Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, let me start off by saying that this is a fairly easy mod that doesnt require any special skills. I am going to assume that you know how to take the door panel off. If you don't, check out http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/14-classified-forum/8949-automatic-power-folding-mirrors-module-11.html . Watch the first video of post 104. (Thank you sickbmw)

Step 1: Remove the door panel.
Step 2: Remove the old mirrors by unplugging the wire and removing the 3 retaining nuts. 10mm
Mirror Mounting.gif
Step 3: Remove old facia trim around the window switches and mirror switches. You will need to remove the window switch and the mirror switch to be able to get at all the screws. This part is a little tricky and required some careful twisting and pulling to remove the facia. Take your time and make sure you get ALL the screws, there are quite a few. Facia comes out from the inside, NOT to the outside. Make your life easier and have a short, magnetic philips screwdriver on hand!
switch cover.jpg
Step 4: Install your new mirrors using the reverse of removal procedure.
Step 5: Wiring: You will need some 14-16 gauge wire, a ATM fuse tap with 10-15 amp fuse, and some serious patience.
Mirror Wiring: If you look at your OEM mirror plug, you will notice that it is missing 2 wires. These are simply the "Fold" and "Unfold" wires. You need to run 2 wires from the Drivers side mirror to the corresponding empty pins on the passenger side. ONLY 2 wires will need to go from DR to PASS mirror! The mirror switch plug is missing 3 wires. The "Fold", "Unfold", and "Power" wire (B+). Connect the Driver side Fold and Unfold wires to corresponding empty pins on the switch plug. Run a constant power wire using the fuse tap (I used the power seat fuse) into the door from the Interior Fuse Panel (SJB). Connect the the B+ (Power) pin in the mirror switch.
mirror wire.gif
Pins 3 and 4 are your targets!
On passenger side, the plug is upside down so 3 and 4 or located on bottom left.

mirror power.gif
Pin 3 is FOLD
Pin 4 is UNFOLD

mirror.gif

Pin 1 is UNFOLD
Pin 2 is FOLD
Pin 3 is Battery (Power B+)
Make sure you are filling a spot that actually has a contact and not just an empty hole.

To get the wires from driver to passenger, I ran wires through the soft door plug, in between the fender taking care to avoid the hinges, under the hood to passenger side, and entered that door the same. To run the power wire I took it the same route, but came back through the firewall using the soft seal by the brake pedal. (On reflection while typing this, I realized I could have tapped power in the outside fuse box, thus saving my self some agrivation)

Things to be aware of. I ordered my mirrors from ebay vendor in korea. The mirrors came with painted covers and were in perfect shape. Delivery time was 3 weeks w/paint time included. These are MOBIS OEM mirrors. Mirrors are KOREAN SPEC mirrors. What this means? The lettering on the glass (Objects in mirror are closer then they appear) is in korean. This didn't really bother me because it is hardly noticeable. They also appear to be setup for a RIGHT HAND drive car. This means the left mirror has the lens set up where everything is closer. It kinda bugs me, and I will be exploring the option of removing the glass from my old mirrors and replacing.

I highly recommend the mirror module from SICKBMW. It is very easy to install, and well worth it. Might as well do it all at once!!!

Any questions, feel free to post or PM.

VIDS:
Unboxing:

Mirrors in Action:

DIY Supplemental Video:

Enjoy! :cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nice write up! I've been waiting for this. All I need now is to find a link for the door cover in carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Thank you very much for this write up Goober, and even with this I still have no clue how to install but to get a professional to install it for me if I decided to get this conversion. Hey one question Goober, obviously this kit comes with a button where u press it to powerfold right above the window buttons but if my 2011 don't have it on the panel, where does that go? Or could u please take a picture where that button is located unless its the same location as the 2012 and 2013 where I've seen it in the car. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thank you very much for this write up Goober, and even with this I still have no clue how to install but to get a professional to install it for me if I decided to get this conversion. Hey one question Goober, obviously this kit comes with a button where u press it to powerfold right above the window buttons but if my 2011 don't have it on the panel, where does that go? Or could u please take a picture where that button is located unless its the same location as the 2012 and 2013 where I've seen it in the car. Thanks in advance.
If you look at your driver door there is a piece that surrounds the window switch, door lock switch, etc. you would remove this piece and install a new one with the mirror switch hole.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could you also post a part list used for this install?
Sure, you will need: Power Folding Mirrors, Switch, Door Surround, (2) 20ft rolls of 14-16g wire, some wire scotch locks (if you prefer), 1 fuse tap (mini), Philips screwdriver, and a 10mm/8mm ratchet. Some cable ties for clean wiring. Extra sets of hands is helpful, but not required.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Awesome mod.. where can i get the mirrors? Id be up for trying this out myself.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
1 - 20 of 173 Posts