dust boot, but with the damage, guess not much of a preventative to keep debris out. They can be replaced without caliper replacement, but you'll need to decide which is easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts