Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a random power shut down while driving? It's happened twice in the last two months. Whole car just goes dark, brakes don't work, can't steer and then it comes right back up--span of 2 seconds maybe. Also, had the power steering lock up for about 2 seconds but the car was fine otherwise. There was a warning message but I wasn't driving and my teen driver wasn't actually trying to look for that at the time. Any input? I tried some gas tank cleaner (that gets rid of the water in bad gas), no issues yet but it's only been about 12 hours.

Completely off topic but....driver side seat. It won't come back up from the recline position. I've seen some discussion about this but haven't found a fix that doesn't involve going to the dealership. Seat works fine on all other buttons except that one. Anybody have a "home remedy"?

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
155 Posts
What year? Any check engine codes? That is an odd problem..

You can manually figure out what power wire it is on the connector.. but otherwise it sounds like that module might need replaced. Also depends the year and model/memory seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year? Any check engine codes? That is an odd problem..

You can manually figure out what power wire it is on the connector.. but otherwise it sounds like that module might need replaced. Also depends the year and model/memory seats.
2018. No check engine lights. Nothing. Just power off like I turned the key and then right back up.

The two things I've read suggest either taking the seat out and checking the wires (sounds a little scary) or just letting it recline all the way back and crossing my fingers that the switch kicks back in to bring it back up. Which sounds even scarier. I was hoping to just be able to take the side panel off and fix it that way but can't find anything that says the side comes off (and nothing on the chair indicates that it does). Also, trying to figure out what this is going to cost me to fix at a shop.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,146 Posts
Just piping in that removing the seat is much easier than I thought it would be. Furthermore, to make it even easier, you can leave it inside the car, just unbolt it then lean it back on the rear seat.

Might not hurt to have a look around. Maybe a mouse got into your car and chewed up your wires under the seat while snacking on the crumbs and stuff that falls down there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to me 3 times on my drive home tonight (2014 Optima). I was cruising about 70 and it felt like I hit something. The radio went out, the dash lights flashed, seat belt light flashed a few more times, and it slowed me down dramatically. 2 more times in town. Felt like the car just died for a 2 seconds each time and came back on similar to shutting your car off while moving (which I have done before in life when my brakes went out). The power steering gone and the with the engine not running it jerks the car as it slows down.

I am getting this towed to the dealership on Monday. Anyone have any ideas what causes this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts