Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decide to take a peak to see if there is any carbon build up on the pistons. This is what I found at 60k miles. This was number 2 piston on my 2014 turbo. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Look fine. Piston carbon isn't an issue. The issue on GDI engines is the build up of carbon on the back of the valves due to the fuel mix not passing over them. Boroscope the intake tract to where the valves are and you'll see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look fine. Piston carbon isn't an issue. The issue on GDI engines is the build up of carbon on the back of the valves due to the fuel mix not passing over them. Boroscope the intake tract to where the valves are and you'll see.
Hi, what needs to be down to clean valves? Seafoam or other induction system treatment?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, what needs to be down to clean valves? Seafoam or other induction system treatment?

No Seafoam is junk, CRC makes a kit specifically designed for GDI and turbo GDI engines. You can find it on Amazon and most parts stores. Its called CRC GDI IVD intake valve and turbo cleaner p/n 05319. It's around $15 bucks.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always used amsoil power foam every 15k miles. I am curious too what the valves look like. Doesn’t that require removing the intake manifold?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have always used amsoil power foam every 15k miles. I am curious too what the valves look like. Doesn’t that require removing the intake manifold?

It may but you may be able to fish you boroscope thru depending on the flexabilityand length.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may but you may be able to fish you boroscope thru depending on the flexabilityand length.
I’ll have to check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
If nothing's been done so far, most-all S. Korean four cylinder turbos find the back of the valves a clumpy mess at 60k. Seven year-old engine having only 60k, usually means lots of city driving.
Looking forward to Bob's report-back and upcoming treatment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts