Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing a coolant flush per the 30k maintenance schedule. Sorry to post this and ask what might be a silly question but I figure better to ask a silly question than to make a stupid mistake.

Okay so I'm in Florida and was thinking of doing the 40/60 mixture of coolant and distilled water. Or maybe 30/70. The question is.. How do you properly know how to mix that ratio? Are they talking 70% water & 30% coolant of the entire cooling system or just the jug of coolant? Like pour out 70% of it and fill the rest with water. ( that seems absurd so I'm sure thats probably not it) I just don't know what the total capacity of our cooling system is in order to determine that I've put 70% water in first.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure a few have probably already done this.

The coolant I have now looks almost like 100%. Its solid green and pretty dark looking. I bet if I could mix it 70/30 I could make sure the cooling system is running optimal. (and its an excuse to work on the car. ;) )

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,886 Posts
It should be mixed before putting in car, to be safe. But now days I find it less hassle to get the pre-mixed jug of prestone 50/50 safe for all engines and antifreeze.

I guess you want the more diluted ratio for better heat transfer efficiency, but does that give you much more than regular, to where it's worth the increased risk of freezing or corrosion?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
723 Posts
what coolant does our cars require? I just hit 30k today so I guess I'll flush mine

·
Registered
176 Posts
there's no flush required at 30k that i've seen in any maintenance guide

·
Registered
176 Posts
it's not due until 60k and then after that every 30k according to KGIS

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to this: Kia Optima: Engine control system - Maintenance schedule - Maintenance

It shows coolant to be Replaced at 48k Kilometers which is right about 30k miles. I figure it can't hurt to replace the stuff. Maybe if yours looks pretty good you can hold out till 60k but mine looks like PEA SOUP.

I'm going to make it easy and just drain and flush it. Then pour in a bottle of the redline water wetter and top it off with distilled. The water wetter should help the radiator achieve its fully rated efficiency and actually get as close as possible to the target temp that the engine / thermostat are set to run at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to this: Kia Optima: Engine control system - Maintenance schedule - Maintenance

It shows coolant to be Replaced at 48k Kilometers which is right about 30k miles. I figure it can't hurt to replace the stuff. Maybe if yours looks pretty good you can hold out till 60k but mine looks like PEA SOUP.

I'm going to make it easy and just drain and flush it. Then pour in a bottle of the redline water wetter and top it off with distilled. The water wetter should help the radiator achieve its fully rated efficiency and actually get as close as possible to the target temp that the engine / thermostat are set to run at.
Does Water Wetter mix with the new antifreeze without gumming up?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,463 Posts
Does Water Wetter mix with the new antifreeze without gumming up?
When I tried it many years ago in my 1998 Maxima SE, it did very bad things to my cooling system. Black goo!
I'd stay far away from this stuff.

Reactions: BlueOptimaOwner

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
516 Posts
Just to muddy the water I'll introduce this link about - Why you should never use Distilled water in our Cooling Systems - and let the forum experts rate the accuracy of what's said.
Author is per a coolant additive (w/water or 50/50 mix) to reduce cylinder head temps.

I'm 5 years (one of the triggers I read) in Dec so I'll probably get it done at next Oil Chg in a month.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,851 Posts
Just to muddy the water I'll introduce this link about - Why you should never use Distilled water in our Cooling Systems - and let the forum experts rate the accuracy of what's said.
Author is per a coolant additive (w/water or 50/50 mix) to reduce cylinder head temps.

I'm 5 years (one of the triggers I read) in Dec so I'll probably get it done at next Oil Chg in a month.
There's always someone that seems to be obstinate, but that's their perocative.
I've used distilled water in the system for decades and no problems, so think I'll
stick with the people that know their products.

Just a few for examples.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,886 Posts
Just chiming in to say that the "don't use distilled water" article is full of crap and made up pseudo-sciencey sounding combination of words.

Many of the claims are demonstrably false. Describes the water as "hungry" for your car's metal hahah uh no.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts