Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure almost everyone on here wishes that Kia made at least one of the 2 power outlets in the Optima hot all the time. I've created a very simple (and safe!) way to change one of your outlets to Battery + power.

In a nutshell, this mod will take B+ voltage from the Sunroof fuse circuit and route it to the load side of the Power Outlet fuse circuit. I have done all of my research using information proivided on KGIS wiring schematics. Nothing is done permanently and can be reversed in a matter of seconds.

Things you will need:
Terminologies:
  • Feed side of a fuse - The contacts that are the source of power to the component connected.
  • Load side of a fuse - The contacts that supply power to the component. The load side is protected by the fuse.
The following instructions will apply to non-Panoroof Optimas, but I will give suggestions for Panoroof applications.

Step One: Remove the 20A Sunroof fuse from the interior fuse panel. Use your multimeter to determine the Battery feed side contacts and the load side contacts. Insert a 15A Pigtail Fuse into the Sunroof fuse location so that the pigtail wire is on the LOAD side of the fuse contacts. It's important to wire it this way so that the pigtail wire that will now supply the Power Outlet is protected by the fuse. An Add-a-fuse would work here as well.

Step Two: Remove the 15A Power Outlet fuse from the interior fuse panel. Insert the ATM Fuse Socket Connector into the Power Outlet fuse location. Use your multi-meter to determine feed side and load side of the fuse contacts. It's very important that this component be the same as what I used or similar. This component cannot have continuity between the fuse blades or you will backfeed Battery + voltage to other IGN + components!

Step Three: Crimp an insulated .250 female quick slide connector to the end of the wire from the pigtail fuse used in Step 1. Then connect it to the LOAD side of the ATM Fuse Socket Connector. It is VERY important to make this connection on the correct side of the fuse. If it's on the wrong side, you will be backfeeding B+ voltage to other circuits that are IGN+ powered and your car will not like that!

If you have a Panoroof, you can still use the same Sunroof fuse circuit to power the outlet, but you would need to use a Low-Profile ATM Add-a-fuse instead of the pigtail fuse so that both the Sunroof AND the Power Outlet are individually protected. This is not needed in the non-Panoroof method because since the Sunroof is not present, the Power Outlet is protected by the fuse of the ATM Pigtail Fuse (if you positioned the Pigtail fuse properly).

Now don't go crazy and start using Power Inverters and Blenders off of the re-wired Power Outlet. My intentions for this mod were to merely give battery power for the purpose of charging phones or other low current electronic devices.

Notes: I realize that our cars use Low-Profile ATM fuses and that the components I used were for normal ATM fuses. I have had no trouble at all with these methods with the contacts being "stretched out" or hard to push in. The thickness of the fuse blade is the same in both Low-Profile ATM fuses and regular ATM fuses. Your mileage may vary, use the components you feel comfortable with.

The Fuse Socket Connector that I used in this mod is part of a 3 piece set and is one of the handiest tools I've used for very little money. They are perfect for measuring current draw, checking for electrical shorts (i.e. determining if a short is happening before or after a fuse), and more. The fuse blades of this component are NOT connected to one another. It provides an easy way to get separate access to the feed and load side of a fuse circuit.

2012-03-14 15_51_53_resize by yerf.dogg, on Flickr

2012-03-14 15_52_21_resize by yerf.dogg, on Flickr

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Nice write up! My verizon car charger is a tight squeeze plugging it in an out, so I always just leave it plugged in! This would be a sure way to kill my battery if I were to do this mod! Lol!

Thanks for writing up how to do this mod. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that's a lot of work! My verizon wireless car charger is a tight squeeze plugging in n out so I always just leave it plugged in! This should be a sure way to kill my battery if I were to do this mod! Lol! But nice write up!
It's hardly any work at all. And it would take days for a normal phone charger to draw down a battery to the point it wouldn't start. Unless this is you:

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Well done, researched and explained! Thanks very much.

Being something of a tool junkie, I'll have to get one of those Fuse Socket Connectors, even if I don't do the mod.

·
Banned
3,283 Posts
I bought a combination led flashlight/radio/charger that uses solar power and/or crank, comes with cables and different phone/dc attachments- all in all $20 from international geniuses. I can leave this thing on the dash or rear window, while there's daylight. Only 5 volt current though.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done, researched and explained! Thanks very much.

Being something of a tool junkie, I'll have to get one of those Fuse Socket Connectors, even if I don't do the mod.
I get them from my Snap-On guy for $15ish. I orderd another set today since I robbed one of the pieces for this mod. :smile:

·
Registered
64 Posts
This would be cool to do because then I could charge my phone while the car is off...but then I'd have to remember to pull the car charger out when I'm done!

·
Registered
2012 Optima
285 Posts
If your phone is not connected to the charger it will not pull power from the battery. Unless your charger has a green or red LED. If it does then it will still take weeks if not months to kill a battery

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
21 Posts
I would like to do this to my LX but i dont have a sunroof. Any suggestions to which fuse i can connect it to??

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ Read the directions. Even though we don't have a sunroof, the fuse is still present. Use the sunroof fuse.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
21 Posts
Alright thanks, i guess i skipped that part on the breakdown. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ Please share your tweaked version. I wouldn't mind at all if you posted it in this thread. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts