Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2013 Kia Optima EX to purchase for my daughter who recently graduated. Its located in Davie Fl and I was looking for a KIA mechanic to complete a PPI. The dealer says it can't let me take the vehicle to a dealership prior to purchase due to liability issues but said I could have my mechanic come to their dealership and perform the inspection in the presence of their mechanic.
Ive purchased my share of used vehicles and I've never had a dealership tell me I could take a vehicle I was interested in purchasing to the dealership of make to have it inspected.

Any suggestions. Advice, or mechanic recommendations in that local area would be greatly appreciated.

• I am in the Atlanta area and would be traveling down to get the vehicle if the inspection checks out.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
I'd first get a CarFax if you haven't or they don't offer one, get the VIN and check with Kia to see service, etc, but as far as an inspection, I'd contact a business that does mobile inspections e.g.

I don't know, or have any affiliation with the company, just an example, but probably others are available.

Just curious, silver?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd first get a CarFax if you haven't or they don't offer one, get the VIN and check with Kia to see service, etc, but as far as an inspection, I'd contact a business that does mobile inspections e.g.

I don't know, or have any affiliation with the company, just an example, but probably others are available.

Just curious, silver?

Thank you not sure why that didnt come up in my Google search. I did view the carfax but it didn't mention much about the services other than the belts and fluids were inspected.

And yes it's Silver how'd you know? A search? Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that one. I didnt get that detailed of a report when I did the carfax.

Why advertise it to the entire group though? Someone may go buy it before I do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And not to discount your help or anything because you've indeed been helpful. Just saying it seems like a great deal to me and may appear that way to someone else as well.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Yes that one. I didnt get that detailed of a report when I did the carfax.

Why advertise it to the entire group though? Someone may go buy it before I do.
Aren't you selling forum members a bit short with that comment? You're assuming that someone here who might be interested in a great deal on a used Optima wouldn't know where to look to find one. Besides, I'd be willing to bet that there have been quite a few folks (if not here in the forum) who have already seen that posting before Turbonut even posted it here in this thread. In any case I sincerely hope that you do eventually find a deal on an Optima (or whatever model)--that is a very nice thing for you to do for your daughter!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aren't you selling forum members a bit short with that comment? You're assuming that someone here who might be interested in a great deal on a used Optima wouldn't know where to look to find one. Besides, I'd be willing to bet that there have been quite a few folks (if not here in the forum) who have already seen that posting before Turbonut even posted it here in this thread. In any case I sincerely hope that you do eventually find a deal on an Optima (or whatever model)--that is a very nice thing for you to do for your daughter!
Wasn't intending to sell anyone short with my comment. I however can't assume one way or the other. It may be a horrible deal to someone else that has intimate knowledge about these vehicles...which I do not...hence why I am here. I have never owned a KiA so this is uncharted territory for me. However, there could be a new person in here trying to decide just as I am, and the Optima they're looking at could pale in comparison on a variety of aspects or it could be far superior than the one I'm looking at. All I was saying is that its possible. Again, i wasnt trying to slight him or anyone else for that matter as he's been the only person before you to respond and he was quite helpful. You have to understand my concern though. I'm not on Florida and I cant just gone drive up to the dealership and put money down to hold it while I do my due diligence. Buying a used car, especially for my teenage daughter is a very calculated process for me. I've bought a Tahoe, a Audi, a Suzki GSXR 1000 all used and with this same research focused and inspection oriented approach to ensure I'm getting a good deal. So far I've made great choices, and with the time and effort I put into this approach it would be very disheartening for me to find a great deal and someone else other wise not even in the market or oblivious to this listing decides to swoop in and secure it for themselves based on seeing here. Not saying they would, but again the possibility is there.
Nonetheless, I appreciate all of you all here as from my reading you all really know your stuff and again the intention wasnt to sell anyone short or offend. I am just one who errs on the side of caution with regards to certain things.

Thanks again and hopefully I will find it pretty soon. I am active duty military and I'm deploying soon, thus my urgency to find a deal before I deploy and she heads off to college in a reliable vehicle. I won't be here to witness it, but at least I'll know she's getting there in a solid vehicle..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
I wouldn't have posted the ad if you didn't ask how I knew the color, but in any event, I removed the ad, but a good solid car may be stretching it as you do know of the potential engine problem?
What you need to do to ensure the extended lifetime warranty on the engine, make certain all recalls as well as updates are completed, and updates aren't available on the NHTSA site. Maybe first oil change have Kia do the job and they will do any update/recalls that are outstanding.

Need anything else, just ask, and I for one, and especially on this day, thank not only you, but all servicemen past and present. Sometimes it gets old, but the bottom line, we're in a better place because of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again my apologies if I came across as unappreciative of your help. And it's my pleasure serving. I do it for the love, the commadrie and the sense of purpose in doing something bigger than myself. 17 years later and I'm still at it.
I'll confirm, but I believe she said theres only like 2k miles left on the powertrain warranty. It looks like the car was serviced regularly by kia on the oil changes. Im going to call a few of the KIA dealers on the Carfax report to see if they'll release any service info or have the dealer attempt to get it. I did see there was an open recall on it. I'll ascertain what that's in reference to tomorrow.

Again...thank you for your insight as it is truly appreciated. You could have scrolled right on past but you didnt and I am grateful.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
As a second owner the warranty drops to 60k miles, so no warranty. When I mentioned CarFax didn't realize that there was one available and that's probably the best you'll get as when the dealership/repair shop does the service, CarFax receives the info.

They aren't bad cars, the engine is subject to seizure, but as I stated before, have Kia do the first oil change and they'll do the outstanding updates and recall(s). The steering coupler is anther weak point and although only some states have a recall, they have opened it up to any car that has the worm coupler, clunking when turning the steering. The A/C compressor is another problem in that it will take at times 5-10 minutes to start cooling and/or no, or reduced cooling at idle, but when driving at normal speed the air is cold. Just the control valve at the rear of the compressor, @ $30 part, but the refrigerant needs to be discharged, part replaced, evacuated, charged 19.3 oz refrigerant.

Chassis rust is another concern, but with the life in Florida, shouldn't be a problem unless by the coast as service was done Pompano and Lighthouse Point. Brakes are another potential problem with the higher mileage, sliders/calipers freeze, but all can be repaired if problems arise.
Good luck

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Everett H.--first off, thank you for your service...much appreciated! Second--my apologies, my reply wasn't intended to denigrate you for how your comment came across; I don't believe anyone here would try to pull a fast one on you by advertising to the whole world something that you're looking into buying. I totally understand your concern about not wanting someone else possibly swooping in on your potential purchase--I'd be concerned about potentially losing out on a great deal if I were in your exact situation too.

Anyways, back on topic--I'll have to defer to folks like Turbonut who have had or currently own previous-generation Optimas as I am the owner of a 4th-gen 2018 Optima, thus I really can't speak too much (yet) as far as its long-term reliability is concerned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts