Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ORIGINAL: I have a 2016 Kia Optima with, as of now, roughly 58,000 miles on it and have had it for a little over three years. When the first window (rear passenger) stopped working, it was between Oct. 2019 and Nov. 2019. Luckily, the glass was up, but neither switches would allow it to go up and/or down. The motor did, however, make a noise as if it were trying to go up and/or down. At the time, I didn't have the money to comfortably spare in order to fix said window. I figured I'd save up and get it fixed in a few weeks. Then, as I'm getting enough saved to have the first window fixed, window number two (rear driver) gave out with the same issue. It would make a noise, but nothing. Fast forward to March 2020, COVID is getting big and we're in shut down, then out goes the third window (passenger side). I wasn't so lucky with this one because it was all the way down. Same as the first two, makes noise, just won't go up and/or down. A couple of weeks ago, my final working window called it quits. Has anyone else had the same experience and does it sound like there may be something faulty with wiring? To me it's rather odd that all gave out within less than a year. Should I chance taking it to a Kia dealership and paying out of pocket for all four to be fixed or try to file a complaint with NHTSA? (I know it isn't technically a safety issue, but an issue nonetheless.)

UPDATE: I took my car to my local Kia dealership to see if my car was covered under the 60K mile warranty, per someone's advice on here. (Thank you, by the way.) Seems that all four of my regulators have gone bad. The employee I spoke with verified that my car is covered under warranty still and that he hadn't seen anything happen like that before. After about 30 more minutes a different employee approached me telling me my car was ready to go. As she walked me out to the car she informed me that they've been seeing this issue a lot recently on optimas and sportages. She believes Kia needs to do a recall on the windows because there is definitely something faulty in there. Now, these two employees sit right next to each other in the same space. He told me he's not seen anything like this and she's saying it's been happening a lot lately. Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of this dealership (big fat liars). Didn't leave there on a good note a year ago because of a lie, but at about 45 minutes away it's the closest to me. Just going to get my car fixed and washing my hands of that place. Anyway, thank you to all for your input! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Must say, haven't heard of many PW problems, let alone all four that don't work, but best to get a multi-meter and check voltage in/out of master switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must say, haven't heard of many PW problems, let alone all four that don't work, but best to get a multi-meter and check voltage in/out of master switch.
Trust me, I hadn't heard of this issue either. I owned a 2009 Chevy Malibu before this one with no severe issues. Thank you for your advice! I'll look into that.

·
Registered
2019 Optima SX
8 Posts
The switches in the driver's door could be going bad, had a similar issue in my Subaru where the windows wouldn't work and I thought it was the motors or something. Turns out it was the window switch itself. What I did was find a cheap replacement switch in the junkyard and plugged it in, all my windows started working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The switches in the driver's door could be going bad, had a similar issue in my Subaru where the windows wouldn't work and I thought it was the motors or something. Turns out it was the window switch itself. What I did was find a cheap replacement switch in the junkyard and plugged it in, all my windows started working.
Oh, ok thank you! I'll try that out for sure. Will save me a lot of money if that's the case.

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
13 Posts
I had a similar problem last year. 2014 SX Turbo with around 40k on the clock at the time. Front passenger window rolled down, then wouldn't go back up. I could hear the motor trying to move, but nothing would happen. I went to a local shop and they were able to temporarily get it up by putting blocks of wood under the glass, in between the door panels. The fix was ultimately to get my window regulator replaced. A few hundred bucks, but it has been good ever since. It might even be simple enough to do yourself and save some cash. I think the part alone was only like $150?

I have the in-channel WeatherTech window visors on my car, so I thought that may have been putting stress on the mechanism, but none of my other windows have failed yet, so we will see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a similar problem last year. 2014 SX Turbo with around 40k on the clock at the time. Front passenger window rolled down, then wouldn't go back up. I could hear the motor trying to move, but nothing would happen. I went to a local shop and they were able to temporarily get it up by putting blocks of wood under the glass, in between the door panels. The fix was ultimately to get my window regulator replaced. A few hundred bucks, but it has been good ever since. It might even be simple enough to do yourself and save some cash. I think the part alone was only like $150?

I have the in-channel WeatherTech window visors on my car, so I thought that may have been putting stress on the mechanism, but none of my other windows have failed yet, so we will see.
When my passenger window was all the way down, my dad and I had to take the door panel off in order to pull the window back up. A part that was at the bottom of the door was broken and we think it may have been the regulator. I called a local shop to see how much it would be to fix and the guy said he has never seen a whole plastic peice inside a door panel like that before. He said the parts usually come separate, not all together like that. And again I don't know anything about cars. That's just what he said.

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
13 Posts
As far as I am aware, the part is what is linked below. It is a weird piece, and although I have not done it before myself, I am under the impression it would not be too difficult to replace by yourself if you had the procedures. I have a friend that works on cars at a used car lot and he said these usually aren't hard to do, so if this ever happens again, I may try to skip the shop.

2014-2015 Kia Optima Window Regulator 82481-4C500 Kia Parts Store Kia Wholesale Parts Phoenix Dallas San Francisco Los Angeles Bay Area | Kia Parts Store

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I am aware, the part is what is linked below. It is a weird piece, and although I have not done it before myself, I am under the impression it would not be too difficult to replace by yourself if you had the procedures. I have a friend that works on cars at a used car lot and he said these usually aren't hard to do, so if this ever happens again, I may try to skip the shop.

2014-2015 Kia Optima Window Regulator 82481-4C500 Kia Parts Store Kia Wholesale Parts Phoenix Dallas San Francisco Los Angeles Bay Area | Kia Parts Store
Thank you for the link and I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Just keep in mind all four windows are inoperable, so I don't think four regulators went at various times.

·
Registered
2014 Kia SX Turbo
13 Posts
Yes, I agree. That would be weird. I was just sharing my experience in case it was helpful, but you should definitely narrow down the issue before you start buying a bunch of parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I agree. That would be weird. I was just sharing my experience in case it was helpful, but you should definitely narrow down the issue before you start buying a bunch of parts.
Thank you, hearing about another experience helps me out a lot. Definitely gives me different ideas on what could be going on with the windows.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Chiming in to say that in my case, the master switch at the driver's seat is partially failing, where I can still activate 3 of 4 windows. I can't activate the rear passenger to move it down, but I can move it up. But that passenger can still activate the window normally, up and down.

Over the years this issue has come up before, and usually it's a switch that's bad.

Sounds like your issue is not just a switch. I'm very curious how the window can make noise like it's trying to move, but doesn't move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chiming in to say that in my case, the master switch at the driver's seat is partially failing, where I can still activate 3 of 4 windows. I can't activate the rear passenger to move it down, but I can move it up. But that passenger can still activate the window normally, up and down.

Over the years this issue has come up before, and usually it's a switch that's bad.

Sounds like your issue is not just a switch. I'm very curious how the window can make noise like it's trying to move, but doesn't move.
I'm thinking that the motors may be working fine on all the windows (hence the noise?). I know the front passenger has a broken regulator (only because I took the door panel off), but not sure what's going on with the others.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
88 Posts
Shouldn't this kind of thing be covered by the warranty on a 2016? 5 yrs / 60K miles, right? Or is this excluded in some fine print?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts