Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
This is the same "Tesla Style" stereo unit that has been discussed on this forum for years now.

We were going to carry it on our site, but after lots of complaints of issues, we decided to pass on it.

Do a search here on the forum for "Tesla Style" radio or stereo, and you should find a bunch of threads on it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is the same "Tesla Style" stereo unit that has been discussed on this forum for years now.

We were going to carry it on our site, but after lots of complaints of issues, we decided to pass on it.

Do a search here on the forum for "Tesla Style" radio or stereo, and you should find a bunch of threads on it.
This is the newest iteration, it seems. It runs Android 9, and is much faster.

I read the other threads, and it seems people with SX or higher models were having issues, especially with the infinity sound system.

I myself have the LX, with the bottom tier stereo, no amp, no camera, no navigation, and manual A/C. It may work better for me.

Are there any threads with that type of car as the starting point? Because I could not locate any.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
This is the newest iteration, it seems. It runs Android 9, and is much faster.

I read the other threads, and it seems people with SX or higher models were having issues, especially with the infinity sound system.

I myself have the LX, with the bottom tier stereo, no amp, no camera, no navigation, and manual A/C. It may work better for me.

Are there any threads with that type of car as the starting point? Because I could not locate any.
Ahh ok gotcha. Not too sure on that one TBH.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So, I got the unit in two days ago, and installed it the same day.

Installation went well, although there was a snag when I powered it up the first time. Turns out you have to connect the reverse camera detector wire, even if you don't have a camera... But once that was done, things went pretty well.

As far as companies go, this one is pretty good. Their tech support may take a bit to get in touch with, but once you do, they know their stuff. I was able to get answers to all my questions, and had my most outstanding issues resolved satisfactorily.

The units are a decently advanced piece of kit. A surefire way to breathe new life into an older vehicle. They are a bit clunky to use, but speed is decent, and once you get the hang of it, the overall experience is not too bad. The ability to add on various systems such as a dashcam is also a plus, although you may have difficulty using your stock Aux inputs and USB connections. In my case, I had to just bypass the stock connections down between the 12v power ports completely, and just connected to the unit directly. Fortunately, you can do so by routing extension cables where you wish. The ability to connect to a USB drive is also welcome.

There are a few areas that need improvement, such as the neutered Bluetooth capabilities. You can only connect your phone, not a phone for calls, and a second device for audio, for example. One major area where this is an issue is if you wish to integrate a HUD. There are several units now which connect to your phone via either Bluetooth, or wireless casting. Including these abilities in the head unit, thus taking the load off of your phone,and putting more utility into the integrated navigation capabilities would be a welcome upgrade.

On the positive, the sound system setup is top-notch, and really improved my sound system, which I had already replaced the speakers and added a DVC Subwoofer to. The kit includes a connection for an external amplifier, should you go that route. There's not only a 16-channel EQ, but you CA. Control the bass by frequency and amplitude, as well as control all speakers individually.

One other area of concern is the lack of sufficient auto-dimming, or blue light filtering, for nighttime use.

Overall, this was a good purchase, and I am planning to add a few things on to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts