Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, ever since I bought the car new there seemed to be a low growl/rattle/bubbling coming from the engine compartment after starting the car. At first I thought it was part of the design since it didn't seem too bad and it felt like maybe it was part of the A/C 'warming up'. The sound would go away almost instantly if I turned HVAC off. Recently I took the car to the dealership for the 6th time with the dreaded panoramic roof creaking and decided to let them know about the issue since it started getting worse, especially when taking off and turning the wheel. The dealer informed me the issue was with the belt tensioner and the reason the sound would go away after turning A/C off was because of decreased load on the belt. After picking up the car I heard the growling/bubbling again when starting the car but the noise seemed to have been reduced back to fresh off the lot status so I just assumed once again it was by design. Fast forward a few days the noise got a little bit worse, and you can definitely hear it in the cabin around 800-900 rpms and taking off. I had terrible experience with being jerked around at 2 dealerships with the rear deck and pano roof rattle and I really don't want to go back to the dealer any time soon. Has anybody experienced a similar issue and figured out a solution?

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Hey everyone, ever since I bought the car new there seemed to be a low growl/rattle/bubbling coming from the engine compartment after starting the car. At first I thought it was part of the design since it didn't seem too bad and it felt like maybe it was part of the A/C 'warming up'. The sound would go away almost instantly if I turned HVAC off. Recently I took the car to the dealership for the 6th time with the dreaded panoramic roof creaking and decided to let them know about the issue since it started getting worse, especially when taking off and turning the wheel. The dealer informed me the issue was with the belt tensioner and the reason the sound would go away after turning A/C off was because of decreased load on the belt. After picking up the car I heard the growling/bubbling again when starting the car but the noise seemed to have been reduced back to fresh off the lot status so I just assumed once again it was by design. Fast forward a few days the noise got a little bit worse, and you can definitely hear it in the cabin around 800-900 rpms and taking off. I had terrible experience with being jerked around at 2 dealerships with the rear deck and pano roof rattle and I really don't want to go back to the dealer any time soon. Has anybody experienced a similar issue and figured out a solution?
My 2014 has been doing this for a couple years now. Kind of like a growling sound on takeoff. Don't know what it is but it does not seem to be hurting anything.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
41 Posts
I have been dealing with this for a few years now on my 2013 2.4. Noise showed up a few years after I bought it new. I took it to the dealer when it was still under warranty and they replaced the tensioner. The noise went away for a period of time and then returned, it doesnet seem to harm anything but is very irritating. Im currently researching to replace tensioner, all pullys and belt with after market parts.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
219 Posts
Buy a can of belt dressing. It’s a pressurized can of belt conditioner. Spray it on the belt then jump in the car and see if the noise changes. It should. Unless the belt is not the issue. If the noise changes the tension on the belt may be critical. May need to tighter or looser,
Also watch the belts behavior while it’s running,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.