Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got to thinking, and I wonder:

If you have a K&N intake, with the heat shield, you're basically pulling air from the side of the hood, where it meets the fender, as well as from the gaps around the edges of the shield within the engine compartment...

So, what if you installed a small hood scoop directly over the intake filter?

Would this produce a noticeable effect/benefit, and would the inclusion of an s-duct be necessary to protect the intake from the rain?

Basically, it would look something like this:

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,294 Posts
Is the idea to gain access to cooler air, and possibly have a sort of "ram" effect to increase compression?

My understanding is that, at the point of filter intake, variations in temperature and pressure would have negligible effects. Maybe look at the intercooler?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Havig a scoop for the air intake in that area wouldn't be a good idea as I see no way that water could be kept out of the filter. I believe that the scoop on the Porsche is for the inter-cooler, like below, air flow over the inter-cooler and air intake is in front of the radiator support:

The front mount inter-cooler is better, but make certain the oem ducts are in place so the air flows through the "radiator".
Personally don't like an air intake system that can draw warm/hot air from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the idea to gain access to cooler air, and possibly have a sort of "ram" effect to increase compression?

My understanding is that, at the point of filter intake, variations in temperature and pressure would have negligible effects. Maybe look at the intercooler?
Well, my car is the base model, so no turbo, no intercooler... Still, access to even uncompressed cooler air has to be of some notable benefit, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts