Kia Optima Forums banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently received my mirror conversion kit from k5 (thanks Dave) and first of all was very impressed with this kit for the price. I initially was not going to install the auto module since I never touch my key except to hang it from my belt, but when I saw that it folds and unfolds the mirrors when using the car handle button that sold me. The first thing I did was to take out the led repeaters and cut them open with a ( 1)amp dremel type saw and install the 2-way leds from exled(thanks Jin). Before closing up the reflectors (lenses) I tested both amber and white leds with a 12v.voltage regulator and all was well. One thing I must mention is that the led module from exled was apparently made for a smaller reflector as the wires were a few inches too short to allow the leds to extend to the proper locations at either end of the reflector so I had to splice and solder in new wires. For those who do not want to have to deal with cutting open their lenses I would pay the extra money and purchase the lenses that have the 2 way leds installed already. The repeaters come out of the mirror housing very easily so it is a piece of cake to swap the new repeaters if you go that route. One other note,I think my biggest concern was how to remove the mirror(glass) without breaking it or the clips that hold it on, but that turned out to be one of the easiest parts so far. I tilted the mirror in at the top so the bottom is tilted outward and slipped my fingers into the space underneath the glass(mirror) and began to pull upward and outward at the same time and the clips behind the mirror promptly let go. Looking forward now to getting the mirrors installed. And also,thanks to Goober2432 for all the good info concerning installing the mirror kit..

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
ok i'm still a bit confused on the power wire... so my understanding is that you run power to the driver side from the new power folding mirror switch that's on the door panel. and this switch gets powered by me adding a add a fuse and running a cable to the same switch?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
New power line to the switch, and a new power line from the driver's mirror to the passenger mirror.
so add a fuse to switch, switch to driver side, driver side to passenger right?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
so add a fuse to switch, switch to driver side, driver side to passenger right?
If I remember correctly:
Power wire from switch to a Bat + constant in the fuse box (I used the fuse for the seats). Piggy back off that wire to go to the passenger side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those who want to tap into the fusebox under the hood,I used the horn fuse spot and put in a fuse tap with a 10 amp fuse and ran the line straight to the new switch.Now, two wires need to be run between the two mirrors that get pushed into the proper pinholes (mirror plug to mirror plug) as shown on page 1 of this thread. These are the fold and unfold wires. The signal(power) to fold and unfold is sent into those two wires by tapping(splicing) into each of them on the driver side only, and running a line from each of those wires to the correct pinholes on the switch. So the three open pinholes on the switch will be receiving the line from your power source and the other two pinholes will receive the two wires that you added(spliced) into your two fold and unfold wires. Hope this helps. For anyone who is still confused, try this;After running your power line directly to the switch,next run your two lines from mirror to mirror and plug them into the correct pinholes.Now, ask yourself, how is the power going to get from the switch to the mirrors? Then you will see the need to splice into the two wires as I have stated and of course run those two lines into the switch.Hope this helps..

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
ok i got it now, somehow i missed the section about requiring add a fuse when i first started reading this....
also any tips on getting the switch panel off the door panel?
and anybody know if there's a constant power line near the door i can tap into instead of using a add a fuse?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
hmm for those of you guys that added the tap a fuse into the 20 or 30amp spot, what add a fuse did you guys use? i bought a bussmandd a fus and it's only rated for 10amp so i'm not sure if this will work in 20 and 30amp fuses spots?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
I used it with a 20 on one leg and 10 to the mirrors.
sweet i guess i'll do that tomorrow! thanks

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

ok guys i'm almost done... but i'm a bit lost on the gray and white wire. in the plug, i see two gray wires, one seems to be 16gauge and the other is much thinner. which one do i tap into? and for the white wire, is this from the same plug?

it's kind of hard to see but the one on the left is the thick gauge (1) and the one on the most right is the thin gray gauge (2).
the white one i'm referring to is the (3). they all go into the power window switch connector

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I just shoved wires into the back of the connector... There are 4 empty slots on the connector. Skip the outer most one and use the three on the inside. One is for fold, one is for unfold and another for power. I forgot which is which there's a diagram around here somewhere

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
no.... i'm having problems with the module install. I don't know which gray wire and white wire i'm supposed to splice into for the module install

also, i couldn't figure out why mine works but i had to tap into a 15amp fuse to get it to work and no the 30amp fuse

121 - 140 of 173 Posts