Kia Optima Forums banner

Proximity Electrical Help

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JimmyW 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, looking to get some electrical help. I have a switchback light strip that has high/low power white light with amber turn signal. I don't want high power on during the daytime so I'm trying to set it up to where the high power comes on with proximity, but the turn signal takes over the high power when unlocking/locking. The signal taking over the low power is perfectly fine since those will be on for night time driving. I have the canbus control module installed so the car unlocks/locks on approach/walk away. Is there a way to have the high power proximity keep the turn signals from flashing on lock/unlock? I've read through the forums of people setting up the vent LEDs with proximity which is very helpful, but they aren't the switchbacks. Any help is appreciated!

#2 ·
Any electrical gurus out there willing to take a stab at this?

#3 · (Edited)
As long as the polarity is set up properly, you should be fine.

Switchbacks have a 2-way polarized circuit, apply power one way, one set of LEDs lights, reverse it, and the other set lights up. They need a proper control circuit to be used in that 2-way mode. The simplest way is to use an RTDC module, which takes its power from the main bus, or, in my case straight off the battery, and then uses two sensor wires to determine which way to send power.

I have the sensor wires connected to my running light, and turn signal circuits, respectively. That way, I have the fender vent LED systems completely independent of the internal electrical grid, and can thus avoid tripping the circuit protection on my car, since most Optima's use a fuseless system for running lights and turn signals, and will instead simply cut power to the entire circuit.

Don't cheap out and go with a 3-wire relay based system, as that will cause issues. Go for the 4-wire MOSFET option.

Something like this: RTDC Control Module

#4 ·
So correct me if I'm wrong, according to the exLED drawing my set up would be:

INPUT:
Blk - Ground
Blu - Parking lights
Ylw - turn signal
Red - BCM proximity

OUTPUT to LED:
YLW - turn signal
WHT - both low and high power

And in order it would be: Power source > RTDC module > TPC module > LED? How does it know to use the high power for the proximity fade?

Sorry so late getting back to you. My wife went on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy so after I posted this it went by the wayside. Working on finishing this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.