Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Optima owners, I have a 2016 SXT and recently started experiencing issues where my passenger side headlight shuts off after a few minutes. Once I stop the car or turn the lights off the light will come back on and then go off again. It seems to me that the wiring is making it run too hot (if that’s even a thing) I have changed bulbs and the exact same thing happened. I took it to the stealership, and they said it was the bulb wanted $400 to replace it. I think the issue is upstream from the bulb since both the OEM bulb did this as well as the replacement. Has anyone else had this happen. Thanks for reading.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,675 Posts
Greetings fellow Optima owners, I have a 2016 SXT and recently started experiencing issues where my passenger side headlight shuts off after a few minutes. Once I stop the car or turn the lights off the light will come back on and then go off again. It seems to me that the wiring is making it run too hot (if that’s even a thing) I have changed bulbs and the exact same thing happened. I took it to the stealership, and they said it was the bulb wanted $400 to replace it. I think the issue is upstream from the bulb since both the OEM bulb did this as well as the replacement. Has anyone else had this happen. Thanks for reading.
This issue is 100% the aftermarket bulbs that you are using.

When we first started in this industry, we were selling these cheaper bulbs that we were getting from China, and didn’t realize that you can’t do that with these vehicles, as they are very finicky.

It’s not like you need to spend $400, we sell a set made specifically for your vehicle for less than $80 including shipping. If you want something better quality than that, we sell the OSRAM Bulbs that are 20% brighter than stock and less than $200 shipped.

You can find the links to both of those on our website below:

Morimoto XB HID D3S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store ($79.95 shipped)

OSRAM XENARC 66340 CBI HID D3S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store ($184.95 shipped)

The issue that you’re describing is caused by the internal filament of the bulbs not designed for Kia and Hyundai‘s electrical system. I guarantee you swapping out your bulbs for a quality set like either of the ones that we linked above will correct the issue you’re experiencing.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This issue is 100% the aftermarket bulbs that you are using.

When we first started in this industry, we were selling these cheaper bulbs that we were getting from China, and didn’t realize that you can’t do that with these vehicles, as they are very finicky.

It’s not like you need to spend $400, we sell a set made specifically for your vehicle for less than $80 including shipping. If you want something better quality than that, we sell the OSRAM Bulbs that are 20% brighter than stock and less than $200 shipped.

You can find the links to both of those on our website below:

Morimoto XB HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store ($79.95 shipped)

OSRAM XENARC 66140 CBI HID D1S Bulbs - K5 Optima Store ($184.95 shipped)

The issue that you’re describing is caused by the internal filament of the bulbs not designed for Kia and Hyundai‘s electrical system. I guarantee you swapping out your bulbs for a quality set like either of the ones that we linked above will correct the issue you’re experiencing.

I am going to purchase a set and will let you know how it goes. My question would be, the original OEM bulb did the same thing- was that just a matter of it getting old and worn out? thank you for your post.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,675 Posts
I am going to purchase a set and will let you know how it goes. My question would be, the original OEM bulb did the same thing- was that just a matter of it getting old and worn out? thank you for your post.
Sounds great, I would love to hear your feedback.

If that was the case, I would have tried swapping the bulb that was having that issue to the other side to see if the issue moved over as well.

If it didn't, then it was definitely the bulb, as they are only good for about 5-6 years of usage. However, if the issue did not move over to the other side, it could be a failing ballast.

But 90% of the time, it is the bulbs that will cause that to happen.

You're very welcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts