Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SXL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed that the plastic molding that goes around my panoramic sunroof is starting to fade and has some blotchy marks on it. Wondering if anybody has restored these before? I was thinking about using that "back to black" product but wanted to get someone else's opinion first. Here's the best picture I could get of the fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
91 Posts
I'm not quite sure, but the bumper to bumper should cover most defects. For example, you see that rubber weather stripping on the moonroof right there on your picture. Last year mine was peeling off for no reason and the dealership replaced it under warranty. Would have cost me near $1000 out the door according to dealership.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

It doesn't hurt just to ask and find out. Can save you a lot of money and have professional work done.

·
Registered
2013 SXL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not quite sure, but the bumper to bumper should cover most defects. For example, you see that rubber weather stripping on the moonroof right there on your picture. Last year mine was peeling off for no reason and the dealership replaced it under warranty. Would have cost me near $1000 out the door according to dealership.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

It doesn't hurt just to ask and find out. Can save you a lot of money and have professional work done.
Alrighty, I'll for sure take it over to the dealership before I wrap it. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2013 SXL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't understand why it's not glossy, mine looks like glass?
My guess is that the previous owner put some cheap wax product on it and took the gloss off of it. Or maybe it has just sat in the sun its entire life and has lost its gloss. Not really sure but it's annoying

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was running into the issue on my 2019 SX as well (The Florida sun is unforgiving). The fade had splotches and looked terrible; almost like a clear coat failure.

My solution was:
  1. Wash thoroughly (I washed only the molding)
  2. Clay bar (I used heavy pressure and a healthy amount of quick detailing spray for lubrication)
  3. Hand Polish/wax (I used Meguiar's 3-in-1, applied by hand, with heavy pressure)
I tried it in a few test spots before doing it on the whole molding and they look pretty good. Not glass black, but definitely much better than before, and there are no more splotches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently noticed that the plastic molding that goes around my panoramic sunroof is starting to fade and has some blotchy marks on it. Wondering if anybody has restored these before? I was thinking about using that "back to black" product but wanted to get someone else's opinion first. Here's the best picture I could get of the fading.

my 2017 sxl has the exact same fading as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts