Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having @ 500,000 miles on the two Optimas, have had quite a time with the brake system, and on the '11 fairly quick rear pad wear.
In the past have ground down the ears slightly so the pads could move away from the rotor, but the problem still occurred.
On the '11 with the slotted/drilled rotors (on the car when purchased 2016) one could hear the noise from the rear as the pads
stayed in contact with the rotors, so thought I'd try something new.
Installed new rear rotors/pads yesterday, ground down the ears and installed brake pad drag reduction clips

Our RX7 Turbo came from the factory with these "clips" front and rear so thought I'd give them a try. After grinding down the ears,
when the clips were installed, they would push the pads out of the holder, so, instructions say to use a C clamp to install the clips,
then remove and install caliper. Knew that wouldn't work as the pads would come out as soon as the clamp was removed, so placed
the caliper over the pads and tilted it to one side, installed clip, then tilted to the other side and installed the other clip.
Guess we'll see if they work.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,465 Posts
Having @ 500,000 miles on the two Optimas, have had quite a time with the brake system, and on the '11 fairly quick rear pad wear.
In the past have ground down the ears slightly so the pads could move away from the rotor, but the problem still occurred.
On the '11 with the slotted/drilled rotors (on the car when purchased 2016) one could hear the noise from the rear as the pads
stayed in contact with the rotors, so thought I'd try something new.
Installed new rear rotors/pads yesterday, ground down the ears and installed brake pad drag reduction clips
View attachment 249167

Our RX7 Turbo came from the factory with these "clips" front and rear so thought I'd give them a try. After grinding down the ears,
when the clips were installed, they would push the pads out of the holder, so, instructions say to use a C clamp to install the clips,
then remove and install caliper. Knew that wouldn't work as the pads would come out as soon as the clamp was removed, so placed
the caliper over the pads and tilted it to one side, installed clip, then tilted to the other side and installed the other clip.
Guess we'll see if they work.
That is so strange. I'm still on my original rear pads at 89K miles and inspected/cleaned/regreased them this past December. They still had plenty of pad left and the rotors (original) were still fine and not groved. I did have uneven pad wear which I hope my cleaning/regreasing them should help.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is so strange. I'm still on my original rear pads at 89K miles and inspected/cleaned/regreased them this past December. They still had plenty of pad left and the rotors (original) were still fine and not groved. I did have uneven pad wear which I hope my cleaning/regreasing them should help.
Have never seen 89,000 miles on any of the units installed and our driving is far removed from city driving. The last set of new pads installed on the rear got 24,000 miles before the metal hit the rotor, but this was with slotted/drilled rotors that will decrease pad longevity. Last year, all the calipers were replaced with new aluminum units along with all new brackets and hardware, so guess we'll see how long these last.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.