Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here and it's my first post here.

My wife and I are looking for a KIA Optima for my 20 year son. I need to know more details about every trim level (LX, EX, SX, etc). I am confused between these trim levels. My son wants a turbocharged engine, I believe it's only in a SX trim level, is that correct?

I am a former owner of BMW 335i with 300 horsepower twin-turbo six cylinder engine. I do know that it goes real fast (0-60 in 4.8 seconds). I don't know if it's a good idea for my son to have a car with turbo engine. I think it doesn't matter to me, but I need to know if KIA's turbo engine gives you a better MPG than non-turbo engine, is that correct?

At what year Optima started using Apple Play? I believe it started in 2018 model year? My son uses Apple iPhone and he requires to have that feature.

At what year Optima started using lane change warning (a flashing yellow light on the exterior mirrors)?

I'm curious, anyone in here with Optima that showed at least 200,000 miles? I am hoping that my son's future Optima will last that long. He is currently driving his 2008 BMW 328i and I personally hated this car (and I did hate my old BMW 335i, too) because the A/C system is very unreliable.

Any of you have issues with Optima's A/C system?

I think that's it and thanks so much for replying my questions.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
In the very early years, an EX could be had with the turbo engine, but seems as though you're looking at newer models so let's look at engine choices. '11-'15 192 HP 2.4 engine and 274 HP 2.0T, but in 2016 the choices changed, and now this gets tricky as to the turbo engine he wants. The base ia an N/A 2.4 185 HP, and then there are two turbo engines, and economy model 1.6T 178 HP, and the 2.0T with the lowered HP now at 245 only available in the SX, or depending on the year SXL.
Fuel mileage, in round numbers >2016 2.4-28mpg, 1.6T 31mpg, 2.0T 25mpg.
Just depends on the turbo he wants, fuel economy or a model that is loaded with the higher HP engine.

Let's jump to engine problems. The Kia Optima since the introduction of the DGI engine, both the 2.4 and 2.0T across all years as far as I'm concerned, has been plagued with engine problems, but if recalls/updates are completed lifetime engine warranty.
A/C is a problem on some as the compressor, or control valve goes south, and the unit needs to be replaced, but when operating properly it will freeze you out whether manual or dual temp control unit.

Believe Apple appeared in the 2017 model and lane change 2019, but check to be sure.

·
Registered
2016 Optima LX 1.6L
4 Posts
So I have a 2016 LX 1.6T with 50k miles (I've only had it for a few months, but put around 5k miles on it already). It does get a good fuel economy ( I average 28 but drive a bit aggressively sometimes) and it has the options for Normal, Eco, or Sport depending on the driving style. I have the technology package, and it includes Apple Car Play, Blind Spot monitoring (yellow cars and beeps at you if you try to change lanes) as well as a backup camera and rear traffic alert (beeping if someone is moving behind your car while backing up). Took me quite a while to find the 1.6T as I am guessing they aren't as common. So the technology you are looking for would probably be from 2016+(even in the LX model as I have) and as long as you have the technology package it should come with everything you want. as a bonus, my mirrors also fold in when I lock my car and the driver seat moves back to allow you to get in/out easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the 2019 SX w/ the 2.0L Turbo and it’s definitely not too fast for a younger driver. It’s got some pep, and it’s significantly better than the other optima motors in terms of acceleration, but speed demo it is not. Zero to 60 is around 6.7 seconds...so it’s not burning any rubber. In comparison, the new 2.0T Accord does the same sprint in 5.7...so a much quicker car.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
If one were worried about speed, better not drive a car, as one can get killed in any car that will get to 80 mph.
Here's a Kia Rio

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
594 Posts
My '16 SXL has the orange outside mirror Lane Chg lights, but I'll forever be envious of the Altima's lights being in the inside front windows black plastic triangle - Sun angles wash-out mine some but you'd never miss the Altima's. THAT was the ONLY thing I preferred in that rental car over mine.
I use Sport mode in heavy traffic as a safety feature as the Turbo lag is 0-minimal and I can easily get ahead to move over quickly, etc when in the wrong lane (ie) for up-ahead turns. Backing out of shop ctr parking slot I hear "car coming beeps" before I can see them (are all backups cameras that way?) --- '16 SXL's have 360 camera views which I particularly appreciate for Saving Wheels at curbs / backing into parking places (side + front boundaries aren't in backup cameras). Auto-Hold brakes car on hills / flat with foot off brake / Smart Cruise allows adjustable distances (up to my 4-car setting 173 ft) from car in front up to full auto-stopping. Autonomous braking I'm afraid feels like last second / ruin your shorts stuff BUT Smart Cruise is Very Responsive to things in front (on interstate I tap brake to disengage it as someone passing and then pulling in front of you at equal or just a little more speed will cause your braking). 21-24 mpg local per # red lights -- and up to 34 mpg traveling at 73 mph.
I will Lose Features IF I ever got a later car. I'm a BIG '16 SXL fan.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
17 Posts
In the very early years, an EX could be had with the turbo engine, but seems as though you're looking at newer models so let's look at engine choices. '11-'15 192 HP 2.4 engine and 274 HP 2.0T, but in 2016 the choices changed, and now this gets tricky as to the turbo engine he wants. The base ia an N/A 2.4 185 HP, and then there are two turbo engines, and economy model 1.6T 178 HP, and the 2.0T with the lowered HP now at 245 only available in the SX, or depending on the year SXL.
Fuel mileage, in round numbers >2016 2.4-28mpg, 1.6T 31mpg, 2.0T 25mpg.
Just depends on the turbo he wants, fuel economy or a model that is loaded with the higher HP engine.

Let's jump to engine problems. The Kia Optima since the introduction of the DGI engine, both the 2.4 and 2.0T across all years as far as I'm concerned, has been plagued with engine problems, but if recalls/updates are completed lifetime engine warranty.
A/C is a problem on some as the compressor, or control valve goes south, and the unit needs to be replaced, but when operating properly it will freeze you out whether manual or dual temp control unit.

Believe Apple appeared in the 2017 model and lane change 2019, but check to be sure.
Hello,
I have the 2017 Hybrid and it came with Apple Play and Samsung. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
a turbo for a 20 year old is asking for trouble not even to mention the insurance costs to go with it.

I have a 2015 SX Limited Turbo and love it. As far as Apple CarPlay or Android Auto it did not come with it originally however KIA did release an update some time ago that allowed you to add it via an update through the navigation SD card. I’ve noticed that KIA seems to have removed it publicly (not sure where you can get it from now). The car does haul ass big time and has great pick up to it without even having to turn on Turbo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, I am new here and it's my first post here.

My wife and I are looking for a KIA Optima for my 20 year son. I need to know more details about every trim level (LX, EX, SX, etc). I am confused between these trim levels. My son wants a turbocharged engine, I believe it's only in a SX trim level, is that correct?

I am a former owner of BMW 335i with 300 horsepower twin-turbo six cylinder engine. I do know that it goes real fast (0-60 in 4.8 seconds). I don't know if it's a good idea for my son to have a car with turbo engine. I think it doesn't matter to me, but I need to know if KIA's turbo engine gives you a better MPG than non-turbo engine, is that correct?

At what year Optima started using Apple Play? I believe it started in 2018 model year? My son uses Apple iPhone and he requires to have that feature.

At what year Optima started using lane change warning (a flashing yellow light on the exterior mirrors)?

I'm curious, anyone in here with Optima that showed at least 200,000 miles? I am hoping that my son's future Optima will last that long. He is currently driving his 2008 BMW 328i and I personally hated this car (and I did hate my old BMW 335i, too) because the A/C system is very unreliable.

Any of you have issues with Optima's A/C system?

I think that's it and thanks so much for replying my questions.
I am a two (2) Kia Optima owner. A 2011, 2.4L NA, with 166,00 miles. Super car, no problems whatsoever. I did use a 10-30w oil (not 0-20w or a 5-20) I felt that the very light weight oil was too low for a car operating in a 1800 to 2200 RPM range (city). This was a concern for rod&crank bearings, having max bearing engine loads at low rpm and low oil pressure. Also Calif summer heat which means even more viscosity loss and less bearing lubrication. My 2014 Otima 2.4 NA is a super car, no problems, with 92,000 miles. Both cars averages about 24 city to 33 highway mpg. I do not over maintain the two cars with a lots of excessive work that dealers push on you. I change Trans fluid every 100,000 miles.Serpetine belts at 100.000 miles. I have had excellent service, lack of problems, a comfortable size sedan at an excellent value (initial price, upkeep costs, gas mileage costs,repairs) The 2.4L NA still has enough get-up and go HP to get one into trouble. But NOT a HIGH PERFORMANCE sports car. I'm always amazed at drivers that buy a car, spends tons of money to make the car what its not, and still have a car that is not designed to accelerate, stop, and then turn at G-forces not intended by its builder. So do not give your young inexperienced driver a high performance car (turbo) car that will get him in lots of problems.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
I am a two (2) Kia Optima owner. A 2011, 2.4L NA, with 166,00 miles. Super car, no problems whatsoever. I did use a 10-30w oil (not 0-20w or a 5-20) I felt that the very light weight oil was too low for a car operating in a 1800 to 2200 RPM range (city). This was a concern for rod&crank bearings, having max bearing engine loads at low rpm and low oil pressure. Also Calif summer heat which means even more viscosity loss and less bearing lubrication. My 2014 Otima 2.4 NA is a super car, no problems, with 92,000 miles. Both cars averages about 24 city to 33 highway mpg. I do not over maintain the two cars with a lots of excessive work that dealers push on you. I change Trans fluid every 100,000 miles.Serpetine belts at 100.000 miles. I have had excellent service, lack of problems, a comfortable size sedan at an excellent value (initial price, upkeep costs, gas mileage costs,repairs) The 2.4L NA still has enough get-up and go HP to get one into trouble. But NOT a HIGH PERFORMANCE sports car. I'm always amazed at drivers that buy a car, spends tons of money to make the car what its not, and still have a car that is not designed to accelerate, stop, and then turn at G-forces not intended by its builder. So do not give your young inexperienced driver a high performance car (turbo) car that will get him in lots of problems.
There are some people that have cars in their blood and will never change, at any age. The Honda Accord, Toyota Camry both have more HP than the >'16 2.0T 245HP, not a blazing fast car if you look up the numbers, and that engine can only be had in a model with all the options available, similar to our EX that has every option available. Having said that, there are people like yourself, no pun intended, that sees the vehicle as basic transportation, similar to my father that knew nothing about about a vehicle, other than to keep it pristine in appearance and up to date with normal maintenance.

Just wanted to add, no viscosity or type of oil, synthetic/Dino will keep the engine from self destruction, some go, some don't. If the you examine the mileage when the engines let go, 7,000 to over 200,000 miles, so just keep your fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts