Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently installed a chip tune from racechip. Love the power increase and its definitely noticeable. Only issue is that i get sort of a clinging/tick when i full throttle when the tune is on. Ive noticed that it typically happens in warmer temperatures, have never noticed it under 65° F (if i remember correctly). There is a power difference considering temperature as well which is of course obvious but i was hoping anyone could have answers or have experienced something similar. Just today i had the racechip (via bluetooth control app) in racemode to push on a 335i sedan and it was just clink tick clink then the second i disabled the chip it was smooth as a bug in full throttle. I have yet to see a CEL, and everything seems ok externally.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
Not really familiar with the RaceChip, but from what I see each chip comes multiple logic(tunes) within each chip. I'd say the only way to know the correct tune is to see the actual logic of each under full acceleration then one can see what, if anything, needs to be corrected.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,739 Posts
What you are experiencing is engine knock/detonation, since you most likely did not upgrade the spark plugs when installing this tune.

Unfortunately, RaceChip has not been the best at making sure customers understand they need to upgrade their spark plugs when using any aftermarket tune.

I would NOT recommend punching the pedal and flooring it, until you have upgraded your spark plugs, as what you are experiencing is not good at all for the engine.

You need to order yourself a set of the HKS M45XL Racing Spark Plugs we sell on our website, and this will correct the issue you're experiencing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.