Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Optima LX. My car is pinging and it's driving me nuts. I use High grade gas which stops it from pinging. With gas prices the way they are I am going to stop putting in high grade gas. I was wondering about sea foam? I have heard alot about it, but I'm kinda of nervous about using it. Can someone help me out with some info on it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
241 Posts
I have a 2015 Optima LX. My car is pinging and it's driving me nuts. I use High grade gas which stops it from pinging. With gas prices the way they are I am going to stop putting in high grade gas. I was wondering about sea foam? I have heard alot about it, but I'm kinda of nervous about using it. Can someone help me out with some info on it.
You should probably get the vehicle's knock sensor system checked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think about that, I am calling Kia after I post this.
Ok, so the girl at Kia told me that it's normal for the car to ping if I put low grade gas, that I should come in and have a fuel induction done for 149.99. Hahahaha Been there done that not doing it again.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
241 Posts
Ok, so the girl at Kia told me that it's normal for the car to ping if I put low grade gas, that I should come in and have a fuel induction done for 149.99. Hahahaha Been there done that not doing it again.
It's not normal if a car calls for regular unleaded but what does she know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had two Optimas (LX 2.4) that did that. Both were leased so they went back to Kia after three years. 89 octane solved the problem. I assumed they had carbon buildup being GDI. I might have tried a valve cleaner if I kept the car. So, is it normal? Maybe. But I don't think it's actually designed to run that way.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
10 Posts
I have a 2014 Optima with the 2.4 engine, and I have never used anything other than 87 octane (except that one time that I accidentally pressed the 93). No knocking or pinging here, although I only have 60k miles, so maybe it just hasn't started yet. I add some fuel injection cleaner twice a year, so maybe that's helping as well. I also changed my spark plugs at 40K miles, just for the heck of it. For $30 and about 20 minutes of your time, it might be worth trying.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,297 Posts
I have a 2014 Optima with the 2.4 engine, and I have never used anything other than 87 octane (except that one time that I accidentally pressed the 93). No knocking or pinging here, although I only have 60k miles, so maybe it just hasn't started yet. I add some fuel injection cleaner twice a year, so maybe that's helping as well. I also changed my spark plugs at 40K miles, just for the heck of it. For $30 and about 20 minutes of your time, it might be worth trying.
Oooof must be nice to get a set of spark plugs for $30! The 2.0T engine costs like $30 PER plug!

But I wanted to mention "Top Tier" gasoline. It is designed to help keep the engine clean, and I figure with the GDI issues might as well get all the help you can when it comes to buildup.

Here are the brands of gasoline that are top tier:

TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands

Licensed Retail BrandsCountries
76USA
ARCOUSA
ARCOMexico
AXIONArgentina
AlohaUSA
BeaconUSA
Break TimeUSA
BreakawayUSA
BreakawayCanada
CITGOUSA
CenexUSA
ChevronMexico
ChevronCanada
ChevronUSA
Co-opCanada
ConocoUSA
Costco WholesaleUSA
Costco WholesaleCanada
Costco WholesaleMexico
Costco WholesalePuerto Rico
CountryMarkUSA
CountryMark PLUSUSA
Diamond ShamrockUSA
EcoMaxxPuerto Rico
EnergyMexico
EssoCanada
Express MartUSA - Wisconsin
ExxonUSA
Fast FuelUSA
G500Mexico
GetGoUSA
HFN - Hawaii Fueling NetworkUSA
Harmons Fuel StopUSA
HeleUSA
HolidayUSA
Kirkland Signature GasolineUSA
Kirkland Signature GasolineMexico
Kirkland Signature GasolineCanada
Kwik StarUSA
Kwik TripUSA
MFA Oil Petro-Card 24USA
MarathonUSA
MeijerUSA
Meijer ExpressUSA
Metro PetroUSA
MobilUSA
MobilCanada
Ohana FuelsUSA
PUMAGuatemala
PUMAEl Salvador
PUMAHonduras
PUMAPanama
PUMAPuerto Rico
Phillips 66USA
Phillips 66Puerto Rico
PrimaxColombia
QTUSA
QuikTripUSA
RangerUSA
Ranger FuelUSA
Ranger MustangUSA
Ranger StallionUSA
Ranger ThoroughbredUSA
ReedersUSA
Rendichicas PlusMexico
Road RangerUSA
Rutter'sUSA
ShamrockUSA
ShellUSA
ShellCanada
ShellPuerto Rico
Simonson Station StoresUSA
Simply GasCanada
SinclairUSA
SunocoUSA
TempoCanada
TexacoUSA
TexacoCanada
TexacoPanama
TexacoGuatemala
TexacoHonduras
TexacoEl Salvador
TexacoColombia
TexacoPuerto Rico
Tobacco Outlet Plus GroceryUSA
Ultra Top FuelPuerto Rico
ValeroUSA
Value AmericaUSA
WOWUSA
Win WinUSA
YPFArgentina
usFuelMexico

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
326 Posts
Have your dealer do a top end clean. I had the same issue way back on my 2011 and the dealer did a top end clean and it solved the issue. My old Optima is still running around with 130K.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
10 Posts
Oooof must be nice to get a set of spark plugs for $30! The 2.0T engine costs like $30 PER plug!
I checked my receipt to double check, and the spark plugs were only $17.76. I used 4 Autolite Iridium XP at $4.44 each from Rock Auto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts