Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been asked, but what is the easiest way to pull the belt? I have searched here, the Internet, watched videos, and read thread after thread, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the belt off. I have a 2013 Optima with the 2.4 and need to replace the idler pulley next to the alternator. How do I get this belt off?! Thanks in advance for your replies.
From research, most say the bolt on the tensioner is 17mm, but my bolt seems to be a 14mm? Additionally, I've borrowed a serpentine belt puller tool (no use), tried a breaker bar in conjunction with a 14mm open-ended wrench - no luck.
What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
Not the best, but it does show the 17mm put on the tensioner pulley:

I've gone in from the bottom, remove tire/wheel, plastic cover and have better access to the tensioner pulley bolt using a long serpentine removal tool. I even had to grind down a 17mm socket so as it would fit between the bolt and body upright.
Haven't replaced any pulleys on the '11, but on the '08 2.4, found that to access the pulley bolts,a rachet wrench made the work a lot easier.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
I did it the easy way. When recieved my new engine, I asked them to replace the serpentine belt instead of putting back the old one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate your time and the video, Turbo. I'll give this a try this weekend!

1st, that's the way to do it! Something that I still need to have looked in, even if it may be too late.

·
Registered
2015 Optima SX Turbo Optima SX Turbo
6 Posts
I apologize if this has been asked, but what is the easiest way to pull the belt? I have searched here, the Internet, watched videos, and read thread after thread, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the belt off. I have a 2013 Optima with the 2.4 and need to replace the idler pulley next to the alternator. How do I get this belt off?! Thanks in advance for your replies.
From research, most say the bolt on the tensioner is 17mm, but my bolt seems to be a 14mm? Additionally, I've borrowed a serpentine belt puller tool (no use), tried a breaker bar in conjunction with a 14mm open-ended wrench - no luck.
What am I doing wrong?
I've done my belt, two things you will need:
1. https://www.sears.com/craftsman-pro...ellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1#

2. There is a line (Silver in color) that runs along the fender same side as the belt. This is your AC line, it is a 10mm bolt that holds it down on the top side of the inside fender cannot miss it. This makes the line move have enough wiggle that you can use the offset wrench. If you watch this video, at the 0:13 second mark you will see the silver line I am talking about, this video has a blue piece of tape on it. Remove the bolt that secures this, DO NOT put a lot of pressure on this line it is just to give it enough room to move so you can use that wrench properly.

3. If you can get someone to assist you, once you have rotated the tensioner pulley upwards towards the firewall, the reach in and just nudge the belt off.

4. Do this in a well-lit area and if you can put a good light source on that side of the engine

I am assuming you know how the belt is routed? It does help to have someone assist you as you will have the toughest time making the turns near the top of the engine when it passes through the Alternator and Water pump pulleys. Take your time once you have the belt on, you can put a little tension on the Pulley Tensioner with the offset wrench, and make sure that the belt is fully in the grooved pulleys and is also centered on your tensioner pulleys (smooth no grooves). It is a tight fit for your hands but if you can take your time as it will give you some cuts and scrapes. Be sure when you are putting the belt back on and you are ready to push the tensioner to the fully released position that you do, otherwise you will start to think that the belt will not fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kurt, thanks for the reply. I'll grab one of those box wrenches this weekend. I can follow exactly what you're saying, I've seen it in a couple of videos. I'll give it another shot next weekend. The only thing that concerns me is that when I messed with it Saturday, I could have SWORN that bolt was a 14mm - and I'm certain I was on the tensioner. I think I'll see if I can find a similar setup at pick and pull so if I tear anything up, it won't be mine.

Thanks again,
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts