Kia Optima Forums banner

PHEV Watchdog

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  LogikKiller 
#1 ·
Hello to the community.

I'm Daniel Santos, the developer of an Android App called the "PHEV Watchdog" (freely available on the playstore)

It's essentially a monitoring tool which retrieves through the communication OBD2 port the car's data and shows this on the App.
It will show the actual battery status (charge, health, voltage, temperature, etc...), cells, e-motors, and engine.
It will also keep track of the battery degradation and all your trips recorded with the App.

Beside that, the App syncs to a online server which consolidates all data between all users.
Look for https://phevwatchdog.net website and to see the live data, use user: showme password: showme)

I've developed this for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but lately I've been asked by other to support the Hyundai/KIA PHEV models.

So for the last couple of months with the help of some users I've been modifying the App to support the Niro PHEV, Ioniq PHEV and Optima PHEV.

I'm at testing phase right now and it's going well. I'm debugging the App with the scripts that some users have provided and it's looking good.

Example screenshots from a Niro PHEV:

So just a couple of days more of testing and I'll be sending the first beta to the users who are collaborating.

Almost there ?

See less See more
#3 ·
Quick update on the devolpment.

I'm about (shouldn't take long) to release the new version of the App, where I've added support for the OPTIMA PHEV.

It will be experimental in this version but I've tested with the help of some users and it seems to work quite good.

So stay tuned, I'll be announcing here the release on the playstore (Android only).

#11 ·
v1.1.8 now available: PHEV Watchdog - Apps on Google Play
  • Added support for Kia XCeed PHEV model (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Fixed capacity for Kia Optima SW PHEV (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Fixed charge and capacity calculation for Kia/Hyundai PHEV models (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Fixed display SoC calculation (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Fixed capacity/SoH widget not drawing (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Fixed internet activity tab indicator (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Fixed compass display (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Several other minor bug fixes (Build: 2020DEC26)
  • Several adjustments to the widget screens (Build: 2020DEC26)

#12 ·
v1.2.2 now available: PHEV Watchdog - Apps on Google Play
  • Fixed start live data not cancelling when no communication (Build: 2021JAN08)
  • Fixed landscape orientation screen issues (Build: 2021JAN08)
  • Fixed energy and fuel cost parsing (Build: 2021JAN08)
  • Fixed About screen not displaying correctly (Build: 2021JAN08)
  • Fixed several issues of the Charts screen (Build: 2021JAN08)
  • Fixed several issues of the Nearby screen (Build: 2021JAN08)
  • Several other minor bug fixes and adjustments (Build: 2021JAN08)

#14 ·
Looking forward to trying this out. Picking up a 2017 Optima Hybrid PHEV next Thursday. I had a 2014 Optima EX which i loved but the poor thing spun a bearing on Monday and seized. It had 135,000 miles and No I was dumb and chose not to take it in for the recall which very well could have caught the problem during the warranty period. thats on me and I dont blame Kia at all because they caught their mistake and I chose to ignore it. Anywho Im excited as I like the Optima platform and always thought that PHEV made most sense for me. This app will get tested by me for sure.
Im wondering - and I see others have the same thought what the future holds for the Optima PHEV because I love the idea of adding more battery capacity to it - maybe as much as double, but I cant find anything about it online.

Presumably It uses a bluetooth OBD adaptor? I already have one they are a lifesaver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.