Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so my girls got a appointment at different Kia dealership since the one keeps screwing us around. Any way they are gonna do the coupler bushing since other one didn’t when we asked them too and that we want the old one back too so we know it’s changed. The did the ecu update and are gonna check the steering column. So if none of this fixes the steering slop and road drift that leaves us with the rack and pinion. It looks pretty strait toward not power steering lines and what not. Has anyone replaced there’s with out a shop? Was wondering if anything special had to be done or if it’s doable at home being it has electronic steering assist

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
Ok so my girls got a appointment at different Kia dealership since the one keeps screwing us around. Any way they are gonna do the coupler bushing since other one didn’t when we asked them too and that we want the old one back too so we know it’s changed. The did the ecu update and are gonna check the steering column. So if none of this fixes the setter it slop and road drift that leaves us with the rack and pinion. It looks pretty strait toward not power steering lines and what not. Has anyone replaced there’s with out a shop? Was wondering if anything special had to be done or if it’s doable at home being it has electronic steering assist
The obvious thing is you'll need an alignment machine after replacing steering rack because it will most likely change the toe and believe you need to relearn the steering angle sensor with scan tool and or alignment machine also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The obvious thing is you'll need an alignment machine after replacing steering rack because it will most likely change the toe and believe you need to relearn the steering angle sensor with scan tool and or alignment machine also.
but doing old school measuring off the outer tie rods (2 months old) to inners when install on new rack should get us close enough to get to alignment shop you think? My thought process was if I center steering wheel before disassembly and centering rack best we can then doing the outer tie rod measuring cheat I was brainstorming it would be close enough so it’s drivable they town. I have this feeling the shop price is gonna insane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts