Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Push Start Stopped Working :-( UPDATED!!

I've had my EX (Non turbo) for 4 trouble free months.But today when I pressed the start button it displayed remote not found (or something like that)I thought the battery might be dead, so I tried the spare key... same thing.Any ideas???Thanks!

UPDATE 12/13

So I took my 2011 ex Optima to the dealer. The key was not the problem.

After about 30 minutes the dealer tech told me he called Kia tech support and they told him that there has been numerous calls with this same issue that just started over last 2 weeks. They told the dealer they haven't identified the problem, but they told the dealer to disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect it.

It did fix the problem, but they still don't know why it is happening. Kia told him they think it might be a software problem and once identified they would issue a tsb.

Anybody have a similar problem???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you FIRMLY pressing on the brake pedal? My wife got in, had a brain fart and just jabbed the start button - with no results. A frantic call to me and she admitted she forgot to press the brake pedal.

But if it's TOTALLY dead with NO response then that's not it, the car turns on to what is the ACCESSORY mode in keyed cars when you press the button without the brake.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Could be the brake switch not working anymore...

·
Registered
152 Posts
How did you then get the car started-------------------------also--on the camry hybrid you would place the key fob logo on the start button and push.This would start the car so you could get it to the dealer. Do't know why--but it worked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did you then get the car started-------------------------also--on the camry hybrid you would place the key fob logo on the start button and push.This would start the car so you could get it to the dealer. Do't know why--but it worked.
There is a slot in the glove box for these situations. You just slide the key fob into the slot and press the start button.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How many people have read their owner's manuals? The manual explains what to do in these situations....and as other posters have said....place said fob in said glovebox receptacle and voila!!
Looks like a visit to the dealer in this situation...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,637 Posts
All electronics may require S/W updates in their life span. The update for the 2011 vehicles to update for the 2 fobs corrects the issue. I wouldn't even consider this an issue on a 2012.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I just had this happen. Dead, pressed and held the start button, no go. Had both keys in glove box, no go. Battery disconnect, no go. I could not get this thing to start this morning.

Lucky me I didn't have to witness my car on the tow truck, I would have been more pissed than I already am. Had the mother wait for them to show. Called the dealership after them having it for an hour and they still haven't even tagged it. Not a happy camper.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI Korean Model
1,456 Posts
I think I have a solution for this. It's fairly simple. I had that problem around Dec where I can't turn on my car.

The solution is that I turned my wheel when I got in my car, it basically lock the ignition. So what I did was to unlock the wheel by move the wheel left and right...

I'm pretty sure it's the solution... The battery disconnect also resets the steering wheel point, so that's why you can start the car right away after 10 min...

Let me know if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
I just had this happen. Dead, pressed and held the start button, no go. Had both keys in glove box, no go.
Just having the key in the glove box isn't going to help. You have to insert the keyfob into a slot to the left of the opened glove box. Only one fits at a time. This is useful when the battery dies in the keyfob.Not sure if that's what the OPs issue was, but it may help you!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Just having the key in the glove box isn't going to help. You have to insert the keyfob into a slot to the left of the opened glove box. Only one fits at a time. This is useful when the battery dies in the keyfob.Not sure if that's what the OPs issue was, but it may help you!
Thanks, i know this. I tried both keys in the slot. I'm no dummy.

Reactions: JasonS

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,432 Posts
Great reply. :bestpost:

I tell my wife this all the time:smile:

Reactions: JasonS

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope they find a permanent fix. I had the same issue 8 months ago and they diagnosed the issue as the brake switch and fixed it. Well, today, same thing starts happening. I have it scheduled to be fixed again next week. At least I know how to start the car now without pushing on the brake. Thanks for that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts