Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure if I have the ability to program my Kia to open my garage door? Was that an add on I could have opted for? If so, no one gave me that option... how would I know if I can program the car to open the garage door? Is that homelink?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
I've done some reading, so this isn't from personal knowledge, but it has been stated that Kia had eliminated that feature on the 2020.
Hopefully others will either confirm or deny.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that is the case, that is pretty shocking. I can’t imagine having a button that can link up to your garage door would be that expensive... I would think that would of been standard. Never thought to ask about that.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
"Homelink" is the option. It was either installed or not. On my 18 optima SXL it wasnt included. But on my 18 Sedona sx it has 3 of the buttons on the rearview mirror. If you dont have additional buttons on the mirror. You prob dont have it.

I'm not sure if adding it is as easy as swapping the rearview mirror or if it has a module somewhere else youd have to get as well.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
OP--as I mentioned in your vehicle purchase thread you'll need to buy one either from Kia or a third-party vendor. Homelink is not even a factory-installed option on Optimas so unless you specify it on a build-to-order Optima you'll either have to hunt for a vehicle that already has it installed or in OP's case buy one after the fact.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
I agree, but there isn't a HomeLink button on the mirror. The ECM only has
On/off
Indicator Light
Sensor

Just wanted to add a far cry from the mirror in our '11 features:
Auto Dimming
Electronic compass
Homelink that can activate:
Garage door
Electric gate
Home lighting

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, all is well I went out and purchase a garage door remote today. no big deal, would have been nice to have the option to open it from a button within the vehicle, like my 14. Thanks for the info All!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Maybe Kia is starting to realize that IoT has taken off...maybe? You'd think that they could have still offered it even if only as a dealer-installed option but even that choice is not available for 2020 Optimas...but apparently Kia believes there is a greater demand for puddle lights (which is available as a dealer option whereas it was included with the no-longer offered SXL trim) than there is for Homelink mirrors.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Maybe Kia is starting to realize that IoT has taken off...maybe? You'd think that they could have still offered it even if only as a dealer-installed option but even that choice is not available for 2020 Optimas...but apparently Kia believes there is a greater demand for puddle lights (which is available as a dealer option whereas it was included with the no-longer offered SXL trim) than there is for Homelink mirrors.
Just curious, now that you mention options that are deleted, when did they stop the heated steering wheel and the rear seat heaters?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2020 ex premium has those features... the heated steering. Oh, good question about the rear heated seats.. I am not positive whether or not the model I have has it,. But it certainly does have the heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Sorry if this is off-topic, but is there something about Homelink that makes it obsolete on older cars now?

Somehow I'm remember something about where the more recent Homelink garage door openers had switched to a more advanced encryption or something, and the older cars with Homelink were not able to be updated, so it's just a waste now?

I was able to get my 2012 SX rearview mirror homelink to work with a garage door opener from like 2016 I think? But I haven't tried with a more recent garage door opener.

Oh, maybe the solution is this: you get an adapter for the new garage door opener, which receives the old-style signals from your old car, and translates them into newer signals for the garage door opener. Has anyone tried this with their built-in Optima Homelink?

https://www.chamberlain.com/about-chamberlain/homelink

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, you are absolutely correct KingFatty.

I have a 2013 Optima LX and it's as basic as they come. My original mirror was the standard manual flip and like you I wanted the compass, self-dimming, and ability to open my garage doors. I ordered a rear-view mirror from ebay with all those features and the homelink. I had just purchased two new garage door openers in 2016 and couldn't get them to work with the homelink. After a lot of research I found out that around 2011 they updated the the security and encryption of the newer garage door openers and homelink doesn't work with them. After more research I found the "Liftmaster 855lm Chamberlain OEM Homelink Compatibility Bridge". I purchased that and was able to link my homelink in my car on the mirror with the bridge and then the bridge to my garage door openers.

It does take a little extra time and an extra steps when programing but I can now do the first door with the first button and the second door with the second button and both doors at once with the third button (both at once comes in handy for trash day and putting the cans in and out of the garage lol). I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
My 2020 ex premium has those features... the heated steering. Oh, good question about the rear heated seats.. I am not positive whether or not the model I have has it,. But it certainly does have the heated steering wheel.
Rear heated seats not offered on any 2020 Optima trim level, at least according to the Kia website. What's even more interesting is that AFAICT the website makes no mention that the Surround View Monitor option is even offered for 2020 Optimas--did Kia indeed remove it as an available option? If so, then I suppose that makes the 2018 and 2019 Optima SXL as the last ones that came fully loaded without any serious decontenting like what's happened with the 2020 Optima.

But hey, at least you get both Lane Keeping Assist and Driver Attention Warning--neither of which were available for Optima until 2019 MY.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True.. the heated back seats were nice, but certainly not essential. I really like the Lane Keeping Assist... even though there are times when I will turn it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe you can get the homelink mirror to work with your car if you have the auto dimming mirror already. I had the same thing in my 2018 SXL and was able to purchase a used $30 mirror off ebay and get it to work. The key for getting it to work with later model garage door openers is you need the ones that have the model number ending in HL4. The ones ending in HL3 don't seem to work on newer openers and require the bridge as previously discussed.
Screenshot_20200429-065609_Gallery.jpg

If your connector looks like mine above, it is doable with some easy modification. The power for the homelink portion of the mirror comes from the wire labeled lights in the picture. I didn't want to have to turn on the lights in order to be able to open the garage door so I was just going to remove the existing wire/pin and put a new one in that location that had 12V on it either all the time or at least with the car running. I could not get the pin out of that connector so I just left it and I put a new one in below that pin and moved the corresponding pin in the connector on the mirror down one. If you can get that pin out, just put a new one in there that has 12V on it and you are done. I guess you could just cut the light wire and splice into it, I just hate cutting factor wiring and that is why I wanted to put in a different connector altogether. I just ran a jumper wire over from the wire labeled IGN which gets power when the ignition is turned on. That means the homelink will only work when the ignition is on, but that is OK for me, If you want it to work at any time, find a constant 12V source instead. I think there is one in the console where the lights are that is easy to get to.

Like you, I couldn't believe that these cars don't have the homelink option, but I love it in my other cars and found a way to get it...and at an affordable cost for me. Hopefully your 2020 is the same as my 2018, but who knows. They seem to like to make random changes at random times.

HIH

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the 2020 hybrid and it has no garage door opener. Dealer tried to install the Homelink one (~$350) from prior year, but connectors are different sat the mirror so it stays with the UVO mirror.

He thinks the hybrid, being built in So. Korea, does not come with the garage door opener as they do not have many garages there as many have communal parking garages or apartments.

Annoying to carry a remote button as olden days, but it works. The newer garage door openers can work from a cellphone app, but doing it that way would be much slower than the older remote button.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
The newer garage door openers can work from a cellphone app, but doing it that way would be much slower than the older remote button.
Hmmm that might be a function of the app (and/or its backend server) and/or cellphone/wifi signal strength. When I pull up to my driveway my phone connects to my home's wifi, thus when I use my app to open my garage door the delay between pressing the button on my app and when the door actually starts to open is minimal and tolerable...but definitely not much slower than using the OEM garage door opener remote.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts