Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Every now and then while driving, the AC will get partially warm for maybe a second or so before getting cold again.

Now that the warranty has expired, it’s $130 for diagnostic - and they can never find an issue.

What has always amazed me with the AC is how FAST the AC gets ice cold - even after sitting in direct sunlight when the weather is typically 115-118 in the peak of the summer...never had a car where the AC got so cold so fast. Just wish it would always STAY cold...

Airflow is never an issue - just the temperature of the air coming out of the vents...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Normally, with these cars, when an A/C problem arises, I always seem to condemn the electronic control valve at the back of the compressor as it has a propensity to fail. Your particular problem isn't the norm, at least from what I've experienced, but the only reason the cold air would cease for a moment would be directly related to the valve controlling the compressor output. Nothing more aggravating to the owner and the person working on the vehicle, trying to track down a sporadic problem.
Sorry to say, only advice is to just keep driving until it worsens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Turbo. The amount of warranty work that was done on this car is alarming.

The electronic control valve you speak of...is this easily accessible? Would it be easy to observe the problem?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Thanks Turbo. The amount of warranty work that was done on this car is alarming.

The electronic control valve you speak of...is this easily accessible? Would it be easy to observe the problem?
The control valve is at the rear side of the compressor and you'll see a harness pushed in from the side.
As far as testing, here's some reading, but far beyond the capabilities of the Kia service dept:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normally, with these cars, when an A/C problem arises, I always seem to condemn the electronic control valve at the back of the compressor as it has a propensity to fail. Your particular problem isn't the norm, at least from what I've experienced, but the only reason the cold air would cease for a moment would be directly related to the valve controlling the compressor output. Nothing more aggravating to the owner and the person working on the vehicle, trying to track down a sporadic problem.
Sorry to say, only advice is to just keep driving until it worsens.
The control valve is at the rear side of the compressor and you'll see a harness pushed in from the side.
As far as testing, here's some reading, but far beyond the capabilities of the Kia service dept:
Thank you!!!! I don’t know if Kia techs are this stupid, or if Kia just has their hands tied...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Thank you!!!! I don’t know if Kia techs are this stupid, or if Kia just has their hands tied...
Hate to say this, but in my experience, they leave a lot to be desired, at least the stealerships I've dealt with.
I've said this before, out of the 4 stealerships I've used, very sporadically, updates, recalls, engine replacement, 3 are the worst I've ever encountered and
the one I considered top notch, closed. Guess they were too honest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hate to say this, but in my experience, they leave a lot to be desired, at least the stealerships I've dealt with.
I've said this before, out of the 4 stealerships I've used, very sporadically, updates, recalls, engine replacement, 3 are the worst I've ever encountered and
the one I considered top notch, closed. Guess they were too honest.
Agreed. Same experiences in Indiana and Arizona...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts