Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Kia Optima won’t start!
Back Story
I went to pass someone on the interstate and the following indicators came on: battery, oil, engine, and key not detected. I pulled over, turned my car off hoping to reset the indicator but it wouldn’t restart. I popped my hood, seen smoke near the battery, went to restart it again and saw smoke again. After that, nothing at all still.
Currently
It’s in a repair shop but they can’t figure out the issue. They placed it on the computer and it said that my catalytic converter sensor & O2 sensors were bad but that wouldn’t prevent it from starting.Another thing they noticed was that the “key not detected” indicator was still displaying even with the key in the car. Bc of this,The repair shop is recommending that I get a NEW KEY FOB & have it reprogrammed because their conclusion is that’s the reason it’s not starting…..

Has anyone else had an issue similar or have any suggestions???

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
Check engine light on?
When you say it doesn't start, does the engine turn over and not start or it doesn't turn at all?
Hear any starter noise, click or metallic sound of the starter drive engaging the flex plate?
Tried turning the engine over by hand using the crank bolt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check engine light on?
When you say it doesn't start, does the engine turn over and not start or it doesn't turn at all?
Hear any starter noise, click or metallic sound of the starter drive engaging the flex plate?
Tried turning the engine over by hand using the crank bolt?
Yes, the check engine light, battery light, oil light & key not detected light all came on at once. My engine turned over once( when I popped hood) let out a little smoke but it wouldn’t turn over anymore afterwards. Now it’s just dead silent when hitting my push to start. Radio & lights come on but I can’t get it to crank. The “key not detected” light comes on even when key is in car. I’ve also replaced the batteries and tried a new battery under the hood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back Story
I went to pass someone on the interstate and the following indicators came on: battery, oil, engine, and key not detected. I pulled over, turned my car off hoping to reset the indicator but it wouldn’t restart. I popped my hood, seen smoke near the battery, went to restart it again and saw smoke again. After that, nothing at all still.
Currently
It’s in a repair shop but they can’t figure out the issue. They placed it on the computer and it said that my catalytic converter sensor & O2 sensors were bad but that wouldn’t prevent it from starting.Another thing they noticed was that the “key not detected” indicator was still displaying even with the key in the car. Bc of this,The repair shop is recommending that I get a NEW KEY FOB & have it reprogrammed because their conclusion is that’s the reason it’s not starting…..

Back Story
Currently

my 2013 optima sxl quit running the same way. Needs a new engine. How many miles?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Incredibly, this EXACT thing happened to me today coming home from vacation. Was passing someone on the interstate at around 75 mph and the car just cut off. Luckily I continued to glide at a decent rate of speed and was able to get over into the emergency lane without incident. When I popped the hood, there was a strong smell of electrical burn as well, although I didn't see any smoke. Had to get it towed the rest of of the way home. It will not start or even attempt to start. I have a physical key but I don't hear anything when I turn the key. All of the dash lights go through the usual sequence, but that's it. I would think if the motor had locked up, I would have heard something or it would have slowed down abruptly. If I can't figure it out tomorrow, I'll have to get it towed to the dealership.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,210 Posts
Forgot to add, mine is a 2015 Optima as well with the standard 2.4 liter engine. Thanks
Was the KSDS update ever ihstalled? Chances are the motor is shot, but if the update has been installed, check code for CEL, if update was never installed, sit down when the talk to the stealership/Kia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Incredibly, this EXACT thing happened to me today coming home from vacation. Was passing someone on the interstate at around 75 mph and the car just cut off. Luckily I continued to glide at a decent rate of speed and was able to get over into the emergency lane without incident. When I popped the hood, there was a strong smell of electrical burn as well, although I didn't see any smoke. Had to get it towed the rest of of the way home. It will not start or even attempt to start. I have a physical key but I don't hear anything when I turn the key. All of the dash lights go through the usual sequence, but that's it. I would think if the motor had locked up, I would have heard something or it would have slowed down abruptly. If I can't figure it out tomorrow, I'll have to get it towed to the dealership.
. Same here sped up to get on the highway off the ramp and my car just shut off on me same smoke and electrical smell . All the lights and electrical work but the engine won’t start it’s not making no noise I had to get it towed to the Kia dealer they can’t see it until Tuesday and update on yours ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts