Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy doing my title work tried his best to get me to buy the KIA extended warranty. He wanted $1500.00 for a full 10 year on bumper to bumper warranty. He stated at 3 years over 6,000 items would be my cost. He even said the radio would cost me if it went out over 3 years. He said it would cost a lot due to running Bluetooth and the Apple play. Then he said the 5 years would cover around 4000 items and then the drive train warranty only cover parts that run in oil?

I just don't see much talk about what is NOT covered after 3 years? I feel like he was blowing smoke up my (where the sun don't shine). I usually only drive a new car around 5-6 years so I wasn't really interested in any extended warranty BUT the 3 year stuff makes me wonder?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found it ... Guess no smoke after all

3-year/36,000-mile Audio / Entertainment Warranty

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
All depends on the mileage you put on the car annually as you found, there are different yr/mileage intervals for specific products, so just check the Kia warranty booklet for info.
Now in 5 years I'll put about 165k miles on the car so the warranty doesn't last very long, but I buy used cars so that's out the window anyway. The only good point is that the engine has a lifetime warranty, so the car will be around the a long time.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I wonder what amount the discussion changes if the guarantee venture is 100% refundable if not utilized? We've sold a huge amount of these guarantees which permit unbounded cases in the Producer Guarantee period and the discount is possibly void if there is a case made in the augmentation time frame. It appears to be unreasonable not to purchase this guarantee by then in the event that you have a 5 year+ time skyline for claiming your vehicle...Peace of Psyche and Worth are not, at this point totally unrelated!
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder how KIA gets away with this 3 year crap when it's not even posted on the Window Sticker. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth with KIA and their bragging on their warranty

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
139 Posts
I never bought an extended warranty in all my years of buying cars. Put that money in the bank and IF something happens you will have it covered. You won’t spend all the money you saved over the years on repairs. Extended “service contracts” are a huge revenue source. They really only pay out 10 cents for every dollar they collect. They wouldn’t offer it if they lost money

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
Yes, but there is always one person that comes out smelling like a rose. Maybe 5 years ago the daughter purchased a 2009 Audi, great looking car with 71,000miles. Long story short, the engine went and the warranty company covered all expenses, then after maybe 6 months during a storm, a tree came down on the roof at the rear window area and the car was totaled.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They say "10 year 100 mile Drive-train warranty" then they say only D/T parts that run in oil ONLY. So, I guess it's only engine and transmission that is covered. Oh well, better than some warranties LOL

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
139 Posts
You have to read the warranty docs. They specify exactly what’s covered. On my 14 the warranty stated turbo, bearings, seals, internal engine & trans components, water pump and and some other stuff I don’t know off the top of my head. Also what people forget is some stuff is covered under emission warranty for 8 year 80k miles that dealerships charge for replacement because people don’t know. Always read your docs and go in prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,146 Posts
It's easy for most Kia owners to focus on the 10 yr/100K powertrain and 5 yr/60K basic factory warranties yet more than a few of them tend to not realize or overlook that the basic 5 yr/60K mile factory warranty doesn't extend to the audio and entertainment system (think UVO/navigation) and paint (more than a few threads in this forum about peeling/fading/flaking paint) which is covered only up to 3 yr/36K miles. Heaven forbid that the audio USB port (used for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) or your UVO touchscreen or the GPS antenna for the factory navigation no longer works or your paint starts flaking off after your 3 year/36K audio/entertainment/paint factory warranty expires; I'd be willing to bet that the cost of a replacement Kia UVO navigation head unit (and that's not even factoring in the installation labor costs) is more than the typical price of an extended vehicle warranty which for all we know may even have its own limitations when it comes to coverage of certain types of components.

But yeah extended warranties are essentially insurance polices and like pretty much most if not all types of insurance polices, are a gamble but sometimes it may be worth taking that gamble depending on the type of risk involved. And no, I'm not a shill for extended warranties--I did get one for my Optima but did not get one back in the day for my GMC Yukon.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
67 Posts
When I bought my 2018 EX, the dealer was very clear to point out the shorter warranty period on some items such as radio, paint, etc. He tried to use that as a justification for selling me an extended warranty (which I declined).
Probably varies by dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts