Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Optima EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this ? I noticed the length of the oil filter is longer than the Purolator Pure one (or kia filter) let me know your thoughts
Thank you

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
I'm going to say, an oil filter is an oil filter, not much anyone can say about their performance, and one that touts 15,000 mile oil change intervals, far in excess of the recommended mileage change would be considered, at least by me, a waste of money.

My question would be why spend $15 on a filter when the OEM can be had for @ $5. Not that I'm an OEM guy, but with these engines it can't hurt.

The old '08, 2.4 with 300k miles, I used any Dino oil/oil filter that was on sale and the engine is spotless inside and no mechanical engine problems, now the >'11 that's a different story.
Don't misinterpret that statement, it doesn't mean that any oil filter used other than OEM will be a concern, it's just at the price I choose to go OEM.

Also, oil type along with a specific oil filter won't help the engine survive or stop any potential excessive oil consumption, so just use the viscosity, oil/filter change interval recommended, and keep your fingers crossed.

A little lengthy, but early and passing time before going outside.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
If you mean the length of the filter is physically longer that's a good thing. More filter media, precision pleats and better flow is a plus. I have always scoffed at the little shorty filters even though there is room for longer ones. Have you held or looked at the Kia Optima version? The picture on the web site might just show a longer one but the Optima version could be same as OEM.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
22 Posts
Use the OEM filter. It's inexpensive, it tests very well, and there's a lot of talk about the fact that aftermarket filters don't get the pressure relief valve right compared to OEM.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I actually just put the boss filter on my 2011 optima ex Turbo yesterday. Before that I had a synthetic pennzoil ultra filter. Along with 0w40 euro formula full synthetic. Car sounds really quiet now, was suprised, the normal tick sound quieted. My 11 ex-t has 95k miles. I paid like $8 for filter on Amazon on sale and 19.99 for the jug of full synthetic 0w40 Castrol edge(watch Amazon regularly, can get items cheaper at times, all my full synthetic oil from penz ultra Plat, mobile 1 and mobile 1 ep etc I get at sale time for always under $20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts