Kia Optima Forums banner

201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Ebay is your best bet. Just look at the pics of the back/bottom of the housings. The ballast for the HID is on the bottom. If it doesn't have that then its halogen.
Most will specify halogen or not in the description though.
Thanks... I was looking through them and found that exact picture (or at least one that was very similar). So, I deleted my question. But I appreciate you answering. =)
This is something I will have to keep in mind before doing a retrofit, but I am still very interested in doing the mod.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I wonder if the inner bracket beam alignment squares within the Optima HID headlamp is similar in specs to the Sonata.

Here is the Sonata - I know they aren't Identical, but if the spacing where the same for the major mounting points - Optima shrouds/bezels might work in my Sonata headlamps.

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
Is the leveling screw for the high beam one with the low beam? Both projectors will be controlled by one screw?

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
Nice I'm gonna do this to my 2014. Hopefully after the black Friday sale from TRS. Wonder of the mini d2s will work well

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX
272 Posts
Old thread I know but I am planning on doing the same but dont wanna mess with swapping halogen lenses or dealing with the stock halogen beam bluring the amazing Mini H1 cutoff... What do you guys think about just disabling the stock halogen and putting some 6000k led strips in there ( i have rolls an rolls of them) so it looks on but puts out little to no light on the street?

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Old thread I know but I am planning on doing the same but dont wanna mess with swapping halogen lenses or dealing with the stock halogen beam bluring the amazing Mini H1 cutoff... What do you guys think about just disabling the stock halogen and putting some 6000k led strips in there ( i have rolls an rolls of them) so it looks on but puts out little to no light on the street?
Sounds interesting. the Mini H1's by themselves aren't the best projectors to use as main headlights, but they will get you by. putting LED's in the halogen projector im interested in seeing, at night if they are on and are not as bright as the MMH1's it might look strange with the inner projectors being bright and the outer projectors not so bright. Worth a shot though :thumbsup: dont forget pics

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX
272 Posts
Sounds interesting. the Mini H1's by themselves aren't the best projectors to use as main headlights, but they will get you by. putting LED's in the halogen projector im interested in seeing, at night if they are on and are not as bright as the MMH1's it might look strange with the inner projectors being bright and the outer projectors not so bright. Worth a shot though :thumbsup: dont forget pics
i have rolls and rolls of them.. ones like these.. there are 2 main led types i am sure you know (3528 and 5050, 5050 being much brighter...)

I have boxes of these from a project I was doing..

5050leds.jpg

So I could pack the inside of the projector with the bright 5050's and change them to any color I want.. should be pretty sweet

You think it is safe to run 55 watts in the mini H1's?

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
i have rolls and rolls of them.. ones like these.. there are 2 main led types i am sure you know (3528 and 5050, 5050 being much brighter...)

I have boxes of these from a project I was doing..

View attachment 144506

So I could pack the inside of the projector with the bright 5050's and change them to any color I want.. should be pretty sweet

You think it is safe to run 55 watts in the mini H1's?
IIRC the MMH1's are not safe for 55W, 55W will burn the projector bowl, the mini D2S can do 55W i think, but unsure of the fitment on those

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
17 Posts
Looks like I'm a little late to the party on this thread but during my research I got redirected to this DIY. I want to change my orange reflectors to white, but do I have to use LED's like you did or can I use a regular bulb? I was planning on just using white covers. If I can do it that way will I need a switchback bulb?

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Looks like I'm a little late to the party on this thread but during my research I got redirected to this DIY. I want to change my orange reflectors to white, but do I have to use LED's like you did or can I use a regular bulb? I was planning on just using white covers. If I can do it that way will I need a switchback bulb?
You should be able to use regular halogen bulbs. If you are using the white film EXLED sells i'm not sure how they will handle the heat. Just be aware, with halogen bulbs behind white covers it might not look the best, halogen bulbs have a yellowish hue to them that will show on the white covers, a small white led bulb is cheap and will look better.

Any single bulb will have the problem of appearing as a hotspot of light on the film at night. The best look would be to have the light illuminate the whole side marker like this
exLED Kia Optima K5 ('10~) Light Diffuser Film Front Reflector 2Way Module

If your going thorugh the trouble of baking the headlights open to white the side markers, might as well get some LED's while your at it

·
Registered
2012 KIA 2012 Optima LX
177 Posts
@g4z808 I get what you mean with the hot spot but isnt that what it is stock? a single bulb lighting the side marker up? we were thinking that if he had white instead of orange and replaced the stock bulb with an led switchback, then it should essentially have the same effect as stock.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

but then again, i dont know if there is more wiring or anything involved with using switchback led lights or not.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts