Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the mail today I can see there is a letter from KIA and it says "Product improvement campaign" on the outside. Unfortunately I am travelling and won't open letter until I get home. Has anyone else received one of these lately, and if so, what was it for? Curiosity is killing me :)

2016 ex premium

Thanks
Woody

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll go here with the first posting of this. I got the letter too and Friday called my service advisor. He explained this was a preemptive measure, rather than the engine will explode. My particular dealer has not experienced any engine issues with 16s on up. Apparently this will somehow warn IF there might be a bearing failure, thus the engine going into limp mode. I thought it interesting that some programing and a sensor can figure this out.

I had the update done yesterday, Saturday. Car seems fine, no difference in how it runs. Took about 45 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I'll go here with the first posting of this. I got the letter too and Friday called my service advisor. He explained this was a preemptive measure, rather than the engine will explode. My particular dealer has not experienced any engine issues with 16s on up. Apparently this will somehow warn IF there might be a bearing failure, thus the engine going into limp mode. I thought it interesting that some programing and a sensor can figure this out.

I had the update done yesterday, Saturday. Car seems fine, no difference in how it runs. Took about 45 minutes.
Keep in mind too that the Optima '16 engines are somewhat different from the '11-15 engines. The SC147 recall affected the '11-'13 engines the most but seems to have been sorted out by the early '14 and '15 model year engines.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
In the mail today I can see there is a letter from KIA and it says "Product improvement campaign" on the outside. Unfortunately I am travelling and won't open letter until I get home. Has anyone else received one of these lately, and if so, what was it for? Curiosity is killing me :)

2016 ex premium

Thanks
Woody
Its a software update for the ECU. Kia is making their knock detection identical across all their models. It in creases sensitivity of the knock sensors and adds a map to the ECU in order for it to hand excessive knock (meaning you have engine issues).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well dropping it off this morning. In the words of the kid advisor we have "it's nothing to worry about." Little assurance coming from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Keep in mind too that the Optima '16 engines are somewhat different from the '11-15 engines. The SC147 recall affected the '11-'13 engines the most but seems to have been sorted out by the early '14 and '15 model year engines.
Don't always want to be a naysayer, but in my opinion, Kia/Hyundai certainly wouldn't spend the money for the knock sensor update unless they feel there's a problem, or a potential problem with these engines as there have been 2015, 2016 & 2017 engine seizures.

I personally don't have a very comfortable feeling with all the DFI engines 2.4/2.0 >2011.

Just a note, none of the 2.4 Hybrid gas engines are recalled and probably the reason, no problems with the port injection engine, just the ill engineered direct injection engines.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't always want to be a naysayer, but in my opinion, Kia/Hyundai certainly wouldn't spend the money for the knock sensor update unless they feel there's a problem, or a potential problem with these engines as there have been 2015, 2016 & 2017 engine seizures.

I personally don't have a very comfortable feeling with all the DFI engines 2.4/2.0 >2011.

Just a note, none of the 2.4 Hybrid gas engines are recalled and probably the reason, no problems with the port injection engine, just the ill engineered direct injection engines.
I'm leaning towards your feeling on this. It's a bit sketchy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
If I were a marketing type for Kia, I think I'd be doing exactly what they're doing. That is, updating the software on all vehicles and extending a lifetime warranty.

I doubt they expect tons of problems with con-rod bearings, but to quell the concern and reassure buyers (and potential buyers), they're stepping up and saying they'll take care of it.

I somehow doubt you'd see something this aggressive from GM or Dodge, etc, and I think it's a really good move.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If I were a marketing type for Kia, I think I'd be doing exactly what they're doing. That is, updating the software on all vehicles and extending a lifetime warranty.

I doubt they expect tons of problems with con-rod bearings, but to quell the concern and reassure buyers (and potential buyers), they're stepping up and saying they'll take care of it.

I somehow doubt you'd see something this aggressive from GM or Dodge, etc, and I think it's a really good move.
Extending the warranty to unlimited could be very costly, and you're really don't know about GM or Dodge, etc, whether they'd be so aggressive because they never had to deal with hundreds of engine failures. Just keep in mind that when the engine seizures were first found, Kia made the owners foot the bill, and stated there was nothing wrong when all the while they knew of the problem and hoped it didn't get worse. It wasn't until heat was placed on Kia did they finally give in with the updates and warranty.
Maybe that's why Optima sales on the way down:
2011 85,000
2012 164,000
2013 156,000
2014 159,000
2015 159,000
2016 124,000
2017 107,000
2018 94,000 with one month remaning

Also Hyundai's with the same year/engines are not afforded the lifetime warranty, go figure.

·
Registered
497 Posts

As I haven't (yet) received the letter (for my '18)--is Kia indeed extending the (engine) warranty to lifetime for those '16-'18 vehicles covered by this new campaign?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is the letter to the Kia dealer Principals:

Kia is conducting a Product Improvement Campaign to perform a software update to the Engine Control Unit (ECU) to protect the engine from excessive connecting rod bearing damage. The affected vehicles include:
• All 2015-2018 MY Sorento vehicles equipped with 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI (T-GDI) engines;
• All 2014-2018 MY Sportage vehicles equipped with 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI (T-GDI) engines;
• Some 2014 MY Optima vehicles equipped with 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engines produced at KMC from August 29, 2013 to April 25, 2014; and
• All 2015-2018 MY Optima vehicles equipped with 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI (T-GDI) engines.
Kia recently developed a Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) that detects vibrations indicating the onset of excessive connecting rod bearing wear. The KSDS is designed to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the occurrence of severe engine damage, including engine failure. If vibrations caused by bearing wear start to occur, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will blink continously, and the vehicle will be placed in Limp Home Mode.
The Technical Service Bulletin that provides vehicle repair procedures, affected VIN production range, and warranty claim information will be posted on the Kia Global Information System (KGIS) at www.kiatechinfo.com and the campaign documents will be posted on kdealer.com in the week of July 23, 2018.
LIFETIME WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR THIS ISSUE. Kia is providing lifetime engine warranty coverage for this issue only (DTC P1326), to both new and used vehicle owners of the affected vehicles identified above, for engine long block assembly repairs needed due to resulting bearing damage upon completion of the Product Improvement Campaign.
What Should You Do
Please make certain the appropriate personnel in your dealership are familiar with the details of this Product Improvement Campaign to ensure proper responses to customer inquiries and requests to have the campaign performed on their vehicles. Kia will notify owners starting on July 26, 2018.
LEGAL PRIVACY LIABILITY NOTICE: Pursuant to the terms of the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley federal consumer privacy act, you are required to keep confidential any and all information and documents provided to you by Kia Motors America, Inc. or generated by you in the conduct of carrying out work under that Agreement regarding Kia vehicle purchasers and owners, including but not limited to warranty claim information. Kia dealers may use such owner information for the sole purpose of conducting and performing this product improvement campaign, and for no other purpose.
Your prompt attention in completing this repair is appreciated. If you have any questions, please contact your Kia District Parts & Service Manager.
Sincerely,
It looks like Kia is sending out letters to the oldest models first and working their way up to the newer models.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update done yesterday, again assured "it's nothing big". I haven't noticed any difference performance wise.

Sat in a new stinger while I was there, of course the loaded one, really liked it and seems to fit me.......... just as I got mine exactly how i like it. Seeing what kind of trade in they will give me......

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hope everyone understands that the lifetime unlimited mileage is only for rod bearing problems, but if the engine elects to die from another problem, they will not cover the replacement.

LIFETIME WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR THIS ISSUE. Kia is providing lifetime engine warranty coverage for this issue only (DTC P1326), to both new and used vehicle owners of the affected vehicles identified above, for engine long block assembly repairs needed due to resulting bearing damage upon completion of the Product Improvement Campaign.

·
Banned
3,284 Posts
Hope everyone understands that the lifetime unlimited mileage is only for rod bearing problems, but if the engine elects to die from another problem, they will not cover the replacement.

That's not what I'm going to tell the next buyer. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just got this letter too. Like others, I'm concerned, since I use this car for trips a lot. My main concerns are these 2: 1. Letter says the more sensitive knock sensor is to, and I quote: 'protect the engine from EXCESSIVE connecting rod bearing damage'. That to me means Kia expects damage to the connecting rods, just not 'excessive'. No engine should have any conn-rod bearing damage. 2. If you get the blinking CEL, engine gets into limp mode (2K rpm/60-mph max), and you're supposed to immediately take car to a dealer, or risk having the warranty denied due to 'abuse' (no mention of how many miles it'd mean abuse). WTF? If this happens while traveling, you're f***ed. This basically renders our car useless. Don't want my wife having to deal with this crap in the middle of nowhere. Having said that, about how many miles do 2016 SXL owners have here? Our car only has 17K miles, so if most other SXLs have much more than that, maybe nothing will happen until later. The way the letter was drafted is not reassuring at all, but want to read some more comments before deciding what to do with the POS :). And I said that because it's burning more oil and using coolant too. Thinking about checking out the new Avalon, which still has a reliable NA V-6 engine, but my wife loves her car. Thanks gang.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
About this Discussion
142 Replies
25 Participants
woodyth
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing