Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forums here and trying to get some insight into what my issue might be with my 2015 Optima. I did search for a few minutes here on the website before posting but I couldn't find anything that seemed relevant to my situation, so I apologize if this is something that has been addressed elsewhere.

Within the last few months I've started to have a problem where I would get ready to leave my house or work, and the car wouldn't start. Sometimes I would have dash lights, the blower would work, radio would turn on, etc., but the car would not turn on (at most I'd get clicks). Other times everything would be dead and turning the key would do literally nothing, not even a click. What was really weird was that sometimes I would go out and try to start it a couple days after one of these incidents and it would start right up like nothing was ever wrong. I assumed this was a possible battery issue, so I replaced that since it was the cheapest thing I could think of.

Everything seemed fine, but a short while later (a week or so), the problem started happening again. So now I was thinking that maybe it was a solenoid or the starter, and I had that replaced. Again I thought the problem was solved, but nope! Same issue with it not starting, sometimes with dash lights/other electrical things working, sometimes not. But still wouldn't start. I also had a few occasions where I'd hit a bump and the radio/dash lights would flicker.

I've been kind of dealing with this for a month or so, first because I don't really have all the money in the world to drop on the same problem, and second because I noticed that if I slammed the door (sometimes once, sometimes a few times), I could eventually start the car. But this came to a head a few days ago when I was driving down the highway at 75mph, hit a bump, and suddenly the car was just off. No dash lights, no radio, no lights, no engine. I pulled over to the side of the road and slammed the door several times. The first couple slams brought the lights/radio back, and then a few more got the car started again.

I did some googling and I haven't seen anything Kia-related but have seen a few other car owners submitting the same problem and folks talking about a grounded wire/battery cable being loose or corroded, but I want to have as good an idea as I can have before I take it back to the shop, so I thought I'd get some feedback here. I did check the terminals on the battery and the cables as far as I can see them to see if they were loose or if there was any corrosion on the terminals and there's nothing wrong that I can see. I am not a car guy, however, so I can't really check further.

Sorry to be longwinded but I wanted to share as much detail as possible. I appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Yes does sound as if something is loose. Possibly one of the main fuses under hood - so many places to check continuity. If I were you, unless this is under warranty, I'd take it to my favorite mechanic and have them look it over after you tell them the symptoms. A good mechanic will find the loose component. It is dangerous so in my opinion warrants an expert to take it further. Luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Could be a loose ground or the voltage regulator on the negative battery cable is bad. Electrical gremlins suck, better to take it to a qualified shop to properly diagnose it rather than shooting the parts cannon at it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Could be a loose ground or the voltage regulator on the negative battery cable is bad. Electrical gremlins suck, better to take it to a qualified shop to properly diagnose it rather than shooting the parts cannon at it.
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like maybe a loose ground from the battery to the frame.

·
Registered
2011 Optima
73 Posts
aren't the regulators on the inside of the alternators, not on the neg battery cable?

·
Registered
2011 Optima
73 Posts
Try turning on the car, then go under the hood and try moving around any wires. Have someone in the car to see if the lights flicker. Preferably at nighttime. Also , do the same if you can reach under the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts