Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KIA Forte EX
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 EX 2.4L has 140K now. I do the oil changes on my own. After draining, I typically preload the filter and refill with 5 quarts of oil. After the last oil change, the car only drained out about 4.3 quarts while positioned on ramps. The car had about 5,000 miles between the oil changes. There could still be a small amount of oil unaccounted for in the oil filter. I decided to monitor the oil level in case there might be a consumption issue developing and I'm trying to understand best practices for checking the oil level. The manual says to wait 10 minutes before reading the oil level. When I do that, the oil level typically is at the full position. If I wait another 4 hours, the level drop down slightly. After 24 hours, the level drops further down but still in the safe range. Below is an image of the dipstick pulled out of the engine after 10 minutes, green shows the cut off where the dipstick is dry from the notch onward. I also included approximations of the location of the oil level when the car has not been running for 4 hours (red) then 24 hours (blue). The car is parked on a flat surface when the oil is read. The car now has about 1000 miles after the last oil change. I thought the oil level would read higher once the engine has been off for a while because the oil has drained back into the pan but that doesn't seem to be case here. Am I missing something? When would I get the most accurate read of the oil level?

There's a little bit of black residue accumulating on the exhaust tips which also leads to believe there's some consumption going on though I think it's minimal at this stage. No blue smoke at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Well heat causes most things to expand.

So, Probably the first reading (10 mins) since engine is closer to normal operating temps. Maybe it is more obvious because of something unique to the 2.4's oil sump shape?

I read them cold, hot and in between (not planned like yourself) yet I get the same readings, different engines and makes too.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,378 Posts
Agree with above, and if read too quickly after stop, the oil level hasn't had time to seek it's level, and never heard of oil level that dropped thwe longer the car sat..
With catalytic converters, oil smoke will not be seen in the exhaust.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,181 Posts
The oil dropping after you wait longer is puzzling. Maybe oil is dripping away somewhere?

Could you check to see if the oil level rises back up after you start the car?

I guess you have data showing how the oil level drops below full after you turn off the engine, but no data to see what happens to the oil level after starting the engine - does the level increase back to full as if no oil was lost?

·
Registered
2021 KIA Forte EX
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I'll try to check the oil level after warming up the engine slightly, that's a great idea. To my knowledge, oil is not leaking. I could find no evidence of a leak. I always remember the level being pretty consistent whether the engine was warm or cold in the past, until the consumption issue started. My gut is that the oil level is not full, but just slightly below full (either way, still in the safe zone even without adding oil).

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,199 Posts
Your oil level goes down as you wait because the oil expands when warm, and contracts when cold. The key is to develop a pattern of WHEN you check your level. You want precision, not so much accuracy. After your next oil change run it, get it warm then pick a time to check and do it the same every time. I always check dead cold. It's the worst case scenario for oil level. Black exhaust tips are totally normal for a GDI.

Reactions: bakshi6

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
35 Posts
Best to check the oil after it has sat all night before starting the car. The oil will have dripped down from the valve valley and will show the true oil level in the pan.Checking it warm there will still be alot of oil in the upper engine.

I recently bought my car and it has 27,000 miles on it and has the red dipstick. The manual says its takes 4 quarts. I replaced the filter with a new oem filter and poured 4 separate quarts of oil in it then later the next day it read quite overfilled.
So now I have to figure out how much oil it really takes on the next oil change. Looks like 3.5 quarts. I use Redline oil 5-30. Always keep it at the full line.
Going to try a 5000 mile oci see how the engine likes it.
I am not used to a car with such loud valve lifter noise. Runs good though. My first GDI engine and surpised how much power they can get out it. Very quick little car. Does this car have solid lifters?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,378 Posts
Never gave it much thought as assumed the expansion minimal, but calculating 5 qt, looks like @ 6 oz.
Engine has solid lifters.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Best to check the oil after it has sat all night before starting the car. The oil will have dripped down from the valve valley and will show the true oil level in the pan. Checking it warm there will still be alot of oil in the upper engine.
I think it's best to follow the procedure in the operator manual. I think different cars could vary as to the proper way to see the true oil level, and the oil level reading is different depending on how long you wait after shutting off the engine.

But my thinking is the manufacturer came up with a procedure to make sure you read the oil accurately. If you don't follow that procedure, then I don't see how you can know what the true accurate value will be. If the manufacturer wants you to read the oil level when the engine is cold and when you wait for all the oil to drain into the pan, they should say so. Because that approach will give you overconfidence with a too-high reading, so if you are low on oil, your reading will misleadingly show normal.

Also, the heat expansion of the oil is negligible. The bigger factor will be the expansion of the oil pan (not the engine). The oil pan has thin sides that will expand and contract along their area/surface, and that in turn will change the volume capacity of the oil pan to a greater extent than the actual expansion/contraction of the oil itself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
FYI- The owners manual (in section 8) shows drain and refill capacity as 4.86 qts.
And you should check the level first thing in the morning (after an overnight) when its cold.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My manual contradicts yours. here is what my manual says - you get the engine warm, then wait a few minutes, like 5 minutes and then you check it. The key points are that the engine (and therefore the oil pan) are warm, but you wait long enough for the warm oil to drain into the drain pan:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2012 EX 2.4L has 140K now. I do the oil changes on my own. After draining, I typically preload the filter and refill with 5 quarts of oil. After the last oil change, the car only drained out about 4.3 quarts while positioned on ramps. The car had about 5,000 miles between the oil changes. There could still be a small amount of oil unaccounted for in the oil filter. I decided to monitor the oil level in case there might be a consumption issue developing and I'm trying to understand best practices for checking the oil level. The manual says to wait 10 minutes before reading the oil level. When I do that, the oil level typically is at the full position. If I wait another 4 hours, the level drop down slightly. After 24 hours, the level drops further down but still in the safe range. Below is an image of the dipstick pulled out of the engine after 10 minutes, green shows the cut off where the dipstick is dry from the notch onward. I also included approximations of the location of the oil level when the car has not been running for 4 hours (red) then 24 hours (blue). The car is parked on a flat surface when the oil is read. The car now has about 1000 miles after the last oil change. I thought the oil level would read higher once the engine has been off for a while because the oil has drained back into the pan but that doesn't seem to be case here. Am I missing something? When would I get the most accurate read of the oil level?

There's a little bit of black residue accumulating on the exhaust tips which also leads to believe there's some consumption going on though I think it's minimal at this stage. No blue smoke at all.
Kindly check the oil buy, use the specified ones. If you don't use the specified oil type It meant also misbehave that wsy

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Kindly check the oil buy, use the specified ones. If you don't use the specified oil type It meant also misbehave that wsy
Not true at all.
BTW..... type is singular. Types are plural.
My owners manual lists types (3). All-3 don't misbehave. But the thinnest type (grade) will consume more, as the engine ages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts