Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called Kia twice and got a claim number but they are saying their engineers have determined oil consumption has nothing to do with the bearing recall!!! Righhhht....i have seen some get their engines replaced for high oil consumption. This is obviously a precursor to the bearing giving out. Have oil consumption test scheduled for this week at dealer. Should i keep appt.? Or are they going to "FIND" a different reason like rings for the oil burn and deny me a new engine when it finally does kick the bucket? Confused. Need advice.. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
The writing is on the wall as they now seem to think that because of the crappy engine, high oil consumption is no longer covered unless the engine seizes. If somebody comes along with deep pockets, looks like we'll need another class action suite for oil consumption.

As I stated before, '11 2.0 turbo ran great, no problems other than starting to use oil @110,000 miles then progressed to a qt p/350 miles at 172,000 miles, but engine performed flawlessly, so they replaced the engine 12/2019.

If all updates have been done, I'd personally just drive the car until the engine goes or the KSDS sets a code, maybe never though, and you'll be dumping qts of oil in between changes.

Good luck and hopefully the engine will bite the dust one way or another.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The writing is on the wall as they now seem to think that because of the crappy engine, high oil consumption is no longer covered unless the engine seizes. If somebody comes along with deep pockets, looks like we'll need another class action suite for oil consumption.

As I stated before, '11 2.0 turbo ran great, no problems other than starting to use oil @110,000 miles then progressed to a qt p/350 miles at 172,000 miles, but engine performed flawlessly, so they replaced the engine 12/2019.

If all updates have been done, I'd personally just drive the car until the engine goes or the KSDS sets a code, maybe never though, and you'll be dumping qts of oil in between changes.

Should i keep my oil consumption appt. Just to have it on record?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Should i keep my oil consumption appt. Just to have it on record?
From one of the posters a few weeks ago, they went to the stealership for the oil consumption test and after an oil sample
was sent to Kia, they were told the reason was worn rings and being that was the diagnosis, if the engine went, it would
not be covered. Personally, I believe it to be a bogus reply, but what does one do? I suggested to have the poster get a copy
of the oil analysis, but never heard the outcome. I'd raise ****, but as said earlier, how can one fight the company, appeal
to Kia, contact NHSTA????

Bottom line, your call, but let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Ask yourself why you need an oil consumption test. Will that help you in any way?

I keep thinking, the only person to benefit from the oil consumption test would be the dealership, but I might be wrong.

If your engine eventually fails, I'd think Kia would cover the new engine under the recall, even if you never performed an oil consumption test.

maybe I'm paranoid, but I think getting the oil consumption test is only going to be used against you by the dealership. Heck, maybe the dealership is on bad terms with Kia for abusing the warranty work in the past, and a better option would be to find another dealership where they don't have to make excuses to force the customer to pay, and instead just have a good relationship with Kia corporate to get things covered by warranty or recall?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why? Because everyone on here was saying if your oil consumption becomes greater than 1 qt. Per 1000 miles than to start an oil consumption test and get a claim number opened with Kia.. Just look at some of the threads. Not trying to be argumentative just was following advice by fellow posters... Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From one of the posters a few weeks ago, they went to the stealership for the oil consumption test and after an oil sample
was sent to Kia, they were told the reason was worn rings and being that was the diagnosis, if the engine went, it would
not be covered. Personally, I believe it to be a bogus reply, but what does one do? I suggested to have the poster get a copy
of the oil analysis, but never heard the outcome. I'd raise ****, but as said earlier, how can one fight the company, appeal
to Kia, contact NHSTA????

Bottom line, your call, but let us know the outcome.
Just doing what the recommended advice was from fellow posters. Tons of discussions on car burning oil took to Kia for oil consumption. If your car is burning more than a qt. per 1000 miles start a test and call Kia to get a claim number. Now that I have done that everyone says it is not the thing to do..lol...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Your engine performed flawlessly and yet they replaced it for oil consumption. Now it seems Kia is doing a bout face....

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Sorry, I was assuming the new standard was that oil consumption didn't matter when evaluating engines for replacement.

If oil consumption can help you get a replacement engine, then I would be unsure what to do.

But if oil consumption doesn't matter for engine replacement, I feel like it will only be used against you. You can perform your own test to see whether your car consumes oil, so having the dealership perform the test is not going to reveal to you anything you can't find out for yourself.

But I'll keep my eyes open for any info I see about whether oil consumption would be used for evaluating whether the engine is subject to the replacement.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Just to add, the settlement to the class action suit is engine replacement due to the "debris" issue, not oil consumption.
Said this before, daughter's '17 Santa Fe 2.4, 72,000 miles never used oil, but in Sept. of this year, it dropped 2.5 qts
2 weeks after an oil change, so the consensus was that the company didn't fill it properly. From that time on, the car
used a tremendous amount of oil, kept adding/monitoring oil, and in October the KSDS cel came on, 19 miles later it
seized, Hyundai replaced engine.

I applauded their decision to replace the engines when abnormal oil consumption is noticed, but now I believe it to be
deplorable that Kia/Hyundai won't not only stand behind excessive oil consumption, but lay the blame back on the consumer,
when in reality it is probably do the the cylinders becoming out of round due to the crappy design.

Best advice, wait for it to seize and it will be replaced, but the only problem, like our '11 2.0T, adding oil constantly for
70,000 miles before replacement, but as the engine was operating perfectly, who knows how much longer it would run,
maybe 40, 50, 100k miles? I surely wouldn't know, but being around cars my entire life, the engine would have been
replaced one way or another.

Second thought, beat them to the punch, send the oil in for a analysis and see what elements are in the oil, then,
depending on results, make an appointment with the dealer for oil consumption and if they give any reply about
ring wear, you'll have the ammunition in hand to show them.

Here are some metal results that can be determined from an oil analysis:
Metal Tests Some of the metals tested for and usually included in analysis of an oil sample and their potential sources are:
Aluminum (Al): Thrust washers, bearings and pistons are made of this metal. High readings can be from piston skirt scuffing, excessive ring groove wear, broken thrust washers, etc.
Boron, Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorous, and Zinc: These metals are normally from the lubricating oil additive package. They involve detergents, dispersants, extreme-pressure additives, etc.
Chromium (CR): Normally associated with piston rings. High levels can be caused by dirt coming through the air intake or broken rings.
Copper (CU), Tin: These metals are normally from bearings or bushings and valve guides. Oil coolers also can contribute to copper readings along with some oil additives. In a new engine these results will normally be high during break-in, but will decline in a few hundred hours.
Iron (Fe): This can come from many places in the engine such as liners, camshafts, crankshaft, valve train, timing gears, etc.
Lead (Pb): Use of regular gasoline will cause very high test results. Also associated with bearing wear, but fuel source (leaded gasoline) and sampling contamination (use of galvanized containers for sampling) are critical in interpreting this metal.
Silicon (Si): High readings generally indicate dirt or fine sand contamination from a leaking air intake system. This would act as an abrasive, causing excessive wear.
Sodium (Na): High readings of this metal normally are associated with a coolant leak, but can be from an oil additive package.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts