Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
my problem has two parts. my neighbor has a compost pile in his yard and that attracts rats. I have already had nesting rats chew my wiring last year. yesterday I went to drive my 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid and a rat got into the alternator belt and caused the belt to jump off the pulley. I have looked online in my manual but I can not find a belt diagram and it is a tight fit to try and figure out proper belt path.

1) does anyone have a diagram of proper belt positioning for my car?

2) Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep rats from nesting under my hood?

any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
VanTony

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Also try talking to the neighbor, he may not realize he is creating a local health hazard and would feel bad/change his ways before involving the law.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yes, and also consider building a tiny moat filled with water around the car parking areas, with two drawbridges to fit the wheels. Keep some kerosene handy so you can pour it on top of the water and light it, then you cannot be breached by the enemy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hope your not in California, they might arrest you for cruelty to animals..
J/K, hope you are able to get this resolved.Like the above poster stated, it might be time to "rat out" your neighbor..

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's also a new issue coming about with " Environmentally Friendly" vehicle manufacturing. Seems that wiring harnesses are now being wrapped in vegetation derivatives instead of plastics.....UGH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a similar issue with my Ford Transit Connect. I live in a suburb but have seen skunks and raccoons along my street.
Had what you would call a bad Monday. Sunday night some fool clipped my car and broke the drivers side mirror all to pieces.
I got that all cleaned up and when I started it up had a CEL. Off to the shop,where they found a chewed up harness.
Turns out the wrapping they use now is soypaper based. A taste treat for your local neighborhood critter.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I heard that spraying a solution of peppermint oil and water helps deter rodents; obviously you don't want to spray it directly on the harness and/or connectors but other than that it should be safe.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have heard of this happening, but never seen it myself first hand.
You mean rodents or other critters getting into the engine bay? It happened recently with my MB--mice or some other small animal chewed the wiring for my A/C; no I did not actually see the mouse chew it but there was clear evidence that something chewed into it--i.e., the wiring was not cut or frayed.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,160 Posts
You mean rodents or other critters getting into the engine bay? It happened recently with my MB--mice or some other small animal chewed the wiring for my A/C; no I did not actually see the mouse chew it but there was clear evidence that something chewed into it--i.e., the wiring was not cut or frayed.
Yeah, I have never seen any signs of it in person. Might be the area where I live or something. Then again, I did have an issue with my fuel lines leaking on my aftermarket Mustang in multiple places. I wonder if rodents could have chewed through them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That was a huge problem while I was stationed in Germany. It wasn't an issue with rats, but another type of rodent that would chew up wiring and the hood insulation. We installed a device that would emit a sound to repel them away. Once we installed it, we never had an issue again, so might be something worth looking into. It was something similar to this....

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts