Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Premium Touring Package. SWP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can gather this is not an uncommon problem, but I was wondering how many on here it has happened to and what color car it happened to.
Mine is SWP and it first happened on the trunk. One day washing it with a garden hose with a nozzle but normal household pressure an area about 8"x12" came up in about 1 inch size flakes. I have sanded it down and put a coat of primer on. Needs more sanding and primer. A couple of days ago quite a bit above the right door turned loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,574 Posts
I have an '112.0T SWP a no problems, but must say you're not alone when it comes to paint deterioration as a search reveals many with the problem.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Once again you are not the only one experiencing paint issues. Paint issues are mostly occurring on SWP cars.

On the roof of our 15’ there is a small area towards the windshield where the paint is cracking and a small chip has came off but it’s not really a huge problem as of now.

SWP is a BEAUTIFUL color but knowing about the paint issues I probably wouldn’t purchase one considering it seems like the SWP is quicker to chip off.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Premium Touring Package. SWP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the clear, pearl and base are bonded to each other well just not to that green primer

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
Paint started to peel on my wife’s 14 sorento. Body shop said it didn’t adhere to the primer correctly. Had to completely strip hood to bare metal and repaint. It’s a know problem across the line with SWP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
145 Posts
After I got mine fixed I found people were getting money from Kia. Anyone with this issue should file a claim

There is a thread here that outlines what to do, but in summary, go to Kia.com, click on Owners, then on contact us. Fill out the form, being as specific as you can, upload pictures, again, as specific as you can. They will contact you to begin the process. You will be assigned a specific person to work with.
They are going to need proof of ownership (i.e. registration, or purchase contract etc). Pictures are vital- every little bubble and peel.
They will ask for quotes from paint and body shops. It is time intensive and takes a while, but it works if you are consistant and responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts