Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few members have asked me to put together a DIY for my quad projector headlights.

But the work i did is in no way professional and there could defiantly be better ways to do it,

ingredients:

1. Optima headlights

2. LED angel eyes in 80 mm Morimoto xB LED Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc
these are probably the brightest possible angel eyes on the market. a ver 2.0 is supposed to be comming out in the coming months that promises to be even brighter

3. Morimoto Mini H1 projectors with mini Gatling gun shrouds
Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 5.0 - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

If you want to save $ you can email the seller and ask for a $60 pair of projectors, these come with no warrenty and are untested and un tuned. I bought the $60 projectors. At full price they come with a good warrenty and they individually test and tune each projector to get a perfect cutoff

4. A H1 HID kit. You can use any kit that you want, as long as its H1. i used a ebay kit
But to give you a idea of the best avaliable there is this
H1: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

5. a Relay harness . If you purchased the above HID kit , then it comes with a relay. but if you do not have one, heres the one i used
Low Beam: H1/H3 - Relay Harnesses from The Retrofit Source Inc
It is a very nice harness, thick cables. i got mine used for $15

6. Check to see if your headlights fit in your oven, if they dont then you will need a heat gun .
Wagner Power Products 503008 HT 1000 1, 200-Watt Heat Gun - Amazon.com

7. you will need a rotary tool, like a dremel. if you dont have one heres what i have
Amazon.com: Black & Decker RTX-B 3-Speed RTX Rotary Tool Kit: Home Improvement

8. Black glossy spray paint

9. adhesive, such as auto goop( for gluing halo rings)
Eclectic Prod. 160011 Automotive Adhesive Goop : Amazon.com : Home Improvement

10. White side markers
exLED Kia Optima K5 ('10~) Front Reflector Light Diffuser Film

11. Exled sells a side marker led kit that looks really nice for $75
exLED Panel Lighting Reflector LED Module for K5 (Optima)
But i cheaped out and bought this
Audi Style LED Strip Lights | LED Fog Lights | LED Daytime Lights DRL

12. long screwdriver or pry tool
13. 12v power source
14 misc. wires. i used speaker wire
15. solder iron
16 wire stripper

STEPS:

1. remove your headlights from the car. to do this you must peel the bumper back some. unplug the headlight connector , and auto level connector

there are 2 bolts that hold the headlight ontop

When pulling the headlight out. be careful not to scratch your bumper paint, as there is a lip on the bottom of the headlight you have to carefully maneuver out

use some tape and a wall so you can record where the stock cuttoff is
+ and - for low beam is top and bottom pins on far left

3. Remove 2 screws from the housing, dont forget to do this or you will have a very hard time opening the headlight.

4. remove the turn signal bulb and the side marker bulb

5. Start heating up your headlight. i used the heatgun on high and slowly circled around the seams for about 10 minutes, be careful not to spend to much time on a single area as it mill start melting the housing

6. grab your pry tool and find a spot to start prying the headlight open , once you get the housing cracked open a little , grab your heatgun on low and heat the glue as you pry

be careful with the black part of the housing as it bends easily when heated

7. once you have the housing open , unscrew these 3 peices from the front of the housing

8. grab the back of the housing

and take out the headlight bracket, there are 3 clips holding it in place

and there is also a adjustment screw for the 4th clip
I am missing the picture for it. but for people with stock HID there is a small black box on the outside back of the headlight with a turn knob that adjusts the headlight up and down . spin the adjuster counter-clockwise until it lets go of the light bracket

9. pull out the bracket

10. eat some lunch

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
11.Now starts the cutting

7. unscrew the 3 screws holding the high beam reflector bowl and take off the bulb and clips

8. grab your cutting tools

9. cutt out the inside of this circle

10. cut the rest of the post off, so it is flat ( feel free to cut nicer than me)

11. flip the bowl over and cutt off this thing in the way, cut a hole in it so you can route some wires through it if you wish.

12. Grab your new projector with shroud attached. put it in the hole and mark where you have to cut the top and bottom

Wire is the high beam solenoid wire

13. Not pictured
grab this other part that the high beam bowl pressed against and cut off some of the chrome strip on the bottom and a small space for the projector

Part on the left shows where i cut

14. test fit the projector bowl with the other part you just cut to see it they fit together okay. do additional cutting as required.

15. after you are done cutting. paint the parts as pictured above

16. while that dries you can attach the led ring to the low beam shroud
I used auto goop and glued the ring to the bottom part of the shroud

and i routed the wires through the side of the shroud. its not visable when looking at the car head on . you have to get in close at a angle to see it

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17. i also glued a 3x5050 blue led strip to a hole in the stock projector

and another to the new projectors

18. Cut the led strip into small peices

and solder wires to the peices together, that way is it flexable and can fit

19. pop out the orange reflectors and glue down the led strips to the side marker reflector

20. attach the white side marker film to the headlight housing as described on exleds product page. i did not use the soldering gun to melt the film. i just used black electrical tape to hold it down

21. when the paint is dry screw the reflector bowl back to the bracket and put the new projector in and screw it down

22. put a bulb in the new projector and turn on both the stock projector and the new projector so you can allign the beams. make sure the rotational allignment is correct so they are both flat with each other
and try matching up the cuttoffs in both beams as good as you can . you may need to move around the new projector until this is good

Stock:

new:

together :

23.now for wiring . cut the connectors off the high beam solenoid wires on the new projector
strip the wires back a bit. and splice them into the stock high beam wires (green and black)
this makes it so that when you activate your high beams it will actuate the solenoid and put the projectors into high beam mode

24. Cut a 1" hole into the high beam caps and feed the grommet on the HID bulbs into it

25. on the drivers side head light you will have to splice the relay activation wires into the stock low beam wires (yellow and black) this will make it so that every time your headlights come one the relay will activate your new lights and you will have all 4 projectors on

26. attach the light bracket back to the headlight housing. you will need to spin the adjustment knob clockwise till it screws the bracket in . squeeze the 3 clips so they re-attach

27. screw back in everything else you took off

28. splice the wires from the side marker leds into the stock side marker wires (black and black with stripe)

29. route the wires for the halo rings and the projector leds through the grommet

30. re-test all the lights and make sure they are all good. make sure the allignment on the projector is good. grab a can of air and blow out any dust inside of your housing

31. heat up the glue till soft and press the headlight housing back together

32. put your headlight back onto the space you marked earlier and spin the adjustment knob till the lights are back to where they where before you opened them

33. marvel

34. wire up the relay harness as you would a normal hid kit
wire the halo rings to a switched fuse. that way they come on as DRL's

look at your lights

·
2014 ROTY
2013 Kia Optima
2,575 Posts
Beautiful work, I agree that it is a little more than I would be willing to tackle, but excellent job!!!

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the kind words
this is by no means a professional job, and staring closely at it i can find little nicks and mistakes i made . I also did not wipe the inside of the headlight housing good enough , so there are some streaks . and my alignment is not perfect i have a little bowing of the new cuttoff.

But i plan to fix all that once i order another set of led rings, i only have one ring on each side as of now. waiting for a good sale to order another.

Loman tried very hard to discourage me to do this , said he was a engineer and he found it to be extremely difficult . thought i couldn't handle it i guess :rolleyes:

·
2014 ROTY
2013 Kia Optima
2,575 Posts
Loman tried very hard to discourage me to do this , said he was a engineer and he found it to be extremely difficult . thought i couldn't handle it i guess :rolleyes:
Well he doesn't have the best judgement as I'm sure you know. I was just happy getting my LED tails installed this weekend and actually getting them to work properly. Can't imagine trying something like this. I say it's pretty darn good for your first attempt.

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont imagine very many people will be going for the full retrofit. but at least this guide can help people wanting to install led angel eyes. that alone can be done in a day

i also forgot to mention with this mod you lose you high beam flash ability . if your lights are turned off and you press the high beam mode then the solenoids will activate. but there will be no light for them to flash .

your headlights have to already be on to activate high beam mode .

im thinking of maybe wiring the high beam to a separate indicator so that i can still flash .

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Nice work.. from what I can see, you didn't use a new shroud on the headlight projector?- but only on the high beam projector? I'm also thinking about doing this but I want to place the Gatling 2.0 shroud over the headlight projector.. I don't know if it'll fit though.. hmm.. :thinking:

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work.. from what I can see, you didn't use a new shroud on the headlight projector?- but only on the high beam projector? I'm also thinking about doing this but I want to place the Gatling 2.0 shroud over the headlight projector.. I don't know if it'll fit though.. hmm.. :thinking:
I have HID low beams so i left that completely stock. not to sure if new shrouds will fit, havent tried

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work bud!
in answer to your deleted question i now have 2 low beam projectors and 2 low/high beam projectors
when i turn on my headlights all 4 come on. and when i pull the left control stalk the 2 middle projectors drop a solenoid and go into high beam mode

also i just found out that when my headlights are off and i pull the left control stalk as if i was flashing my high beams the projectors turn on . so i can still flash my headlights. but this is not to good for the lights as HID's dont like to be flashed

and yes i can have all 4 lights and my fogs on at the same time.
except i cant do that because i melted one of my fog lights

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sucks u have to reopen the lights.. I'm sure they'll look great
Naw opening them's a breeze once you figure it out. the thing i had a hard time with the first couple times i opened them was i didnt take out the 2 screws :duh:

i can get them open in maybe 20 minutes each side

plus i need to get them open to adjust my cutoff anyways .

I cant wait for the new rings. the current ones are plenty bright already. easily outshining any ccfl ring that most people use
and with a solid ring of light that SMD led rings cant do

hopefully someone here will want to buy my current ones. if not for use in headlights then for use somewhere else in the car.
before i put them in my headlights i opened my door panel and put them behind the speaker grille.
But they where way to bright at night pretty much blinding me. so i put some blue painters tape over them, which brought the brightness way down and made them blue.

maybe someone will put them in their taillights and make some led tails

possibility's are endless

1 - 20 of 227 Posts