Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Kia Optima. My third window has went out in my Kia. I'm down to one working window with two taped up and the other one has fallen so I can't pull it up. When I tell you I am over Kia I mean it. My motor when out in 2020 and was replaced under warranty. My trunk Latch is broken and is taped up, which their is a recall for this but the Optimas are not covered. I'm a single mother and have never had as many problems with a car as I have had this one for it to be 5 years old. I had to put my car in the shop for it going into limp mode. This was covered due to recall but Kia offered no loaner car so I had to pay 1300 dollars for a rental to get me around for 21 days until they could look at my car due to the number of kia's they were working on. I will never purchase another Kia AGAIN and I Pray I can get into a safer car soon for me and my kids!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
322 Posts
Are you in a hot climate? Seems like the window regulators are prone to fail as other had the same issue. I do hope that Kia addresses this with a bulletin or recall. Unfortunately sounds like you have a lemon, maybe it's time to dump it and get something new. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 Kia Optima. My third window has went out in my Kia. I'm down to one working window with two taped up and the other one has fallen so I can't pull it up. When I tell you I am over Kia I mean it. My motor when out in 2020 and was replaced under warranty. My trunk Latch is broken and is taped up, which their is a recall for this but the Optimas are not covered. I'm a single mother and have never had as many problems with a car as I have had this one for it to be 5 years old. I had to put my car in the shop for it going into limp mode. This was covered due to recall but Kia offered no loaner car so I had to pay 1300 dollars for a rental to get me around for 21 days until they could look at my car due to the number of kia's they were working on. I will never purchase another Kia AGAIN and I Pray I can get into a safer car soon for me and my kids!
KIA SUCKS. They have ripped off thousands of people and gotten away with it. I sold mine for the exact same reason. They want you to keep bringing it in for free repairs which cost you a fortune in time and rentals. KIA can SUCK IT.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like my Chevy truck. Windows, switches ..................................................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe you guys should stop rolling your windows up and down all day everyday, 50 times a day, and letting the kids play with the windows. It’s mechanical. It’ll break. It’s called wear and tear.

You know why your tv in the house lasts so long? Because you plug it up and never touch it again.

I inherited this Kia and the only real issue I have found is the paint is trash, and the AC has some kind of issue not getting cold right away and you need to be driving for it to “kick in”. Other than that it’s pretty solid.

I own several different makes and models. They all have issues but at least Kia stands behind the engine issue. Other brands don’t and I know because I just kicked out $5000 for repairs on another brand.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
Is there a good way to diagnose window issues, determine whether it's a switch or something behind the door panel?

My situation is the rear window, driver's side, doesn't go up or down.

The difficulty is the symptoms changed over time, and at first it seemed to be a simple switch failure, but now it seems like something else. Can a window go bad like described below, or could it be that multiple switches failed and also the window failed? How would I figure out which parts are good or bad?

At first the window worked fine using the rear controls located at that window, and using the master switches at the driver's seat, I could roll up the window but not down.

I thought the problem was just with the master switch at the driver's seat not being able to roll down that rear window. And sure enough, over time, the master switch gradually lost the ability to roll up the window too, while the rear seat at the window worked fine. Then over time, the rear seat couldn't do anything, and now that rear window is just stuck in place, closed, and no switch can make it move. So maybe the problem is not a switch at all, and it's just been a strange failure, or maybe it's both the switches and the window motor being the problem?

Anyway, for windows, how do I figure out what went wrong and what parts are still good, like a general troubleshooting approach?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
322 Posts
Is there a good way to diagnose window issues, determine whether it's a switch or something behind the door panel?

My situation is the rear window, driver's side, doesn't go up or down.

The difficulty is the symptoms changed over time, and at first it seemed to be a simple switch failure, but now it seems like something else. Can a window go bad like described below, or could it be that multiple switches failed and also the window failed? How would I figure out which parts are good or bad?

At first the window worked fine using the rear controls located at that window, and using the master switches at the driver's seat, I could roll up the window but not down.

I thought the problem was just with the master switch at the driver's seat not being able to roll down that rear window. And sure enough, over time, the master switch gradually lost the ability to roll up the window too, while the rear seat at the window worked fine. Then over time, the rear seat couldn't do anything, and now that rear window is just stuck in place, closed, and no switch can make it move. So maybe the problem is not a switch at all, and it's just been a strange failure, or maybe it's both the switches and the window motor being the problem?

Anyway, for windows, how do I figure out what went wrong and what parts are still good, like a general troubleshooting approach?
The issue is the window regulator cable runs over several wheels and they degrade in hot climates. You can easily pull the door panel off, then remove the inner panel to check the cables / wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts