Kia Optima Forums banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
17 Posts
What kills me is that my '15 LX has the "silver" switch trim which means I'd have to change all of them to match plus the shifter trim. :(

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,222 Posts
What kills me is that my '15 LX has the "silver" switch trim which means I'd have to change all of them to match plus the shifter trim. :(
The Power Folding Mirror Conversion Kit we sell includes the switch, and the door trim, we can order you the passenger door trim as well as the shifter trim to match. Just shoot us an email and we can get you taken care of.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Hybird
10 Posts
I just installed my power folding mirrors. The new mirrors had the new 14 pin plug (extra pin slots are for blind spot indicator) and car had 8 pin plug. The plastic cover that covers were the plug is is removable just push connector back as you pull plastic cover off and it will come right off. I cut the 14 pin connector off and cut the 8 pin of my old set of mirrors and spliced 6 wires from mirror to old 8 pin plug.

Wires from both plugs are the same color just spliced the same color wires together (6 of them) except the red (fold) and green (unfold) wires. Cut a small hole in the plastic cover to the right side of plug to allow you to run the fold and unfold wires from mirror to new mirror switch. I had 3 extra wires to run as I installed ExLED 2 way signal repeater at the same time.

Mine also had the Korean wording on the mirrors. Easiest way is to tilt mirror all the way down and get fingers behind top and pull in a circle motion around it. It comes off fairly easy. Be careful the heated mirror wires are behind and need to be unplugged.

If you are adding the K5OptimaStore Auto Folding Module the blue connects to white and green connects to grey wire in the harness that comes thru the door from the door lock. There are 2 grey wires in that harness but one is grey striped that is not the one. You want the solid grey wire.

I will see if I can get some pictures up and do a little write up on the ExLED 2 way side repeater which wires you need to tap in the headlight harness.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
I will see if I can get some pictures up and do a little write up on the ExLED 2 way side repeater which wires you need to tap in the headlight harness.
This would be cool to see. A lot of folks Im sure wondering about this too.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Hybird
10 Posts
If you are upgrading to power folding mirrors before you install them you should purchase the exLED Kia Optima K5 ('10~) Side repeater Upgrade Module and do the install and wiring of mirror prior to install to make life easy. If you are not a DIYourselfer than buy the version that has the LED's already installed in new OEM housing.

I purchased just the module and cut the oem housing open with a soldering iron with a spade tip in it worked quite well just take your time. install the module and use the soldiering iron to melt the plastic back to seal up housing also use some silicone to seal up where the wires come out the back as the factory seal will not work so you dont get moisture in it.

If you look under the mirror were the mirror folds there is a little cover pop it off with a small tip screwdriver or whatever you prefer. you will have access to were the wires coming from inside the mirror thru to the connector. use something solid to push up threw hole from bottom to top so you can tape the wires from module on it and pull them thru to the bottom. Now you can extended the 3 wires. I purchased 20GW white, yellow and black to match what EXLED used. Pull the plastic cover off that covers the connector. Again feed the wires thru were the connector is. cut a small hole (big enough for 3 wires to go thru) in the plastic cover to the right of connector on left mirror and to the left of the right mirror.

Black wire = Ground
Yellow wire = signal
White wire = running light

Now you can either connect the black ground wire from signal to any of the grounds in the door or run it with the white and yellow wires up to the headlight connector. make a small hole in each gourmet in door to get the wires thru and feed it thru along the top of the fender. I pushed a long rod thru fender from down by headlight up to by hood hinge.

Use T-taps and tap into the front headlight plug.

Black ground to pin 5
White running light to pin 3
Yellow signal light to pin 4

if you need diagram refer to Vent switchback LED mod threadin the DYI. I dont have enough post yet to post links.

I did not use the factory turn signal wire in the mirror for the signal since I have fender vent 2 way LEDs and I tied mine into those wires.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia K5
4,166 Posts
If you are upgrading to power folding mirrors before you install them you should purchase the exLED Kia Optima K5 ('10~) Side repeater Upgrade Module and do the install and wiring of mirror prior to install to make life easy. If you are not a DIYourselfer than buy the version that has the LED's already installed in new OEM housing.

I purchased just the module and cut the oem housing open with a soldering iron with a spade tip in it worked quite well just take your time. install the module and use the soldiering iron to melt the plastic back to seal up housing also use some silicone to seal up where the wires come out the back as the factory seal will not work so you dont get moisture in it.

If you look under the mirror were the mirror folds there is a little cover pop it off with a small tip screwdriver or whatever you prefer. you will have access to were the wires coming from inside the mirror thru to the connector. use something solid to push up threw hole from bottom to top so you can tape the wires from module on it and pull them thru to the bottom. Now you can extended the 3 wires. I purchased 20GW white, yellow and black to match what EXLED used.

Pull the plastic cover off that covers the connector. Again feed the wires thru were the connector is. cut a small hole (big enough for 3 wires to go thru) in the plastic cover to the right of connector on left mirror and to the left of the right mirror.

Black wire = Ground
Yellow wire = signal
White wire = running light

Now you can either connect the black ground wire from signal to any of the grounds in the door or run it with the white and yellow wires up to the headlight connector. make a small hole in each gourmet in door to get the wires thru and feed it thru along the top of the fender. I pushed a long rod thru fender from down by headlight up to by hood hinge.

Use T-taps and tap into the front headlight plug.

Black ground to pin 5
White running light to pin 3
Yellow signal light to pin 4

if you need diagram refer to Vent switchback LED mod threadin the DYI. I dont have enough post yet to post links.

I will post a few pics of final product and some wiring once i have enough post.

I did not use the factory turn signal wire in the mirror for the signal since I have fender vent 2 way LEDs and I tied mine into those wires.
Rather than running the white wire through the door plug to the headlights (the long and hard way) there is a blue wire in the door harness which is power to the parking lights splice into that.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
135 Posts
Does anyone know if I get a set of power folding mirrors and the window switch face piece if im able to just buy the module from K5OS and can make this work. My father works at a junk yard so I can get everything fairly cheap

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,222 Posts
Does anyone know if I get a set of power folding mirrors and the window switch face piece if im able to just buy the module from K5OS and can make this work. My father works at a junk yard so I can get everything fairly cheap
Yep exactly, as long as you buy the power folding mirrors and do the conversion, the module that we sell will allow you to fold the mirrors in automatically when you lock or unlock the doors.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts