Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2015 Optima EX a couple of years ago and don't understand most/many of the owner's manual instructions. I'm sure that my being an old codger contributes to my misunderstandings.

The dashboard "radio" controls are confusing to me. They don't match my manual. I don't even try most features. For instance, I use bluetooth, but don't subscribed to SirusXM . . . fm radio is fine for me.

I can't get the GPS to interrupt the radio. It's one or the other; not both. That's a problem around town, but especially frustrating when I'm "on the road". While traveling long distance, I'm either constantly changing stations or I use a phone app for music. I would like to be able to choose where I get music/news/etc (either radio or phone) while getting GPS directions from my phone. I was told by a Kia dealer that I don't have the right system to get "everything" directly from the car. That was last year sometimes. I think he was saying that I can't get gps (in this car) w/o phone.

In other words, I want the GPS directions to interrupt whatever I'm listening to with turn by turn directions.

How can I do that? Step by step instruction will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
22 Posts
No matter what car you have, if you're using FM radio and your phone for GPS, the phone won't interrupt the radio. Your best option is using your phone for both your music and GPS and connect your phone to your car to listen. From there, it should be a setting inside your phone to turn on the turn by turn navigation that will take priority over your music.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
One option is to make sure your phone sends its GPS sounds to the phone's loudspeaker, so you hear your phone directly, not through the car. If you have a Samsung phone, you can specify that sound from the phone goes to different outputs, so you can send your phone's GPS to the phone's loudspeaker, and all the other music/audio to the car's bluetooth.

Another option is to use your car's GPS navigation, so that the car's GPS navigation will interrupt the car's radio and bluetooth audio.

Another option is like mentioned above, use your phone for all sounds, GPS navigation and radio etc. You'll need to find out where your favorite radio stations stream their music, whether it's a website or app. If you listen to NPR, they have an app and a website to be able to listen to their radio on your phone.

Personally, I'd suggest the last option. It's should be the most straightforward to configure, where you just set the car to use bluetooth audio from the phone all the time. Also, the phone will have superior GPS Navigation, because it has access to live traffic and other superior navigation technology that the car just can't match.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
"Also, the phone will have superior GPS Navigation, because it has access to live traffic and other superior navigation technology that the car just can't match."
True for the most part...except if you happen to be in an area with no cell signal, in which case the phone navigation is not much any better that the car navigation. Sure you can download maps to your cell phone but again, without a cell signal you ain't getting no access to live traffic.

Not trying to argue that one is better than the other, just that both have their pros and cons...

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Agreed, I use my car-based NAV system every now and then, it's nice to have and I would want to have car-based NAV in every car I have.

Who knows when your cell phone will break or get stolen, so make sure your car can get you home without a cell phone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts