Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2015 Kia Optima LX with less than 50,000 miles
I have always been on top of the service maintenance, it always has been done by my mechanic. Today I decided to check the oil and the fluid in the radiator myself, which is something that I have never done to this vehicle since it’s always properly maintained by my mechanic on the regular basis..The fluid in the radiator was topped off, so I went ahead and put the radiator cap back and wanted to make sure it was nice and tight, the cap went passed the thread and snapped off, did it again same thing happened, Does this mean I have a faulty radiator cap? Concerned because I didn’t put that much pressure for it to snap off and loosen off

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
Guess my first question would be why even check the radiator when the overflow tank is visible and would yield the coolant level?
Having said that, not certain as to whether the radiator cap is compromised, or the plastic radiator filler neck has been damaged, so get a new cap and give it a try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello I have a 2015 Kia Optima LX with less than 50,000 miles
I have always been on top of the service maintenance, it always has been done by my mechanic. Today I decided to check the oil and the fluid in the radiator myself, which is something that I have never done to this vehicle since it’s always properly maintained by my mechanic on the regular basis..The fluid in the radiator was topped off, so I went ahead and put the radiator cap back and wanted to make sure it was nice and tight, the cap went passed the thread and snapped off, did it again same thing happened, Does this mean I have a faulty radiator cap? Concerned because I didn’t put that much pressure for it to snap off and loosen off
Guess my first question would be why even check the radiator when the overflow tank is visible and would yield the coolant level?
Having said that, not certain as to whether the radiator cap is compromised, or the plastic radiator filler neck has been damaged, so get a new cap and give it a try.
Having said that, not certain as to whether the radiator cap is compromised, or the plastic radiator filler neck has been damaged, so get a new cap and give it a try.. dang Turbonut you got me there!, Now that you say that I have no idea why I did it, I guess growing up I would always work in old vehicles with my father. it was just the habit of taking off the radiator cap to check the fluid. that stuck around.
i’m glad I checked it, because obviously somethings not working right here, thank you I will start with the radiator cap today

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
I've check the water in the radiator at times, although very rarely, but have not had a problem like you experienced. Hopefully you will just need a radiator cap.
Don't know if you have another vehicle to drive, but if not and when the Kia gets back home, let it cool down, remove the cap and then see if the new one fits properly. If the old cap is damaged, it may not hold pressure and water might overflow after it expands. No problem there, just let everything cool down before adding coolant/water in the radiator, and then check to be sure overflow tank is at proper level.
Any problems, just reach out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Turbonut,.
good thing I haven’t had any issues but wondering how long this cap Has been like this.
I contacted the Kia dealership, they need to order my cap should arrive in 1/2 business days
Usually it cost $26 but they reduced it down to 19.
My concern is that they said that if it’s not the cap Then it Will be the plastic radiator filler neck that is compromised, just like you mentioned.. but they said the radiator plastic neck filler is part of the radiator assembly I will have to replace the entire radiator if for some reason the thread has been damaged.. is this true? I will have to replace the entire radiator?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
Remove the cap and take a look at your radiator filler neck and the opening should have a lip all the way around with 2 notches for the radiator cap ears to fit into.

If the radiator lip is broken/partially missing don't have the stealership replace the radiator as the list is $504 and then the labor probably $200 then coolant and the bill might be @ $800.

You can purchase an aftermarket radiator with lifetime warranty for $69 or $92, but there are shipping costs, then have an independant mechanic do the job, or just check with your mechanic for a total cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts