Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm interested in purchasing a 2019 Optima S, I currently have a '15 Sonata. I'm aware that some Kia's and Hyundai's share the same Theta II engine, and I'm already aware of the potential issues with that. What I would like to know from those of you who have this model, or are familiar with it. Can you tell me the issues you have encountered with the car. I'm trying to make sure I know as much about it as possible before pulling the trigger.

I did a google search and what I've seen were a few complaints about starting issues, and jerking. Some people mentioned getting a system or computer update that solved the issue. They didn't specify what this update was. Another person said it was their timing chain coming loose, so it had to be replaced. Others just said the dealer didn't know what the problem was.

Any information would be very helpful. I'm a little confused about the cars history. It only has 6500 miles on it, 1 owner purchased September 2019 then put up for sale March 2020. There is another one with 7k miles purchased in June of 2019 sold in Feb 2020, then sold again. Two owners in less than a year. Is that a sign something is wrong with the car? Just looking for insight on the vehicle.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,688 Posts
Not sure which engine you have in the '15, but if the 2.4, the '19 Optima 2.4 is very similar with some changes to the internal parts. Having said that, with all the engine problems with the Hyundai/Kia 2.4/2.0T engines, can one say with certainty that the '19 engine will be trouble free, no. If you have the 1.6T in the Hyundai, then you wouldn't have gotten involved with all the updates and engine problems with the other engines so consider yourself lucky. On thing I can say, is if the engine requires replacement, Kia has been very liberal with replacement making it trouble free.

As far as the resale of the low mileage cars, take a look at the CarFax to see if private or rental car, any accident reports, etc.

Keep in mind, unless a CPO vehicle, the factory warranty will cease at 60,000 miles, not 100K miles.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts