Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Can the power folding mirrors be folded manually too? Also I'm trying to take the mirror out but I'm afraid I might crack the glass or damage the housing. Anyone done this can give me insight? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Stupid question maybe but how did you secure the wire inside the plug? Is there a way to buy the small prong deal that goes inside the plug?
I just bared a small bit of the wire and poked it into the appropriate pin then used a small strong zip tie to hold it to the adjacent wire. No issues

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
i'm thinking of doing this mod, but i'm not sure yet... but anyway how do u remove the plastic cover?? i can't find one in the same color as mine, so i'm just going to swap the plastic cover. Any pointers on the swap?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i'm thinking of doing this mod, but i'm not sure yet... but anyway how do u remove the plastic cover?? i can't find one in the same color as mine, so i'm just going to swap the plastic cover. Any pointers on the swap?
To what plastic cover are you referring to?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Can the power folding mirrors be folded manually too? Also I'm trying to take the mirror out but I'm afraid I might crack the glass or damage the housing. Anyone done this can give me insight? Thanks!

Yep. Just grab the corner of the glass and aapply steady pressure and it will pop out. And no. The mirrors shouldn't be folded manually. It will damage the gears.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
To what plastic cover are you referring to?
He's talking about the housing cover. The one that matches the car color

Yep. Just grab the corner of the glass and aapply steady pressure and it will pop out. And no. The mirrors shouldn't be folded manually. It will damage the gears.
Thanks! That gave me the push I needed to snap the glass out :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
To remove the outer plastic cover get a PLASTIC trim tool or a flat plastic putty knife and gently work your away around the outside of the cover. Pops off.

·
Registered
329 Posts
will not grounding the wires going from mirror to mirror cause them to go up and down randomly? or would that be because i tapped into the power seat 30A fuse...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
will not grounding the wires going from mirror to mirror cause them to go up and down randomly? or would that be because i tapped into the power seat 30A fuse...
Shouldn't have anything to do with it. Only 2 wires go mirror to mirror. Fold and unfold. Did you install the auto fold module?

·
Registered
329 Posts
yeah. i could get the mirrors to work normally with the door switch but the mirrors would not work with the smart key. i would close the car door and lock it and the mirors would randomly go up and down with the car being off. not sure whats going on.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,772 Posts
There is NO extra ground wires needed or added. Sounds like a faulty mirror module. Get with David (k5 optima store). Unplug the module and see if everything is normal.
I doubt it's a faulty module. Sounds like it could be a wiring issue with the installation of the power folding mirrors.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
yeah. i could get the mirrors to work normally with the door switch but the mirrors would not work with the smart key. i would close the car door and lock it and the mirors would randomly go up and down with the car being off. not sure whats going on.
Remington... are these factory folding mirrors that came with the car or did you add them later? There is not much that can go wrong wiring this auto fold module, simple 2 wire install.

Double check the wiring... white to blue wire and grey to green wire. If all that is good remove the module and test the mirrors with the button on the switch panel. If it folds/unfolds as normal then it is going to be the auto fold module.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,772 Posts
Remington... are these factory folding mirrors that came with the car or did you add them later? There is not much that can go wrong wiring this auto fold module, simple 2 wire install.

Double check the wiring... white to blue wire and grey to green wire. If all that is good remove the module and test the mirrors with the button on the switch panel. If it folds/unfolds as normal then it is going to be the auto fold module.
This exactly. I saw you mentioned that the mirrors don't fold by the outer door switch or the key fob & only by the button on the door panel. This would definitely not be caused by the module. I would double check all of the wiring with the power folding mirror conversion first. If it does turn out to be the module I sold you, I will be happy to replace it at no charge for you.

21 - 40 of 173 Posts